Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Another Warren Ellis book with pretty blatant politics is Black Summer, which is basically him admonishing people who really advocate revolution against democratic governments. It's okay.

Cla$$war is about the most obvious other example I can think of - which I haven't read because I can't find a digital copy.

NikkolasKing posted:

So a little while ago I wandered into the Libertarian thread in D&D and saw they were talking about Libertarian fiction. A lot of it was about sci-fi lit but then it moved on to comics, specifically they discussed if Batman was a Libertarian fantasy. Now, as I'm sure we're all aware, there are so many "Batmen" out there that it be pretty impossible to label him as anything. But I found the general idea interesting and I was encouraged to start this thread. I have no idea if it will go anywhere but what's the harm in trying?

I did hold off on going through with it until I said I was gonna check out The Dark Knight Returns and was told about Frank Miller's right wing politics. I also was watching a video with Linkara from AT4W where he mentioned "Holy Terror." I guess what I'm saying is I didn't want to make a thread about abstract interpretations - I didn't know if that would go anywhere or have any interest. But some comics have plain as day politics which you can further support by looking at their writer. I was hoping something more concrete like that would make this thread generate some serious replies.

So, yeah. What comics have very forward political messages and what are those messages?

Do read DKR, it's deservedly a classic, whatever the politics involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Fair observations. How violence can backfire has been on my mind lately with the mounting civil strife in the US, and I'm a right leaning liberal (in the European sense of the word - which probably puts me in the centre in American politics) who thinks institutions are important, both of which probably colour my memory of the series.

There was a study that found it tends to have perverse outcomes from surveying anti-government movements, though I haven't closely read it.

Anyway, I might have to dig up my Black Summer books.

Edit: I'd be interested on what thoughts you have on Supergods and No Hero, too; my memories of them are pretty hazy - No Hero is about heroes as status quo-enforcers ala the Avengers, Supergods is a riff on the Miracleman take on superheroes as transcendental posthumans?

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 16, 2017

• Locked thread