Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Luna, and actually the whole of DS2, is designed to give you a grace period if you get invaded once or twice, win or lose, so if you had tried again you'd probably have been golden.

Yeah you'll get 1 person summoned on you immediately, short delay on 2nd, then there's a long delay before you're eligible to be invaded again the Belfry.

It's also a completely optional area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can burn an effigy at a bonfire to turn off multiplayer in that area for half an hour. Wouldn't help in areas where you don't start near a bonfire (like Belfry Luna :v:) but it's something.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Luna, and actually the whole of DS2, is designed to give you a grace period if you get invaded once or twice, win or lose, so if you had tried again you'd probably have been golden.

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah you'll get 1 person summoned on you immediately, short delay on 2nd, then there's a long delay before you're eligible to be invaded again the Belfry.

It's also a completely optional area.

I appreciate that things could have been even worse here, but on the other hand there's no way for you to know any of this your first time through. Also getting involved in PvP at all is kind of a failure state for me.

Nihilarian posted:

You can burn an effigy at a bonfire to turn off multiplayer in that area for half an hour. Wouldn't help in areas where you don't start near a bonfire (like Belfry Luna :v:) but it's something.

I'd actually forgotten about that. I don't think I ever did that, anyway; I was saving effigies to restore my maximum health cap. Having "limited" invasions for 30 minutes didn't seem a good trade-off. Maybe if it was a permanent toggle?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I appreciate that things could have been even worse here, but on the other hand there's no way for you to know any of this your first time through. Also getting involved in PvP at all is kind of a failure state for me.

I guess if it even being a possibility is a turn-off then yeah DS2 is absolutely not the game for you; half of what it does is play with the invasion mechanics. DS2 does make sure that you get some time to yourself, even if it's not obvious.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Maybe it was different on the consoles but when I played on PC invasions were incredibly uncommon outside of the Bellbro areas. This was right after launch too so it wasn't a "nobody is playing anymore" thing.

The Bellbro areas were pretty relentless, though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Quick note is that there's actually 2 summons you can have for the Sentinels. The other one is in that room with the exploding barrels where you pull the switch to open the gate right before the corridor to the boss. Then you can have a full 3 on 3 brawl going.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Antistar01 posted:

I'm going to potentially go against the grain and say that I really don't like Belfry Luna - for its forced PvP.
I'm curious - can you elaborate on why pvp messes with your experience so much?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm guessing it's the disadvantage that someone who's just playing to get through the game has against someone who maximises their skills and equipment for PvP effectiveness and who just does PvP all day every day.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

There are a couple of reasons and they're sort of personal, but I guess it's not that big a deal.

The first is that I suffer from social anxiety disorder. One of the things I get out of computer games is a break from all the stress - and it is a lot of stress. I'll put it this way; my hair started going grey when I was seventeen. Anyway it's probably pretty obvious why people invading your game to attack you doesn't mix well with social anxiety disorder.

The other reason is that I really don't like competitive multiplayer games. Competitive anything, really. I feel the same way about competitive sport. (It's not the physical co-ordination/exertion part; I could do it, I just always hated it. Physical activities that aren't competitive are fine.) It took a while for things to crystallise for me - like I said I used to play competitive games with my friends at LAN parties (though I was usually trying to convince them to play co-op games instead) - but eventually I realised what was bothering me all that time.

I hate the feeling of trying to beat someone - defeat them, stop them, whatever. And I hate the feeling of someone trying to do that to me. Even worse when it's a team-based thing. It feels bizarre to me to do that to people who are friends, or acquaintances, or even total strangers if it's an online game, for example. To me it's always felt like... isn't there enough conflict in the world already without artificially manufacturing more? Why can't we all just get along, etc.

I realise I'm in the minority. But as bizarre as that point of view likely sounds to... probably most people, really - to me, not feeling that way seems just as strange.

TL;DR - I'm a big ol' pacifist weenie.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I get annoyed at invasions cause I just don't find pvp fun in these games. It's a pretty different playstyle to pve so either I get someone who knows what they're doing and just kills me instantly and I lose all my progress, or I get someone who doesn't know what they're doing and we spend ten minutes dancing around slowly chipping away at each other's health and burning through our estus until one of us eventually wins through attrition. Either way it's really boring and a waste of time to me.

