Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

That issue has one of the most iconic panels of early Hellblazer IMO

Is this the same arc where one of the royals, heavily implied to be Prince Charles, is into demonic BDSM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Going back, "Who Dares Wins" seems like it's set in some kind of offshoot of the primary DCU, rather than being ostensibly in the main continuity. It's bad enough that, at this point, Tommy has killed hundreds of low-level mobsters and Z-list supervillains without Batman crawling up his nose again (although as the series points out, Hitman was running concurrently with a bunch of big Bat-stories like "No Man's Land," so Batman was busy as hell), but then four SAS guys show up and between them, wipe out an entire crime family. It's one of those stories that is actually penalized by being part of a shared universe, because by rights, the larger DCU should've been more involved than it was.

Also, Ennis was 25 when Hitman started. That blows my mind.

Don't look up when Jim Shooter started with Marvel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak made a really good post about Ditko/objectivism in the Politoons thread in D&D and I wanted to share it here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3803673&perpage=40&pagenumber=388#post472028431

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for sharing this. Very interesting.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread title was Ditko and Mr. A so I'm glad someone did an effort post about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't read the new Cap stuff but I have read a lot of bitching about the new Cap stuff and are people assuming the end game here is that Cap is a nazi forever and there isn't going to be a dramatic when he goes face turn and denounces fascism and punches the Foremost Nazi in the face?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like I said I haven't read it, but I'd be reaaaaaal surprised if Marvel, a company that has shown a commitment to expanding minority, women and other marginalized voices in recent years, would, with zero editorial oversight, allow one of its premiere IPs to be turned into a fascist forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

e: Also some people just think that it's a bad story and that Nick Spencer is not a good writer.

Oh I buy that for sure and people are welcome to like or dislke whatever but there seems to be a trend to try to make subjective opinions into objective reality by saying that something isn't bad, it's problematic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of sentiments regarding fascism, Pia Guerra, who drew Y: The Last Man, is now drawing political cartoons and she's killing it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 11, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jedi posted:

The internet is both the best and worst thing. It's this wonderful tool for communication and information but if it's taught us anything, it's that people we look up to and admire are no different than anybody else. They gently caress up just as much as we do, and it's worse because everyone is watching them.

"Never meet your heroes"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Maybe this wouldn't happen if comic book fans didn't have some weird sense of entitlement about Big Two characters and didn't feel that comic book publishers were "making GBS threads on them" for doing particular stories.

People who define themselves by the media they consume really take poo poo personally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More Pia Guerra. This couldn't be more Real Life Politics in Comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Some portion of every dollar you spend goes to some piece of poo poo somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

Nothin' gets past this guy!

Har har but fretting over whether buying a book you think you'd enjoy is going to somehow reward bad people is dumb.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 16, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

I don't get how come. If I buy a new copy of Ender's Game, I know that Orson Scott Card is getting a cut. If I instead buy Terry Pratchett books, or dildos, then OSC isn't getting that money - or if he does, it's at a much greater remove and involves him purchasing shares in the dildo factory.

Right, but OSC is never going to feel you not buying that book. If you can't get past OSC being a homophobic piece of poo poo to the point that it impacts your enjoyment of the book, by all means don't buy or read his poo poo. But your individual purchasing habits are in no way going to impact the lives of the creators, the only person you are affecting is yourself. So, self-denying in order to punish a person for having bad politics or morals isn't actually doing anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I'm saying that wringing your hands over whether to buy stuff that you like because the author, or publisher, or whatever might be a "bad person" is stupid.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 16, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe he won't, but the more people I encourage not to purchase his works, the more likely it is he will feel it. Orson Scott Card in particular is funny-rear end example to use because people refusing to purchase his products has had a negative impact on him and the work he can get.

Like what? Genuinely don't know.

Look, people can buy or not buy what they want for whatever reason they want. But if you dig into artists and other creators, you're gonna find out that a lot of them did lovely things, because almost everyone does lovely things. Do you not listen to the Beatles because Lennon was a wife beater? Do you not buy their music because Yoko Ono is getting royalties and she made Julian Lennon buy back his father's letters at auction? Is Chinatown a bad movie now? Does Superior Foes of Spiderman suck now because Spencer is writing a "problematic" book today? Can you no longer read Hyperion because Dan Simmons had a islamophobic meltdown? Can you not watch Mad Men or Handmaiden's tale because Elizabeth Moss is a Scientologist?

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 16, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You don't remember the backlash when he was going to write a Superman comic?

No, but I don't read DC.

rkajdi posted:

Boycotts are just this on a large scale though. I get that my 50 cents or whatever that goes to a shithead like OSC is not a meaningful amount of money individually. In aggregate across a larger community it is however. Your position is simple learned helplessness that I've seen all over the left. everything is poo poo and nothing can ever get better, so you might as well lean into it. Sorry, I don't buy it, and neither does reality. Making sure that known shitheads get less sales for publishers make them less valuable and limit their potential to harm later. It's the equivalent of making sure that skinheads and klansmen don't get decent jobs and lose them when they get them. You can act like it's nothing, but using money as a tool to make people comply has a fairly well documented history.

Ah sorry didn't realize I was going to be an exemplar for everything you are mad about politically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

no one is demanding self-flagellation or whatever, we're just saying we like being able to control our money a bit better.

Sure that's fine, I'm just talking about situations where you like something but worry about supporting a "bad person". My argument is, it probably doesn't matter, and staying out of it is hurting you more than the creator. If you legit can't get past poo poo, and there are for sure people who say can't enjoy Rosemary's Baby because they can't stop thinking about Polanski, I don't think those people should have to set aside those feelings or whatever and suck it up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh so it turns out, shockingly, that Cap wasn't actually a nazi after all :monocle: Who could've forseen this except anyone who knows even the barest thing about comic books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Part of the reason political discussion is impossible on the internet is that it tends to become a contest on who is the most morally righteous person in the discussion. More succinctly: performative wokeness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's not the crux of why people have been complaining about Hydra Cap, though.

Well, educate me my friend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just know how it was resolved yesterday: Turns out that whenever the magic girl that made Cap young again actually split him into two versions of himself: an electric ver one that was all his good and one that was all his bad and the bad Cap has been the one we've been seeing and the good Cap showed up at the end of Wednesday's issue. So it turns out that he's Piccolo basically.

That's all based on what I read about it yesterday on spoiler sites as opposed to reading it throughout, so if my details are off, please correct me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's hilarious. It's not your views that are performative, it's the personal attacks on the people who are trying to have a good faith discussion.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Many people have wasted their time trying to explain all of the flaws of Nick Spencer and his Secret Empire story and the general reponse back (including yours) has been almost exclusively "lol u mad he's not a nazi it's comics he'll be fine kirby did it lol u mad nazi baby lol" and this is like the fourth thread on this board alone where people are talking about it and you're the one who sort of swept in with 'you dumb fukken babies he's not a nazi lol lol :cool:" so color me shocked people aren't engaging with you with good faith and aplomb.

Well apologies for not reading those other threads I guess.

What I said was it's pretty obvious that Marvel isn't promoting fascism it's more like it's just another fake out plot and guess what: it was.

• Locked thread