Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apple fought tooth and nail against the EU regulating standardized chargers for devices in order to protect their proprietary bullshit.
Yeah, those bastards and their proprietary USB PD and QI charging.

I have 3200G on my new build, is there anything special I need to install to ensure best performance other than what Windows 10 installs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

HalloKitty posted:

I'll only buy wired ones that have a detachable cable. Problem solved. I have Sony mdr-1r. Bit old now, and I've replaced the cable and earpads, but that's nothing compared to buying a new pair
Best part is that you can just get short cord and something like Fiio µBTR and convert them into wireless! I've done this to my AKG K273s and K702s.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Storm One posted:

Crossposting from the PC building thread

Anyone have any recs or horror stories about ECC support in B550 mobos?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=198497&curpostid=198715

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Paul MaudDib posted:

i've been looking at the Asrock Rack X470D4U, it was on sale on Amazon for $220 a couple days ago, but they still haven't updated it for 5000 series CPUs yet...
There's beta BIOS. My friend just picked up that board and claimed that it works with 5000 series.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I'm considering ASRock ROMED8-2T for my next virtual machine host / NAS / whatever hobby box and I'm stumped on what cooler to get. That board has the socket in different orientation than "mainstream" boards (TR, TRX etc) so most coolers (Noctua, Coolermaster) would be pointing upwards which is something I don't want. What are my options re: coolers?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone run into issues updating the BIOS on their AM5 mobo? I have an Asus B650E-F and I can't get it to update. I've tried using USB flashback as well as the in-BIOS updater. Some people report an issue using USB 3.0 flash drives but I've been using an old 32GB USB 2.0. I even tried making a 1GB partition so that I could format it with 4KB sectors and that didn't work.

I know that in general, it's advised to not update the BIOS unless you have a problem, but as this is a new platform, I expect I'll be updating the BIOS for a year or so. I thought I might have a BIOS-related problems (analog speakers making a small pop sound when my computer wakes from sleep), but a reformat and NOT installing the audio drivers from Asus seems to have fixed that.
Seems like a common enough issue, https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/trying-every-combination-flash-my-asus-motherboards-bios

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
That's pretty board and I'd get that just to have black PCB.

quote:

in the server market, these are $931 on provantage right now (the predecessor on SP3, ROMED8-2T, was $600). AMD wants you to pay $1500 for the threadrippper-lite or $2-3k for the full threadripper equivalent. it's just pretty much a non-starter if you care about value
Speaking of which, you can get the silly SP3 mITX board for cheap now on Provantage: https://www.provantage.com/asrock-romed4id-2t~7ASRI0H2.htm

In theory that board will fit NR200p :getin:

Now if any of you US goons were willing to do a customs fraud and buy and send me a https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-romed8-2t/p/N82E16813140044 as that's also the lowest that board has been.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
You'd also need to consider the power delivery as wider slots have more power to them, you'd need to make sure that these cute small open ended slots can handle up to 75 watts cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Tuna-Fish posted:

True.

Not true. By spec, a x16 slot must be able to provide 75W, while a x1 or x4 must be able to provide at least 25W. A small slot may optionally provide up to 75W, but is not required to be able to by the spec. (There is a protocol for configuring a card for high power that allows for the host to communicate to the cards how much power they may draw.)
Also the power needs to come from somewhere, if you populate every slot (6 or 7) with 75 watt card you end up with almost 500 watts through the main ATX connector. There's reason why higher end boards have extra PCIe or EPS power connectors near the slots if they're kitted out with enough full length slots.