Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also remember nForce? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

orcane posted:

It was pretty good until nvidia abandoned it mid product cycle.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Welp. With the AGESA bios update I can no longer run my RAM at 2666 and had to bump it down to 2400. :confuoot:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 16, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Let's christen the new thread's first page with some ultimately pointless news:

Remember Der8auer? The German delid guy? He did a 1600X to 5.9 GHz on LN2, DDR4-3000 CL12. All cores enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0SxpGzbw0

All hexacore Intel records beaten: https://ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16401

Are Zen chips soldered?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Are Zen chips soldered?

They are.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, at least they're doing that properly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

orcane posted:

I have an nForce 4 SLI based PC with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ that had dual Geforce 6800GS GPUs that still runs fine as a beater PC in my guest room. I replaced the 6800GS cards with a 9800GT I think? Or a 9600. I forget. The Antec NeoHE 430W PSU that came with the case (Antec P150) still worked just fine up until I replaced it a couple years ago too. I have had amazing luck with PC hardware. *knocks on wood*

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nForce were finicky as hell, but also fast as hell. A few 790i based boards I worked with were all fast as hell and could trade blows if not beat some of the Intel X38/X48 systems I had running at the time.

However they also ran hot as hell and trying to get everything to play nice with full SLI + All Ram slots full + OC was a much harder thing to do on them than it was on an X48 (Just aim an Antec Spotcool at the X48 NB and you were golden).

Up until that hack came out that spoofed your Intel based system as an 680i based board, the only official name in town for SLI back then was nForce.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not forget how amazing SoundStorm was :slick:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you didn't have a dolby digital speaker system in your bedroom/dungeon and an nforce 2 amd setup then you might as well just quit computers

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

If you didn't have a dolby digital speaker system in your bedroom/dungeon and an nforce 2 amd setup then you might as well just quit computers

:slick::lsd::slick:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's from 2000 still. THX > Dolby anyway (back then at least).

Though I had P3 not AMD at the time right before the Athlon came out so eh, missed that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

I had a 5.1 setup and an Audigy 2 on my Socket 939 system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's from 2000 still. THX > Dolby anyway (back then at least).

Though I had P3 not AMD at the time right before the Athlon came out so eh, missed that.

The big deal with nforce2 audio is it did real time dd5.1 ENCODING

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ooo didn't know that.

I was all bought into the Creative EAX crap back when the X-Gamer 5.1 was the thing. Playing Thief and MDK2 with EAX was pretty fun back in the day.

Still love my Klipsch's though. Replaced the woofer and a few resisters over the years, but they still sound bad rear end. Though I am getting ready to drop my X-Fi Creative stuff for Onboard soon. Freaking drivers continue to get worse and the Creator Update sort of broke them, again. (Static all over the place unless you use the Support Pack 3.5)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ooo didn't know that.

I was all bought into the Creative EAX crap back when the X-Gamer 5.1 was the thing. Playing Thief and MDK2 with EAX was pretty fun back in the day.

Still love my Klipsch's though. Replaced the woofer and a few resisters over the years, but they still sound bad rear end. Though I am getting ready to drop my X-Fi Creative stuff for Onboard soon. Freaking drivers continue to get worse and the Creator Update sort of broke them, again. (Static all over the place unless you use the Support Pack 3.5)

I've had one of the Asus xonar cards for years now and been very happy with it. Though if you don't use headphones the mobo audio is probably indistinguishable. (Or maybe if you use mic in for voip or game chat or whatever. I had to pay attention to hear anything bad with my mobo audio out, but the mic in was obvious and terrible.)

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Those of you that bought ryzen, how long did it take you guys to get your AM4 upgrade bracket? I'll finally be getting the last of my components today, but thermaltake is giving me the run around. I'm impatient damnit. :argh:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Don Lapre posted:

Barton core represent

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Those of you that bought ryzen, how long did it take you guys to get your AM4 upgrade bracket? I'll finally be getting the last of my components today, but thermaltake is giving me the run around. I'm impatient damnit. :argh:

I just got my EKWB adapter from Amazon instead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

A month for the corsair bracket, but they should have stock now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

orcane posted:

Yeah, it was great and I think I even have the old machine in storage. Got an Alpha PAL(sp?) to keep the stupid proc stable under whatever strain I was causing it back in ~2005? I think that was before AMD bought ATI, though, and I haven't bothered with overclocking since except for RAM, but only a little bit.

Wonder how much I'd have to spend on DDR2(?) to get it to run Windows 7 without being annoyingly slow nowdays.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Alpha pal was the bomb. It was the reverse of bling in a very blingy time, which was another plus.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I've still got my alfa pal 8045, beast of a heatsink. Iirc it was a solid copper base with hex shaped pins what rose out of it in an 80mm x 80mm cube.

Slapped an 80mm > 120mm fan adaptor on it with a 120mm 200cfm delta fan on it. Overclocked something like a 1.5/1.6ghz thunderbird to 3.2ghz waaaay back in the day. 100% overclock, those were the days. Nf7-s motherboard. Revision 1.0 till it caught on fire (!) Then a rev 1.2 board.

Was beating guys who were on water, but drat was it loud. Edit: was also in a case built from knex, because I was a poor and the with adaptor didn't fit in any standard sized case.

Also I can't say for windows 7, but windows 10 runs comfortably on 8gb ddr2, ran a bit janky on 4gb. I think windows 7 supports 8gb and given how windows loves ram that's what I'd go for.

