Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I feel the need to link this interview. Though that might be the wrong phrasing.
drat that sucker's like 13 years old now. Time flies. I've heard rumors he has somewhat mellowed out? Or at least regrets having put so much focus on his bitching about feminism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pierson posted:

My line for seperation of art and artist has always been "does buying this work benefit the person who made it or the people who share his ideology?" I refuse to buy anything by Orson Scott Card because I don't want any of my cash to go to that rear end in a top hat, but I'll sometimes get H.P. Lovecraft's old work because as far as I checked his estate are just regular people who had a terrible ancestor.
Lovecraft died without issue and all his work is in the public domain. The worst you'll end up doing is giving an RPG company some money. Or a guy who apparently managed to make a career out of studying H.P. Lovecraft.

Barnes and Noble had a real pretty hardcover of 'everything he wrote, pretty much' for $20. They don't do that if they had to pay anybody.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Folks there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Some portion of every dollar you spend goes to some piece of poo poo somewhere.
Nothin' gets past this guy!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Har har but fretting over whether buying a book you think you'd enjoy is going to somehow reward bad people is dumb.
I don't get how come. If I buy a new copy of Ender's Game, I know that Orson Scott Card is getting a cut. If I instead buy Terry Pratchett books, or dildos, then OSC isn't getting that money - or if he does, it's at a much greater remove and involves him purchasing shares in the dildo factory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

No I'm saying that wringing your hands over whether to buy stuff that you like because the author, or publisher, or whatever might be a "bad person" is stupid.
I bow to your superior wisdom.

There's also always the secondary market. If I buy Ender's Game at the library book sale, that money goes to them, not Card!

• Locked thread