Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

NikkolasKing posted:

I did hold off on going through with it until I said I was gonna check out The Dark Knight Returns and was told about Frank Miller's right wing politics. I also was watching a video with Linkara from AT4W where he mentioned "Holy Terror."

IMO don't do this. His analysis is jejune as hell and comes from a deeply fanboyish perspective. That might be acceptable if he was funny or charismatic instead of obnoxious as gently caress.

NikkolasKing posted:

So, yeah. What comics have very forward political messages and what are those messages?

Are you asking what comics are specifically political, as in they're basically illustrated manifestos or which ones display the writer's politics, inadvertently or not in a totally unambiguous way, perhaps even inorganically? Or both?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Both. I haven't read many comics I could describe as political, which is why I made this thread to try and learn.

Bill Willingham regularly injected his politics outright into Fables, often in a clumsy way. The most blatant example is "The Israel Analogy"

Its a spoiler if you're concerned:

Other characters like Snow White regularly talk poo poo about things like abortion, and there's even a character presented as monstrous who's basically powered by the spirits of those poor babies that never got to live. An ancient, nigh-unchanging immortal fairy tale person having a negative view of something like abortion might be a satisfactory in-universe justification if you accept those.

NikkolasKing posted:

I hear V For Vendetta is a good example of a writer being fully transparent with his politics

V for Vendetta is a good example, yes. Alan Moore is an anarchist and while V might not be one or at least not in the same fashion, he definitely uses the character to explore that philosophy. It's a case where a creator is willing to show the possible negative aspects of their own philosophy and how it might be twisted to bad ends, or at least abused in the name of the ends justifying the means.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Also speaking of Alan Moore and politics you might be interested in Brought to Light, which with Bill Sienkiewicz is a circa 1988 history of the CIA and their foreign interventions.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Hellblazer had a story where demons cheers for Thatcher

That issue has one of the most iconic panels of early Hellblazer IMO

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A lot of Spencer's actions in the 90s were in service of the broken windows policing mentality that was so popular then. I agree calling him a Nazi isn't fair or accurate, but it doesn't absolve him of his dumbassery or excuse his political stances. Also I bumped this thread because it's an interesting subject and deserves to continue.

Zachack posted:

Of the little I've read of early Hate I'm inclined to say Bagge, but again, era and I could be totally off.

Peter Bagge is a libertarian, but he's the kind that hates war and is socially permissive rather than just some dude who wants no taxes and no rules on capitalism. He had a column and a cartooning space in Reason magazine where he shat on Bush all the time, for example.

Edge & Christian posted:

Also worth noting in terms of this interaction, the Dave Sim timeline is basically this:

1977: Starts Cerebus
1979: Briefly institutionalized and first diagnosed(?) with schizophrenia, envisions Cerebus as his 300 Issue Life's Work
1985: Separates from Deni Loubert, first wife/co-publisher
1994: First (fictional in-universe) exploration of "Men are Creative Lights, Women Are Voids"
[some time in here] his [wife/girlfriend] leaves him, the book gets a lot more negative towards women/romantic love in general
2001: "Tangent", Dave Sim's big personal 'yes I believe everything I'm putting in Cerebus' essay is published

It's been rumored for aeons that Sim had an affair with Wendy Pini. Do you think there's any truth to that?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 11, 2017

• Locked thread