Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, most mATX cases are like "standard big-OEM desktop" size. Noticeably smaller than a full tower, but not really "small form factor". It is a nice sweet spot if you're confident that you won't need all of the ATX expansion slots but you still want a relatively normal build experience, especially since mATX boards tend to be a little cheaper than full ATX boards with the same feature set and they're definitely cheaper than ITX.

You can find some SFF-ish cases out there for them though, especially if you're willing to go low profile. I use a Silverstone ML03 for my HTPC and it's great since it looks kinda like a DVR and fits easily into a TV console, but it wouldn't be ideal for a gaming build.

Even the average mid tower case feels pointlessly bloated for a purely gaming system when the NR200 exists tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Even the average mid tower case feels pointlessly bloated for a purely gaming system when the NR200 exists tbh

I built a machine for work in a NR200 (air-cooled) but having room to work on poo poo easily inside the case is nice. My use case mounts the tower under my standing desk, and I know my Meshify fits so the desire for 'smaller' is just some other part of my midlife crisis, probably. And I need room for all my sweet sweet radiators.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

Oops… 3D Cache derail! The points made all make sense to me though. I think what would drive me insane, knowing myself, is verifying games are doing the right thing on the right cores and just taking away the problem in the first place by having one CCD will win over that part of my brain.

On the 3960X, it’s annoying enough watching games or ST tasks not live up to what they should be doing… not a gaming CP, but I really shouldn’t expect BATTLETECH or Civ to be performing mostly as it did on my 2600K.

Well, uh, you've chosen two games that get basically zero benefit from all those cores. Battletech is single-thread (and janky in general). Civ 6 is basically 2 threads.

And you already should be driving yourself insane over CCDs with the threadripper. A general problem for AMD's architecture is that if a thread gets moved from a core on CCD A to one on CCD B, you have performance loss from needing to fetch cache across the IO die. This problem got mostly solved in the scheduler over the years, but I dunno if the threadrippers are still affected by it. I still see people saying they use process lasso for their threadrippers and it makes a difference.

movax posted:

My use case mounts the tower under my standing desk, and I know my Meshify fits so the desire for 'smaller' is just some other part of my midlife crisis, probably. And I need room for all my sweet sweet radiators.

Yeah if you're gonna stick with the watercooling I wouldn't downsize to mATX. The Meshify 2C you have is already pretty small for an ATX case.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Ryzen 7000 threadrippers are atrocious for gaming because they use the giant 12 channel IO die from Genoa, which when fully enabled has four NUMA domains with three memory channels and three CCDs each. The configuration used for TR however is four total CCDs and four total memory channels, one per NUMA node. So each CCD only has a single local memory channel.

One of the CCDs is the gaming targeted one and has a Fmax that is 500MHz higher than all the others, and if you turn on gaming mode in the UEFI it will disable all the other CCDs to maximise gaming performance, but you're still crippled for gaming by the awful memory topology.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I would have figured that they've had seen the error in their ways with the earlier Threadrippers and go with an UMA memory controller this time around.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I would have figured that they've had seen the error in their ways with the earlier Threadrippers and go with an UMA memory controller this time around.
They've made the whole Threadripper system more sustainable by basically making them cutdown Epycs (the TR Pros being slightly cutdown, the non-Pro TRs very cut down) so I think they're constrained by what they can achieve without needing too much custom chip design.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Threadripper non-Pro is just an afterthought they are limping along so they can technically claim they still have HEDT chips, they'll never spin up a new die for it so the best we are getting is the full size IO die cut down enough for it to not cut into their high margin lines.

You have to be in a weird spot of wanting lots of cores but not particularly caring about memory or IO to want to buy TR non-pro now, it's a platform that isn't really a good buy for any real usecases. There's a reason MSI literally didn't bother to make a TRX50 motherboard while the other big vendors only made one SKU each, it's going to sell close to zero chips and they know it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BurritoJustice posted:

You have to be in a weird spot of wanting lots of cores but not particularly caring about memory or IO to want to buy TR non-pro now, it's a platform that isn't really a good buy for any real usecases.

I actually have a use-case at work for this sort of setup right now (run many tiny web assembly functions, as parallel as we can get, over small data) but I doubt I can get GCP to deploy them for us!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Subjunctive posted:

I actually have a use-case at work for this sort of setup right now (run many tiny web assembly functions, as parallel as we can get, over small data) but I doubt I can get GCP to deploy them for us!

Isn't that usage case of "tons of cores without significant I/O or memory bandwidth" about to be completely devoured by both ARM64, whether Ampere or in-house, or E-core Intel? I haven't looked at the GCP pricing comparison, but I do feel like we're heading for a future where for those kinds of workloads it's not cost effective to run them on mainstream Intel or AMD.