Plus I'm playing on Australian internet so even when I try to do something vaguely smart like bait out an attack and counter it, usually it's just me hitting them on my screen but none of my attacks actually connect and they roll away and then I get backstabbed while they're on the other side of the room.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a reason why I don't like the belfries: Dark Souls only had one rear end in a top hat covenant and it was perfectly capable of making its designated area a living hell. This game has two and multiple areas. I'd expand on this but spoilers forbid me from saying anything past the fact this is an extremely badly executed idea.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You do not need a special reason to dislike something. We all work differently and like and dislike different things. For example, some people feel an adrenaline rush and/or triumph when they defeat a boss that they previously lost to ten times. Others feel almost nothing at all when this happens. Likewise, some people feel no excitement whatsoever when they invade or get invaded and no joy or really any positive feeling when they defeat another player in PvP. As a rule, you should never assume that which triggers a reward feeling to you also does so to another specific person.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Antistar01 posted:

The other reason is that I really don't like competitive multiplayer games. Competitive anything, really. I feel the same way about competitive sport. (It's not the physical co-ordination/exertion part; I could do it, I just always hated it. Physical activities that aren't competitive are fine.) It took a while for things to crystallise for me - like I said I used to play competitive games with my friends at LAN parties (though I was usually trying to convince them to play co-op games instead) - but eventually I realised what was bothering me all that time.

I hate the feeling of trying to beat someone - defeat them, stop them, whatever. And I hate the feeling of someone trying to do that to me. Even worse when it's a team-based thing. It feels bizarre to me to do that to people who are friends, or acquaintances, or even total strangers if it's an online game, for example. To me it's always felt like... isn't there enough conflict in the world already without artificially manufacturing more? Why can't we all just get along, etc.

I feel similar about Dark Souls invasions. Balanced PvP is great, but it seems predatory and bad sportsmanship to pit players who are great at it against newbies still trying to learn PvE. AI will never be as punishing as skilled humans.

Once in this game I put some pillars and debris that made a large continuous circle between me and an invader, and ran around the debris for 25 minutes to keep him from killing me (he eventually emoted warcry and left). Bad sportsmanship? Yep, but I'd just made a lot of progress in an awful area that was already frustrating and I was pissed at the invader for potentially wrecking it. It wasted my time, but it also wasted his, so :shrug:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

anilEhilated posted:

Here's a reason why I don't like the belfries: Dark Souls only had one rear end in a top hat covenant and it was perfectly capable of making its designated area a living hell. This game has two and multiple areas. I'd expand on this but spoilers forbid me from saying anything past the fact this is an extremely badly executed idea.

There's a big difference between the Forest Hunters in DS1 and their equivalents in this game that make this comparison unfair to me, but i want to play safe with spoilers too.

I like them, Belfry Luna in particular because of a thing that happened when i first got to this area. They make their areas much more dangerous to explore and keep me on my toes. That said, sometimes i just don't feel like dealing with invasions too, so i understand people in the thread voicing their complaints. But then i also have a lot of fun playing hide and seek or doing other nice tricks to waste their time.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 30, 2017

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

anilEhilated posted:

I think Geop has been to one of these areas already because his record scratch intro to one of the episodes showed him opening the mimic chest in a zone beyond it, but we haven't actually gotten there in the LP yet.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Also bellbros are good, because titanite chunks are completely obnoxious to get in this game, and by the time I had gotten enough chunks to upgrade both my caestuses in a recent run, I already had two slabs from bellbroing :byodood:

Slabs are way easier to get than chunks in this game without the infinite respawn Covenant of Champions and I have no idea why :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/mk_mot13/status/894372769302945792

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Glencour is an npc summon I think added in the scholar edition.

And I'm genuinely pissed at how easy a time you had with the gargoyles. drat geop how dare you breeze through this game made of sharp glass and hot coals?

e: additionally the dogpile arena is eerily familiar to a dark souls 1 area. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 14, 2017

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I think Skeleton will always be my favourite Dark Souls NPC. No matter where you are, no matter where you're going, no matter what's happening, isn't it a little comforting to know - and to see - that there is a Skeleton out there too, doing their best just like you are?

Especially the one inside Goonther. That one's been earning its pay.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
There's another spot I don't think Geop has been to with a skeleton propped up against a wall with one hand by its head. Someone put down "Listen carefully, skeleton" next to it, which was pretty great.

Still the hands down best joke message I saw when I played DS2 was up near the Emerald Herald, "Woman ahead, therefore confidence required"
:lol:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Gargoyles are easier in Dark Souls 2, for some reason. Having a +8 mace definitely doesn't hurt though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The individual gargoyles aren't as hard, but there are more of them and the fight can go south in a big hurry.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

My favorite part of the video was the endless cavalcade of bloodstain spirits trying to pick up the key and falling over the edge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

Glencour is an npc summon I think added in the scholar edition.

And I'm genuinely pissed at how easy a time you had with the gargoyles. drat geop how dare you breeze through this game made of sharp glass and hot coals?

e: additionally the dogpile arena is eerily familiar to a dark souls 1 area. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.

