Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fine work, skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Dark Pyro Hand's a weird thing because its full scaling relies on a second effect you're never told about the whole game.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 15, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

A second effect? What's the second effect?

Well it's not a second unique thing or anything but "max hollowing".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artum posted:

Poise is basically worthless in dark souls 2 sadly geop, as in: stack poo poo tonnes of it and you can take one light hit with a longsword every 30 seconds. Theres a multiplier on 2 hand attacks so that with a dagger in 2 hands even if they're wearing havel's set you'll still stagger them.

Poise is really useful and functional you just have to have a fuckload of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since Geop's seen it now in the boss weapon list I'd like to say the roaring halberd is a cool-rear end weapon with a neat skull on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing as a punchomancer is just good, clean fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish the Old Dragonslayer had a bit more hp or something, just because I think his theme is one of the best in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

It being a heavier, more drums and deeper horns oriented version of half of Biggie and Small's original theme is great.

Geop said it pisses him off a bit but I think the Old Dragonslayer being in the game sort of drives home one of the game's major themes, it just won't be obvious for a while.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The people of Drangleic worship a trio of gods, Randall the Savage, Hogan the Hulk, and Andre the Giant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ruin Sentinels are a fight that expects you to figure out their weaknesses and how the fight works and gently caress you if you dont.

e: Bell bros best bros

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 29, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ilmucche posted:

Chilling in the belfry was great. When the game first came out i got loads of chunks there. Later just invading as a butterfly and watching people fight off other invaders was fun enough.

My favorite part of the game by far. Don't u fuckin touch my bell

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Antistar01 posted:

I'm going to potentially go against the grain and say that I really don't like Belfry Luna - for its forced PvP.

I don't do PvP. Not in any game, ever; not anymore. Not for many, many years - and even in the past, it was only with friends at LAN parties.

I've always wished for an option in the Dark Souls games to just disable invasions - and jolly co-op too if they think that's fair. That's fine by me; I don't want to do that either. I just want to be left alone, really. Since there isn't, unfortunately it means that I have to ALT-F4 out of the game if I'm invaded. I do it the instant the "invaded by" message comes up; I don't want to waste my time, or anyone else's - even if I'm tempted to think they may deserve it for choosing to invade people.

In DS1 I could just stay hollowed all the time and not worry about it too much. Not always an option, though; e.g. when doing the boss run to Ornstein and Smough yet again, in human form so I could summon Solaire to help. I remember getting repeatedly invaded by the same person there. But in DS2, where it doesn't matter if you're hollow or not, bad luck; you're going to get people trying to gank you no matter what... Well, I developed a habit of alt-tabbing out to the wiki whenever I entered a new area, to check a list of names of NPC invaders for that area. If I was invaded by someone whose name was not on that list, I would ALT-F4.

So when I came to Belfry Luna for the first time, and I was invaded by what turned out to be a real person who had chosen a character name that was suspiciously similar to one of the NPC invaders in the game...

They charged me with an incredibly massive ulta-greatsword (when I hadn't even found a normal greatsword yet by that stage), swinging it in great arcs that filled the room, seeming to hit me even when I was well out of range. It took me a moment to notice... was that lag? Then I was dead, and realised that I'd been ganked. I was pretty unhappy.

I don't like Belfry Luna. It's emblematic of one of the things I dislike the most about the Souls games.

(If you're wondering why I don't just block the DS games wholesale in my firewall or something, it's because I rely on the player messages and bloodstain phantoms to smooth the rough edges of the games' sometimes intentionally bad level design. Also I like the "don't give up, skeleton!" messages.)

Luna, and actually the whole of DS2, is designed to give you a grace period if you get invaded once or twice, win or lose, so if you had tried again you'd probably have been golden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I appreciate that things could have been even worse here, but on the other hand there's no way for you to know any of this your first time through. Also getting involved in PvP at all is kind of a failure state for me.

I guess if it even being a possibility is a turn-off then yeah DS2 is absolutely not the game for you; half of what it does is play with the invasion mechanics. DS2 does make sure that you get some time to yourself, even if it's not obvious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

Glencour is an npc summon I think added in the scholar edition.

And I'm genuinely pissed at how easy a time you had with the gargoyles. drat geop how dare you breeze through this game made of sharp glass and hot coals?

e: additionally the dogpile arena is eerily familiar to a dark souls 1 area. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.

It blew my mind a bit when I realized what the dogpile was.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

it's kind of impressive how much less fun this game is without a mace.

When I went through it with a mace/hammer only I got bored and stopped. :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

I think the only thing that feels off for everyone with the BSS is its drop rate, lol

Its been like six years and I've still never seen it drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OutofSight posted:

It's funny, because it is true.

So the real Dark Sauls 1 is suffering through a faith build? All those spell vendors and high-level spells hidden behind covenants. *shudder* I can say in DS2 and SotFS it is way more fun running a FTH focused build.

Dark Souls 1 is a nightmare with a dex/fth if you kill Petrus without realizing that dicks you out of Rhea's spells and that most dex weapons are garbage. I ended up half-salvaging it by the end by getting a Uchi +10 and sunlight blade.

• Locked thread