I guess we'll see how Zen 5c SKUs and pricing shake out, or if the big cloud guys buy from Ampere or just roll their own ARM.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BurritoJustice posted:

If you want a 7950X3D for the use case of wanting background MT tasks while gaming, you've gotta get used to using affinity. I have genuinely no clue why AMD doesn't use affinity in the first place.

Partly because a lot of anticheat systems will not let you set affinity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't that usage case of "tons of cores without significant I/O or memory bandwidth" about to be completely devoured by both ARM64, whether Ampere or in-house, or E-core Intel? I haven't looked at the GCP pricing comparison, but I do feel like we're heading for a future where for those kinds of workloads it's not cost effective to run them on mainstream Intel or AMD.

Yeah, we’ll probably move that service to ARM, realistically.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't that usage case of "tons of cores without significant I/O or memory bandwidth"

The memory bandwidth is fine, it's latency that gets killed by having to hop across the IO die to a different controller. That's real bad for games, but plenty of Real Work type things are much less bothered.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

beware of a lot of the cheap new B650 AM5 boards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naX-DnKekCM

Best cheap board is probably the Asrock B650M-HDV/M.2 at $119 or the Asrock B650M Pro RS at $134.

e: 5 of the boards can't even run a single cold pass of Cinebench without throttling jesus christ

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So, I have an "ASUS B650-A GAMING WIFI" motherboard because apparently allcaps makes it better? Anyway, I'm running a slightly older BIOS on it (v1811) and I see they are up to 2413, a couple "enhance system stability", a couple AGESA versions, and the logofail fix. My 7800X3D system is running well, stable, stock clocks/voltage, memory is running at 6000/CL30 off its EXPO profile just fine, is there any reason I should update to the newer BIOS? Or if it isn't broke, don't fix it?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

The memory bandwidth is fine, it's latency that gets killed by having to hop across the IO die to a different controller. That's real bad for games, but plenty of Real Work type things are much less bothered.

Bandwidth is also not incredible, you've got four times the cores of a 7950X and only twice the memory bandwidth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Bandwidth is also not incredible, you've got four times the cores of a 7950X and only twice the memory bandwidth.

88 PCIE lanes is the real reason to ever look at it

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Somebody hacked P2P communication between RTX 4090s for deep learning, time to load up all the x16 slots for a "cheap" AI machine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

no idea where else to put this, but the e2-6110 in this QC6000M is a world of pain all in itself. only 27% less clocks than my old athlon 5350s (that are ostensibly a generation older than this) but still manages to be more than 27% slower. I don't even remember the athlon 5350 choking this hard on doing ANYTHING on windows 10. it runs nuclear throne at a brisk 15fps, just over half of the framerate it gets on the athlon 5350. no benchmark will run. this is prime

i'm floating installing a stripped down windows 7 to give it a modicum of a fighting chance, but i'm enjoying the experience enough as-is. :unsmigghh:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arzachel posted:

i tried and later gave up on "large enough to fit a full size GPU" ITX long ago

they dont really save much space, and that's still pointless at the end of the day when they still need masses of cables plugged from a fixed position anyway

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 14, 2024

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

Well, uh, you've chosen two games that get basically zero benefit from all those cores. Battletech is single-thread (and janky in general). Civ 6 is basically 2 threads.

And you already should be driving yourself insane over CCDs with the threadripper. A general problem for AMD's architecture is that if a thread gets moved from a core on CCD A to one on CCD B, you have performance loss from needing to fetch cache across the IO die. This problem got mostly solved in the scheduler over the years, but I dunno if the threadrippers are still affected by it. I still see people saying they use process lasso for their threadrippers and it makes a difference.

Yeah if you're gonna stick with the watercooling I wouldn't downsize to mATX. The Meshify 2C you have is already pretty small for an ATX case.

I am bad at computer now, clearly... :shobon: My reasoning at the time was "I don't play the latest AAA games / am usually 3-4 years behind, so picking a CPU that at least is parity with the most recent console generation will let me repeat my 2600K experience" ... and I didn't deep-dive enough to pick up the following:

BurritoJustice posted:

The Ryzen 7000 threadrippers are atrocious for gaming because they use the giant 12 channel IO die from Genoa, which when fully enabled has four NUMA domains with three memory channels and three CCDs each. The configuration used for TR however is four total CCDs and four total memory channels, one per NUMA node. So each CCD only has a single local memory channel.

One of the CCDs is the gaming targeted one and has a Fmax that is 500MHz higher than all the others, and if you turn on gaming mode in the UEFI it will disable all the other CCDs to maximise gaming performance, but you're still crippled for gaming by the awful memory topology.

