Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fritz posted:

Does Dave Sim's Cerebus count? (the message is "women are evil")

It wasn't until Reads that Dave Sim went completely insane (Jaka's Story is one of the best comics about a female character for example), but Cerebus is full of politics. Like High Society which is about an Conan-esque character (Cerebus) running for office in a fantasy setting and Church and State which is about....church and state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There's a pretty good critical line of argument that gets brought up from time to time about Ellis's Transmetropolitan as a direct reaction to the Tony Blair era in British politics, and about the influence of Margaret Thatcher's era on British genre fiction of the '80s and '90s. There's a ton of it in the first and third volumes of The Invisibles, for example.

I think it's safe to say that the hatred british comic artists had towards Thatcher was so strong that it could provide power for a small country:

(From Planetary which also had story where a literal spook is sent by the government to kill the Messiah).
Hellblazer had a story where demons cheers for Thatcher, V For Vendetta was written because Alan Moore was horrified about her, in Nemesis the Warlock the fascist rulers idolizes her and the list goes on and on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think Heartland is pretty decent. Its more about how absurd growing up in Ireland was and doesn't really take any sides:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Miller seems like a pretty self-aware guy. He just doesn't really care about what others think of him. But the interviews I read with him in he book about him showed he's aware of, say, how psychotic his Batman is. or that Leonidas was absolutely no hero.

Miller absolutely believes that Leonidas was a hero:
Five issues and 130 pages later, Miller has immersed himself into what may become one of his greatest works. “Looking at the project (from an artist’s per- spective),” Miller admits, “300 has a real wide-screen feel to it, because it’s a story composed across double page spreads. It’s been a real challenge for me to depict a story with such incredible scope. But as a writer, 300 has challenged me even more so, because of it’s pure, unadulterated heroism. There is nothing cynical about this story, and there’s nothing temporary about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

akulanization posted:

Man that's a nice slice of racism combined with some historical revisionism. Persia was more advanced than Greece at the time, and the "300" (not mentioned, the couple thousand hellots they brought who also died, or the Theban contingent whose home sold them out and had nowhere to retreat to) did just about gently caress and all. Sparta didn't enter the war until the Athenian led fleet won decisively at Salamis and effectively ended the Persian campaign. Whatever you think of the Persian war, the takeaway about Sparta is that they were a pile of useless nazis who hung back while others did the bleeding.

Not to mention that Persia actually backed the greek city states in the Corinthian war where Sparta tried to conquer all of ancient Greece.

• Locked thread