It blew my mind a bit when I realized what the dogpile was.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My friends at the Little People Anti Defamation League will be in touch for your treatment of that height-different character Geop.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
That "try above" message in the bonfire room was in fact for the bonfire room itself, not the corridor leading out of it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Laputanmachine posted:

That "try above" message in the bonfire room was in fact for the bonfire room itself, not the corridor leading out of it.

I missed that message, should geop try locking on?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

That little kerfuffle with Vorgel the Sinner + All The Dogs is a parody of the Capra Demon fight. The "arena" is just a bigger version of the one you fight that dude in.

Although the Belfry Gargoyles are a joke on returning playthroughs or with significantly upgraded weapons, I found it to be a really engaging fight initially, despite the lack of originality. The fact that it's like six of them was immediately telegraphed, which so far as I'm concerned is a comedy beat. Fending them all off when you're at a disadvantage is a matter of creating space and keeping them all in your sights.

It's similar vs. the Ruin Sentinels, which are extremely possible to solo as well, but keeping them all in sight is the far more difficult and frustrating part. It felt really, really good to pummel them into submission on a cestus x cestus run.

...and speaking of, it's getting to be time Goonhilda had a weapon change-up.

Just sayin'.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm just going to say it since I'm pretty certain he's already well passed. I might have missed it, has Geop found the 4th (I think) Pursuer in bastille behind the invisible wall?

Garrand fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 15, 2017

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mazed posted:

...and speaking of, it's getting to be time Goonhilda had a weapon change-up.

Just sayin'.
Double cestus sounds interesting but the Large Club is pretty loving sweet.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The first time I fought Gargoyles I went there with an estoc. Luckily, it was fully upgraded and imbued with lightning, and I had nicely upgraded Elite Knight set.

It was not a very fun fight.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's kind of impressive how much less fun this game is without a mace.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

When I went through it with a mace/hammer only I got bored and stopped. :shobon:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

double nine posted:

Questionable.
There are more than enough weapons (even early starter stuff), which are interesting and fun for some build. Of course, if you value painless first playthrough progression only sorcerer with *pew pew* magic missiles come close.

Roll timing and direction? Weapon moveset and speed? Who cares. Just keep the distance and shoot blue projectiles all day every day.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 17, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The ring that increases poise damage does a lot to level the playing field for offbeat weapons in DS2. I really missed it in DS3.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OutofSight posted:

There are more than enough weapons (even early starter stuff), which are interesting and fun for a some build. Of course, if you value painless first playthrough progression only sorcerer with *pew pew* magic missiles come close.
Yeah, thing about that? Heide. One of those big slow knights takes roughly two thirds of your soul arrow charges and you are pretty unlikely to have a blunt weapon at that point if you don't go for the mace.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 15, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IDK, I tried a dex run once or twice and it never felt very satisfying to me. Now I admit that I dislike dual-wielding stuff so maybe that's the trick, but I didn't feel nearly as weak with a str build.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Dex is fine if you take the Rapier and never stop stabbing. Same with Spears (the basic Spear has a blunt-element R2 sweep!). Get the Old Leo Ring early and counterdamage fools into oblivion. Or katana like a loving loser, I guess. Generally, there's billions of weapons in DS2 and 80% of them are useable, so there will be loads of dex weapons too that everyone can have fun with. Hell, there's dex Greatswords, dex Halberds, TWO dex Ultra Great Swords (emphasizing because that's probably two more than you'd think), only one of the Curved Greatswords is Strength (but it exists, and there are Strength Daggers, Curved Swords, Twinblades...), etc.

The only dex weapon class I personally find just super boring is plain Scimitars because they don't really do anything, so if you try to use two of those like the dedicated dex-and-dual-wield starting class does (okay, one Scimitar, one Short Sword), you're probably not gonna have a good time. Powerstancing a Warped Sword and a Washing Pole, however, is a sight to behold...and the former IS a Curved Sword. Heck, DS2 really does have something for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

double nine posted:

IDK, I tried a dex run once or twice and it never felt very satisfying to me. Now I admit that I dislike dual-wielding stuff so maybe that's the trick, but I didn't feel nearly as weak with a str build.

Maybe it is because i am a pve and pvp guy, but DS2 dex has some amazing weapons with very good movesets.

King Katana with their good moveset and 150 counters. I swear, i want to live to see a FROM game with a bad katana.
Spears with their giant hitboxes and phantom range.
Rapier with phantom range and insane r1 dps.
Reapers are hard to use but fun against every shield turtle

If you invest more strength you get Curved Greatswords and my favourite greatswords form the DLCs.

Really, most of the interesting weapons always require some dipping into STR or DEX.

(Don't worry Geop. I made my point and will stop now.)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 17, 2017

• Locked thread