I guess it's a sign of getting older / maturity to actually pick based on some requirements vs. 'haha biggest number' but now I'll just plan for a nice Q4 build on Zen 5... hopefully X3D parts don't arrive in Q1 2025 like this past cycle.

hobbesmaster posted:

88 PCIE lanes is the real reason to ever look at it

I used the PCIe lanes as an excuse to shove in as much used NVMe as I could. AFAIK though there is not a 65 W TDP part in any EPYC line up with the big-rear end I/O die for maximum lanes -- I want to do an all-flash / NVMe build at some point and have some EPYC parts on the shelf, but changed my mind on running a high-TDP part. Beginning to think a PCIe switch is the solution and just use an under-volted Ryzen 5 or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I want an 9950X3D with V-Cache on both dies.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

:same:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes, the ERA brick meme but with fat SRAM stacks on everything.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

I'll just plan for a nice Q4 build on Zen 5... hopefully X3D parts don't arrive in Q1 2025 like this past cycle.
The rumour mill says exactly that, X3D to be announced at CES for a Q1 release.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
amd revealed some info on their 8000 prosumer line and their inclusion of npu's

quote:

AMD announced its Ryzen Pro portfolio today as it extended the 'Hawk Point' 8040-series to commercial laptop and workstation users while simultaneously offering its Ryzen 8000 'Phoenix' APU models for commercial desktop PCs. As we've seen in the past, the Pro series is based on AMD's existing consumer-oriented processor models but comes with additional features that tailor them for the commercial market. With the consumer versions of these processors, AMD was the first x86 company to bring its AI-processing neural processing unit (NPU) to the mobile and desktop PC market. Those same AI acceleration features are now headed to commercial users, allowing AMD to lay claim to being the first with professional CPUs armed with NPUs for laptops and workstations.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...mmercial-market

... they still don't meet microsoft's tops requirement, though:

quote:

AMD's in-built XNDA engine powers the NPU, and the company touts that its mobile processors have an advantage over Intel's competing Core Ultra processors with 16 TOPS of NPU performance, outperforming the Meteor Lake NPU's 11 TOPS. AMD also maintains a slimmer lead in overall system TOPS, which includes both the CPU and GPU AI processing power, taking the lead with 39 TOPS over Intel's 34 TOPS. AMD's desktop Ryzen 8000 APUs also have an in-built NPU engine that delivers 16 TOPS, whereas Intel has yet to release a processor for desktop PCs with an integrated AI engine.

Notably, neither AMD nor Intel's chips meet Microsoft's next-gen AI PC requirement for 45 TOPS of performance from the NPU, though both companies say their next-gen chips, Strix Point and Lunar Lake, respectively, will meet that bar. The 45 TOPS requirement is meant to enable Microsoft to run AI elements of Copilot locally, and it isn't clear how a future Windows update to enable that functionality will pan out with the current generations of AMD and Intel processors. Qualcomm's Snapdragon X Elite Arm chips will debut with 45 TOPS of performance from its NPU in the middle of the year. Apple's M3 processors provide 18 TOPS of NPU performance but obviously aren't impacted by Microsoft's requirements.

no idea how microsoft arrived at 45 tops as the sweet spot, maybe someone has some qualified guesses

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

quote:

AMD's NPU 16 TOPS
Intel NPU 11 TOPS

AMD overall system 39 TOPS
Intel's 34 TOPS

Qualcomm's Snapdragon X Elite 45 TOPS
Apple's M3 NPU 18 TOPS

I just wanted to edit that quote down to parse the performance numbers a little easier.

I don't know if all this NPU stuff if going to matter, but at least back when the iphone XS came out, it's bump in NPU (to 5 TOPS) was really quite nice because it cut down on the latency for face id unlock.

We'll see if literally anything as useful as face id comes of any of this, I guess. So far looking grim.

Also interesting to see Qualcomm promising so much more than everyone else. Wonder if it's BS somehow.

kliras posted:

no idea how microsoft arrived at 45 tops as the sweet spot, maybe someone has some qualified guesses

I think performance estimation is actually pretty easy with these things, so they probably just had a particular model in mind and a latency target.

e: and it looks like Apple's A17 Pro is 35 TOPS, and A18 will probably come out at the same time, so maybe qualcomm isn't that far ahead of everyone here

crazypenguin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Looking forward to having to paying more for the UNPU cpus that don't waste silicon on stuff I'm not interested in yet.

"Overclocking? Funny you ask, we sell these ~*unlocked*~ cpus just for ~*enthusiasts*~ like you!"

please imagine a choir of angels wherever you see ~* *~