Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm going to potentially go against the grain and say that I really don't like Belfry Luna - for its forced PvP.

I don't do PvP. Not in any game, ever; not anymore. Not for many, many years - and even in the past, it was only with friends at LAN parties.

I've always wished for an option in the Dark Souls games to just disable invasions - and jolly co-op too if they think that's fair. That's fine by me; I don't want to do that either. I just want to be left alone, really. Since there isn't, unfortunately it means that I have to ALT-F4 out of the game if I'm invaded. I do it the instant the "invaded by" message comes up; I don't want to waste my time, or anyone else's - even if I'm tempted to think they may deserve it for choosing to invade people.

In DS1 I could just stay hollowed all the time and not worry about it too much. Not always an option, though; e.g. when doing the boss run to Ornstein and Smough yet again, in human form so I could summon Solaire to help. I remember getting repeatedly invaded by the same person there. But in DS2, where it doesn't matter if you're hollow or not, bad luck; you're going to get people trying to gank you no matter what... Well, I developed a habit of alt-tabbing out to the wiki whenever I entered a new area, to check a list of names of NPC invaders for that area. If I was invaded by someone whose name was not on that list, I would ALT-F4.

So when I came to Belfry Luna for the first time, and I was invaded by what turned out to be a real person who had chosen a character name that was suspiciously similar to one of the NPC invaders in the game...

They charged me with an incredibly massive ulta-greatsword (when I hadn't even found a normal greatsword yet by that stage), swinging it in great arcs that filled the room, seeming to hit me even when I was well out of range. It took me a moment to notice... was that lag? Then I was dead, and realised that I'd been ganked. I was pretty unhappy.

I don't like Belfry Luna. It's emblematic of one of the things I dislike the most about the Souls games.

(If you're wondering why I don't just block the DS games wholesale in my firewall or something, it's because I rely on the player messages and bloodstain phantoms to smooth the rough edges of the games' sometimes intentionally bad level design. Also I like the "don't give up, skeleton!" messages.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Luna, and actually the whole of DS2, is designed to give you a grace period if you get invaded once or twice, win or lose, so if you had tried again you'd probably have been golden.

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah you'll get 1 person summoned on you immediately, short delay on 2nd, then there's a long delay before you're eligible to be invaded again the Belfry.

It's also a completely optional area.

I appreciate that things could have been even worse here, but on the other hand there's no way for you to know any of this your first time through. Also getting involved in PvP at all is kind of a failure state for me.

Nihilarian posted:

You can burn an effigy at a bonfire to turn off multiplayer in that area for half an hour. Wouldn't help in areas where you don't start near a bonfire (like Belfry Luna :v:) but it's something.

I'd actually forgotten about that. I don't think I ever did that, anyway; I was saving effigies to restore my maximum health cap. Having "limited" invasions for 30 minutes didn't seem a good trade-off. Maybe if it was a permanent toggle?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm curious - can you elaborate on why pvp messes with your experience so much?

There are a couple of reasons and they're sort of personal, but I guess it's not that big a deal.

The first is that I suffer from social anxiety disorder. One of the things I get out of computer games is a break from all the stress - and it is a lot of stress. I'll put it this way; my hair started going grey when I was seventeen. Anyway it's probably pretty obvious why people invading your game to attack you doesn't mix well with social anxiety disorder.

The other reason is that I really don't like competitive multiplayer games. Competitive anything, really. I feel the same way about competitive sport. (It's not the physical co-ordination/exertion part; I could do it, I just always hated it. Physical activities that aren't competitive are fine.) It took a while for things to crystallise for me - like I said I used to play competitive games with my friends at LAN parties (though I was usually trying to convince them to play co-op games instead) - but eventually I realised what was bothering me all that time.

I hate the feeling of trying to beat someone - defeat them, stop them, whatever. And I hate the feeling of someone trying to do that to me. Even worse when it's a team-based thing. It feels bizarre to me to do that to people who are friends, or acquaintances, or even total strangers if it's an online game, for example. To me it's always felt like... isn't there enough conflict in the world already without artificially manufacturing more? Why can't we all just get along, etc.

I realise I'm in the minority. But as bizarre as that point of view likely sounds to... probably most people, really - to me, not feeling that way seems just as strange.

TL;DR - I'm a big ol' pacifist weenie.

• Locked thread