Cost me recently £10 per 4gb for 800mhz ddr2. However if you're after the fast 1066mhz stuff... well I recently sold an 8gb 1066mhz ddr2 kit for £95. So yeah, it can be pricey.

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

A month for the corsair bracket, but they should have stock now.

Yipes, that's quite a while. The problem for me is that I have no idea whether thermaltake has shipped the bracket or even if it's in stock or what. I can't log into their website, even though I'm using the username they gave me. Customer service is as clueless as I am, they say their servers have been down, but that was 3 days ago. Now they don't even answer the phone.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Yipes, that's quite a while. The problem for me is that I have no idea whether thermaltake has shipped the bracket or even if it's in stock or what. I can't log into their website, even though I'm using the username they gave me. Customer service is as clueless as I am, they say their servers have been down, but that was 3 days ago. Now they don't even answer the phone.

If the thermaltake AIO is made by asetek, the corsair or nzxt adaptors may fit. Corsair will ship the bracket free without proof of purchase, NZXT requires proof of purchase. I got the bracket before the AIO, just waiting on a sale now :shobon:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Someone on the AMD subreddit is reporting ASRock customer servcies saying they will have an ITX board out in June. The same person is reporting Gigabyte say they will have an ITX board released 1st week of July, but "mainly at Fry's electronics". I'm in the UK so that means nothing to me.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

If the thermaltake AIO is made by asetek, the corsair or nzxt adaptors may fit. Corsair will ship the bracket free without proof of purchase, NZXT requires proof of purchase. I got the bracket before the AIO, just waiting on a sale now :shobon:

It's the Nic C5 air cooler. I got it because it looked like the only one that had the bracket in stock. Oh well, I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

e: I probably should have gone with the 1600 that comes with the stock cooler, but I don't have a lot of overclocking experience so I thought the 1600x would be a better choice.

e2: Just checked the website this morning and now it says the item is out of stock. Poop.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 19, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I forgot what heatsink it was but I had the genius idea of replacing the stock fan with the Vantec Tornado, holy poo poo what a terrible idea. I don't even know if it gave me more overclocking headroom I was just a dumb 15 year old who liked the idea of a really powerful fan.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MaxxBot posted:

I forgot what heatsink it was but I had the genius idea of replacing the stock fan with the Vantec Tornado, holy poo poo what a terrible idea. I don't even know if it gave me more overclocking headroom I was just a dumb 15 year old who liked the idea of a really powerful fan.

Is that better or worse than using a delta fan?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

kirtar posted:

According to google possibly even worse, like I said it was a bad idea. I'm glad that fans have improved a lot from those days.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My friend had a 230V 12cm Delta (or maybe papst?), made of metal. The cooling performance was solid, but you had to use hearing protection, also you couldn't stop the fan with your fingers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder what happened to Papst, they were great quiet fans at one point. I remember seeing the fan blades with tiny weights on, to balance them.

Looks like they only still do industrial and 120mm fans now?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

kirtar posted:

A friend of mine in high school had a tornado, and I think it still rivals GE jet turbines for noise levels.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I'm still using a delta fan for servers on my CPU because I'm too lazy to pull it, clean it and put on a replacement. Fuckin banshee when I'm rendering in Blender.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Old housemate of mine used to complain the neighbours hoovered at night.
It was my Delta fan at >2000RPM. I just got a massive pang of nostalgia for that XP-M.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wonder what happened to Papst, they were great quiet fans at one point. I remember seeing the fan blades with tiny weights on, to balance them.

Looks like they only still do industrial and 120mm fans now?

They still make a lot of stuff, but from what I read their 'silent' sleeve-bearing stuff was matched/eclipsed years ago by the likes of Noctua or Scythes for half the price.
Still make killer ball bearing stuff that will run not-so-silent 24/7 until forever, if you don't mind 40$ for a 120mm casefan that comes with 4" of cable in a shabby brown box.
It's for German super grognards only now :)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 19, 2017

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Oh man the Pencil trick. Those were the days. I miss my XP 1700.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sauer kraut posted:

They still make a lot of stuff, but from what I read their 'silent' sleeve-bearing stuff was matched/eclipsed years ago by the likes of Noctua or Scythes for half the price.
Still make killer ball bearing stuff that will run not-so-silent 24/7 until forever, if you don't mind 40$ for a 120mm casefan that comes with 4" of cable in a shabby brown box.
It's for German super grognards only now :)

I remember having all Papst fans, and still hearing bearing "tick"

And buying a cheap Orange Zalman fan and being absolutely "WTF" as it was quieter. They are / were killer well built though (Papst).

I think the horror of running Delta fans made me go in the opposite way totally and wanting silence. But I weirdly miss that noisy XP-M with a Delta on it.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Barton nostalgia ftw. I had an Nforce 2 board with a barton 2500+ OC'd effortlessly to a 3200+, a gig of DDR 800mhz ram (I think?), cooled by a 100% copper Thermalright heatsink. I can't remember the fan I had on it, but it was 92mm. 500 watt Sparkle PSU (ridiculous overkill), and a 10,000 WD Raptor HDD for the main OS drive. It was still rocking a Radeon 8500, though. That was going to be the next upgrade. The case was an Antec SOHO server case (the one with the door on the front) with 4 80mm panaflo fans. It had a 48x DVD-ROM and a 16x DVD writer, and possibly even a zip disc drive lol. I think this was 2003? But I ended up selling the rig and getting a laptop. It was still a desktop replacement laptop, though. Athlon 64 and a Geforce 4 MX. Those were the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.