Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I have a couple that might interest you. First one is mexican author Rius entire body of work, which is mostly educational comics about a wide variety of themes, but all showing some of his left-leaning politics. He even did entire books about Cuba, Marx and my favorite, The Trikky History of Kapitalism.

And the most notable is that he started this in the '60s in Mexico, during the worst years of our 70 year one-party rule. Some have even called his work "the alternative Secretary of Education". If you don't like politics, his works also include history, economy, philosophy, religion and drugs.

The second one is The Eternaut, one of the best sci-fi comics ever done and from Argentina. Created by artist Francisco Solano López and writer Hector Oesterheld. I alwasy found Oesterheld the most fascinating of the two, since (from Wikipedia):

quote:

Through his comics, Oesterheld criticized the numerous military dictatorships that beleaguered the country in different periods ranging from 1955 to 1983, as well as different facets of capitalism, colonialism and imperialism, choosing a subtle criticism in his early comics during the 50's and early 60's, and a stronger and direct approach in his later work, after the murder of Che Guevara in 1967, and onwards from then on: in 1968 he wrote a biographical comic of Che Guevara, which was subsequently banned by the Argentinian dictatorship ruling at the time.[1]

During the Argentina's last civil-military dictatorship, he and his daughters joined the Montoneros, a leftist (and former peronist) guerrilla group that opposed the military junta. HGO continued to publish works in clandestine form while hidden in secret locations, but he was ultimately kidnapped and disappeared. His daughters were also arrested and disappeared, as were his sons-in-law. Only HGO's wife, Elsa, escaped the family's tragic fate.

The Eternaut's story goes like this: One night, Oesterheld is visited by a strange man called Juan Salvo, who claims to be from a world where South America is suffering an extraterrestrial invasion. It all started with radioactive snowfall that killed almost everyone, since being the middle of summer there, most people had their windows open.

Juan and his friends make a special suit to allow him to go outside and gather food and weapons, find other survivors and try to contact the government. But then they presence an entire jet squadron being annihilated by a strange laser weapon, and realize they're being invaded from another world.

They and other survivors try and fight against the foreign... uh, I mean extraterretrial invaders who have superior weapons, and an army made of beings from other planets and even enslaved humans. Juan and his friends discover that even the ones who are directing the invasion in site are also slaves of more sinister and powerful beings, who don't care about the devastation and loss of lives that they provoke in a far away world.

Surely I don't have to explain who the extraterrestrials are supposed to be, right? :v:

It's one of my favorite comics ever, and I remember one of my first threads here was about it, but it's just such a large story that I couldn't do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread