Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

fritz posted:

Does Dave Sim's Cerebus count? (the message is "women are evil")

I feel the need to link this interview. Though that might be the wrong phrasing.

quote:

Ever the oblique leftist. I don't "feel." If I "felt," I would never have gotten the book done. I'd be off "feeling" somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lonos Oboe posted:

Likewise with Phillip K. Dick. Knowing the guy had a obscenely hosed up upbringing, was often homeless, was mostly off his head on drugs and was married 5 times can help you from judging him on some of his points of view or opinions because you know he comes from a very unique place and his perspective is probably worth hearing even if you don't subscribe to it. I really think that is the balance.

Philip K Dick is a great example for this thread, for sure. There was a biography on him, "I Am Alive And You Are Dead", that's as fascinating as any of his stories. Knowing that he was actually bugged and harassed a lot by the FBI helps make you realize exactly what his worldview is about. Yes, he was on drugs and mentally ill, but his fear of all-encompassing authoritarianism is actually well founded. That's one of the big reasons why a lot of his work is so enduring.

To bring it back to comics, here's a comic about his religious experiences.

• Locked thread