Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

So, yeah. What comics have very forward political messages and what are those messages?

Does Dave Sim's Cerebus count? (the message is "women are evil")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lonos Oboe posted:

To get to my point. Garth Ennis who wrote Preacher in case you never guessed is Irish and lived up North which is still British owned and suffered horrific violence for decades very much like Ennis describes. He references the troubles a lot, but in my opinion the most controversial is when Cassidy's brother kicks Michael Collins in the balls and basically denounces the leaders of the Irish revolutionaries going as far as saying they are the ones who should be shot. Now, he is kinda preempting history here as it's argued that Pearse wanted martyrs for the rising to get behind. But for Ennis to come right out and say that, especially in the early 90's when blood was still being spilled over the issue is a very controversial thing to do. Whatever about Ennis' schoolboy attitude towards most things, this was fairly strong stuff. There is an unpopular argument (which I think Ennis is getting towards) is that the rebellion should not have happened at all. Ireland was going to get home rule anyway and that could have paved the way to a peaceful split. It has caused many a heated discussion over drinks.

I think the only Ennis I've read is Hitman, which had an arc where British special forces were going after the mc and everybody in Gotham City was freaking out over how competent and dangerous they were.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

The bad webcomic thread posted Roswell Texas

Wanderer posted:

If webcomics are kosher for the discussion, there's a complete online adaptation of the libertarian novel The Probability Broach that kinda has to be seen to be believed.

Same dude! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Neil_Smith

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zoux posted:

Like I said I haven't read it, but I'd be reaaaaaal surprised if Marvel, a company that has shown a commitment to expanding minority, women and other marginalized voices in recent years, would, with zero editorial oversight, allow one of its premiere IPs to be turned into a fascist forever.

There are only a couple of "forevers" in superhero comics.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zoux posted:

No, but I don't read DC.

Me neither, but I'm like Ray Smuckles in that I pay attention (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112007)

• Locked thread