Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
AMD's research arm is hard at work at making it 1999 again through magic or science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

redeyes posted:

Are you slightly crazy? Any of these high end chips are great for gaming. Just because you get 3 or 3.5Ghz per core does not mean games are going to suddenly suck.

I think he means from a value prop. If your primary use is gaming (non streaming) then you will likely get a lot more value for your money elsewhere, right now the vast majority of games do not use 4 cores (and even the ones that do are usually still single-core dominant). That will eventually change, though dunno if that is 2-4 years from now or 5-8.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

On a fresh boot, it's usually 5-10%

That is ridiculously high for no applications running, you might be a botnet. Right now with a 2500k running Chrome, a Webex meeting I am not paying attention to, Skype, and Outlook I am at 6%. Most of that is Webex.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

At what point do we as outsiders say "Intel can't" instead of "Intel won't"? And does it make much of a difference either way if the end result is high prices on a platform that doesn't make sense?

Intel's goal is to make profit, not win a release cycle. They are pricing at where they think that will happen. There are likely a lot of customers who would rather pay a higher price for CPUs (which probably make up a small % of their cost) than have to switch supplier contracts and build new relationships.

The fact that Intel is putting up pretty good profits means they are likely not skirting right on the edge of profitability per chip. That's not to say they may not drop prices 12,18 or 24 months from now, but I am guessing they are still pricing their premium offerings at a premium price for a reason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't RAID 1 your RAM.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You guys can squirt your paste without a condom all you want but it seems like a gamble to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

As an 8700k user the purgatory sphere is a good fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The optimist in me is hoping this means a 7800X3D is being targetted for Q1

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Reducing waste is a good thing (better than recycling) but at one point the K CPU's were like $10 cheaper, which wasn't much but I appreciated the token.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Were there some pricing rumors out there for the 7xxxx3d parts?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you have anything that would benefit from 48GB of RAM instead of 32GB?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Frame times take a nosedive whenever the scheduler decides to kick the game over to the other CCD but how big of a deal those numbers actually are is difficult to quantify. 0.1% of all frames isn't much and there's a fair chance people won't notice anything especially since the 1% lows are decent enough. On the other hand, who cares how high your fps is looking at a wall when the scenes that require the most precise input also tend to have the worst performance. Basically, don't get a 2 CCD CPU strictly for gaming and maybe play around with disabling one CCD if you're playing twitchy games on your production machine and you're noticing stutters.

Taking off from the GPU thread, but VR is a use case where FPS dips make a big impact even if they are brief.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think it's just a really stupid way to say "If 64GB is not enough and 128GB is too much, you can save some money with 96GB."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The first one, which I can't read any other way than holding onto inventory to keep the price inflated.

There's also this:

You don't buy shipped from AMD, you buy from a retailer. If the retailor is overstocked, you ship under demand to reduce the stock. The fact that as far as I can tell AMD CPUs aren't like hard to find or anything indicates that this is just keeping stock at a healthy level, not some artificial scarcity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I was tempted by the new X3D parts but then I thought about it and welp, I don't need to upgrade yet. The 8700K is still doing a perfectly good job and holy gently caress it's already been five years since I got it :shepface:

Same boat as you buddy. I was probably waiting until some good microcenter deals cropped up anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would actually guess installing the new GPU you may have accidentally bumped the CPU fan and it needs to be repasted and reseated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can't they just pick some obnoxiously complicated savegame file from somewhere and load it to measure the framerate (or whatever is relevant) going from thereon out?

Sure, but Intel can do that too and come up with very different outcomes. Would you trust AMD/Intel to invent their own test?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What does Simulated mean?

Truga posted:

like i posted half a page ago, the "fix" is very simple but there's no way microsoft is going to maintain a list of apps that work well on certain kinds of cores, so unless you want to janitor that poo poo just get a 7800x3d

best case scenario is probably some script or app on github that does it for you

e: that factorio graph is insane tho lmfao

I've heard there are going to be MB apps to do this, I'd assume they'd just key off the same dbs used by tons of apps for gaming mode.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna wait for the 7800X3D instead. That sounds bodge-hacky as gently caress.

I think waiting both for the 7800x3d to release AND waiting to see how the workload management shakes out are both good ideas.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What workload management? There's no NUCA environment to try and wrangle.

I mean, waiting until April and being able to compare the 7800x3D with the 79x0x3D(with affinity management) to be able to see what everything looks like.

Seems like a 7800x3d is the gaming sweet spot for sure though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CC company being like "The 7800x3D is out in like 5 weeks, it's weird you'd buy this now".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My assumption is its a high revenue but lower margin than anything else. It's a guaranteed market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I can't imagine the 7800x3d is going to be that bad, is it? I'd imagine if you hit up Newegg you could probably snag one.

In store stock is always a gamble.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PC is really easy to get on TV, but an Xbox with gamepass is such a low bar to play a game for 10-20 minutes while you wait for your next "Kids need to be taxi'd somewhere" event. I still do both but a console still has a well worn place in the living room.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just got my 7800x3d build up and running.

Hardest part was cleaning all the drat dust out of the case. That and getting the video card seated. They've got so many heatsinks and poo poo on some of these mobos now that getting a big 3 slot card in can be difficult. Had to remove one of the m.2 heatsinks to do it.

Everything has a silky smooth feel to it. Even things like the web browser (firefox and edge) and running office are noticeably faster. Booting is a bit slower though. Must be from the DDR5. Didn't change my SSD (Samsung 970 Pro).

You do the BIOS update? I thought there were rolling out updates to speed up boot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you have multiple monitors try with just 1. I wouldn't expect this kind of problem, but Windows sometimes flips out about monitors.

If that doesn't work I'd try a GPU DDU and get clean drivers.

Do other benchmarks look fine?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I was wondering how AMD was going to make sure the 7800x3d didn't just ruin the entire AMD CPU stack for consumers and I guess I didn't realize AMD had quite the trick up their sleeve.

Do any of the MBs work reliably yet?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Code? Running on my PC???

heh. I don't think so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hearts of Iron is basically a lab built game to show off large cache, it's definitely faster.

I believe BG3 is almost certainly GPU limited though, given how many options you have.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I cannot imagine you'll have any trouble RMA'ing a 2 month old 7800x3d

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seems like Zen 5 Bios's are rolling out, which implies a somewhat imminent release, Computex seems like a good bet.
https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/pr...next-gen-chips/

Earlier leaks suggested later half of the year but if they announce in Computex I would think they'd be looking at releasing.....something soon, though it depends on what the rollout actually looks like.

I'd agree, X3D is probably 6ish months later, if they do release Zen 5 in June then I'd guess x3D would come out with the next Intel launch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

AMD has not yet announced when they are going to announce the new products, but they are doing the opening keynote at Computex and given the bios leaks everyone just assumes that that's when they do the announcement. For the past few generations, AMD announcement has predated the actual availability of chips by about 1-2 months, so June 4th announcement means chips probably on shelves in July.

If that's the case I'd guess X3D chips by November/December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The subset of games that run without crossover isn't large (but probably bigger than people realize), but the stuff that does run, runs REALLY well. BG3 ran incredible on my M1 MBP.