Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The slimy blob things you were talking about makes a triumphant return in New Game+. They lead to some awesome "kite them around the elevator" action although summoning Lucatiel and then running past everything worked just fine.

Anyway, I hadn't played DS II when Geop started the former thread, but now I have. I find it amazing how this game both manages to greatly improve upon Dark Souls and at the same time mess up a lot of what made it great. It's not unusual that a sequel both manages to improve on thing and make other things worse, but it rarely happens to the degree of Dark Souls 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Artum posted:

Poise is basically worthless in dark souls 2 sadly geop, as in: stack poo poo tonnes of it and you can take one light hit with a longsword every 30 seconds. Theres a multiplier on 2 hand attacks so that with a dagger in 2 hands even if they're wearing havel's set you'll still stagger them.
I've made a character with poise and it does its job. DS 2 mechanics also makes it much easier to stay (almost) fully mobile while having a lot of poise than it was in the first DS. There are problems though, such as the very slow regeneration (although you fully regenerate after being staggered), but you can get enough poise to take one stagger free hit from most enemies without investing too much in it.

I think other players generally deal more poise damage than humanoid sized enemies, so poise may be less effective in PvP, but I generally don't do much PvP and I'm not sure.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The Stone Ring is also convenient in that since it's rarely good against bosses, you can just swap it with a Covetous Silver Serpent Ring before boss battles. Since it's against bosses that the CSSR is the most useful, that works out nicely.

If you're starting as a sorcerer, you can probably get it right away.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
When fighting the ruin sentinels, Geop failed most, if not all, dodges. The reason for that I think, is an unintuitive consequence of the invincibility frames. Basically, they happen at the beginning of the roll which means you want to wait as long as your timing allows before rolling. Now, if someone in real life swung at you with a crowbar and you decided to dodge, you would need to start dodging as soon as possible in a desperate attempt to move your body far enough so that it gets out of the way of the crowbar. However, with Dark Souls logic, you should wait until the crowbar is say ten centimeters from your head, or whatever it's about to hit, and then start dodging so that you can phase trough it unharmed. You can see Geop trying to dodge as soon as the Ruin Sentinels wind up their attacks, which is intuitive due to real life experiences, but a bad idea in this game.

This was for me the biggest hurdle in dodging. As soon as I realized that I need to do the opposite of what seems intuitive, I became much better at dodging. I did know about the mechanics, but it was the very realization that all I know about dodging in real life will just betray me and needs to be thrown out that allowed me to consistently dodge in Dark Souls games.

Also, about the one running around naked. You may as well do so in this game. Unless you wear heavy armor (which also grants Poise) and is diligent about upgrading them, armor does almost nothing to reduce damage. You need 12 armor to reduce the physical damage types by one point against most attack (including one-handed R1 attacks from players). A damage reduction of 20-40 points when you have 2.000 life is often what you're dealing with. Also, the higher your equipment load % is, the slower you regenerate stamina and the slower your dodge rolls will be. The latter is not so noticeable as you get the same amount of invincibility frames regardless, but the differences in stamina recovery from having 30% load to almost 70% is really big.

This is opposed to the first Dark Souls where armor makes a big difference in terms of damage taken. Take of all your armor in Undead Burg and you will take much more damage than you used to do. I don't know why From felt the need to nerf armor this way considering that detaching the equipment load stat from the stamina stat already toned down armor by itself.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You do not need a special reason to dislike something. We all work differently and like and dislike different things. For example, some people feel an adrenaline rush and/or triumph when they defeat a boss that they previously lost to ten times. Others feel almost nothing at all when this happens. Likewise, some people feel no excitement whatsoever when they invade or get invaded and no joy or really any positive feeling when they defeat another player in PvP. As a rule, you should never assume that which triggers a reward feeling to you also does so to another specific person.

• Locked thread