Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I think there's a little confusion here because of the 5600X3D. Those were chips that were explicitly manufactured as 5800X3Ds, but not all their cores met specification while their L3 cache did. It was therefore not too difficult to disable those cores and add software support to read those chips as "5600X3Ds" and have them operate as hexa-core CPUs.

The 96MB cache is integrated to the die and isn't something that can be added post-manufacturing.

Assuming the rumor is valid, I think what's going on is:
- They've noticed by now that the 7800X3D has been the absolute top seller across multiple retailers for months, badly crushing out even their own SKUs
- They noticed the 5600X3D, despite being exclusive to an American store, is also selling like crazy
- They, for whatever reason, don't want to do a 7600X3D similarly to the 5600
- The old, proven Zen3 designs are a bit easier to re-engineer for v-cache
- Despite sales, they've heard some complaints about the price of the 7800X3D, and have noticed how the 5600X and 5800X are generally best-sellers #2 and 3 and they want to put out X3D parts that run a little further up and down the price scale (like, $125-150 for the 5500X3D and $200-250 for the 5700X3D)
- Hey presto, we can get some fab time
- Hey hey hey, suddenly we have enough units to test the waters with a budget and midline X3D release, to see how it goes and if we should give this a go in the Ryzen Zen4+ series

I think it's a little silly to not have them out before the Christmas season, but. We'll have to see if it happens and if it does, how widely available the chips are.

If they perform like other X3Ds, I have no doubt they'd sell. From all indications, the 5600X and 5800X are still wildly popular despite being on the "dead" AM4 platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As an aside question: the whole thing with 7800X3Ds cooking themselves was largely sorted out over the spring and early summer, right? Modern motherboards should ship with BIOS that will ensure the processors don't cook themselves, even when using EXPO? And the main casualty is Asus's reputation?

(Also, I appreciate the lengths GN went to investigate that issue, but lol those videos are an absolute mess organizationally.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kibner posted:

Yes, new agesa updates have come out that have fixed the issue. They come as part of bios updates. Some mobos that have sat on shelves might not have it, but the issue isn’t instantly destructive so you have more than enough time to update the bios. If you are paranoid, turn off all memory overclocking and you’ll be fine.

That's about what I figured. If I do ultimately go for a 7800, I'll be updating the BIOS first thing just to be sure. Thank you!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

KillerKatten posted:

I'm thinking about splurging some on a cpu upgrade and been looking at the x3d whatever series. Money isn't really an issue so normally I'd just go for bigger number = better and get the 7950. But I've read/heard/seen something something about the lower tier version being better somehow in games like factorio. Last time I played my megabase grinded to a halt so this is important. I only half remember it and finding updated info sucks with Google beeing so poo poo these days. Anyone know if this is/was true and if its still the case or has it been fixed with a driver update or something?

What specifically happens is that the extra cache only reads into half the cores on the 7950X3D, largely for heat purposes. To prevent the overall CPU from overheating, the software will disable one of the Core Complex Dies™, leaving you with only six active cores (as I understand it).

The 7800X3D runs an eight-core configuration, but it only uses one CCD (whereas the really big Ryzens in the 3000, 5000 and 7000 range have been using two CCDs, and the whole concept behind the Threadrippers is having four or more), so the whole thing can run as a cohesive whole and more effectively overall in games (while the 7950X3D can outperform in other tasks, but you also just have the 7950X for that). For games that can make use of that absolutely monstrous server-grade L3 cache (which, really, ends up being most games), the performance uplift is comedic. It really is The Best Gaming CPU Money Can Buy, even scaling into the new 7000 series Threadrippers. If you consider anything "lesser", you're talking about a more budget Ryzen 7000 part (there's amazing deals on the Ryzen 7600X right now) or maybe a tremendously discounted Intel 12000 part.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

I actually know what the hell I'm talking about!

Well! I'm glad, unironically, that someone could actually set the record straight. :v: I did know it was technically a voltage limitation rather than strictly thermal, but with "it'll burn the pipes/vias" it seemed like a thermal limit in practice, and I've heard it referred to that way before (outside the forums, which should've been a hint).

That was otherwise a really neat post about how VCache works! Sadly, AMD's VCache driver being "the dumbest pile of poo poo you've ever used" sort of helps explain why all the Zen3 designs, either extant or rumored, that use X3D VCache are going to be on a single CCD. It also doesn't surprise me that Bethesda found a way to break the thing. :v:

I'm actually left wondering if AMD will even bother with X3D models for dual-CCD parts in whatever series ends up succeeding the 7000s. It sounds like the software problems can be fixed, but they may also want to take the lazy route and keep it as simple as possible...

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

We do, in fact, love to see it. :holy:

Looking forward to doing a drop-in upgrade to a 9800X3D in six or so years when those get nice and cheap.

And in other news:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1737867125673349575

I'll admit I'm an ignorant boob on AMD's future plans, but some of this surprises me. The AM4-based 5700 NoLetter lauched today, and... I'm a little unsure what the point of it is? It's apparently similar in every regard to the 5700X, including full overclock support, and it clocks slightly higher than the X, and is priced about the same... so what is this, exactly? Who is this meant to serve? :confused:

I can fully understand who the 5700X3D (and reported 5500X3D) is meant to serve: AM4 platform-havers for whom the 5800X3D is just this side of too rich for their blood. But I'm not quite sure who a bunch of AM4 side-grade components are meant to serve.

Also, Hawk Point seems to have initial pricing. The 8700G is going to be a bit steep for what you get, but the 8600 & 8500G look pretty nice for what they are. Those should make for nice hearts for fun miniPCs. I'll be curious to see what folks like Beelink do with them, and how well they can actually game.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 21, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

Note that 9800X3D will be Zen5, the next desktop CPU line expected to be released next year, and it's currently expected that Zen6 will still support AM5 a year later. The only chips that will be labeled as the 8000-series are APUs, like the 4000 and 6000-series.

Oh, sure, I was mostly spitballing a number. It'll still be nice to have an 11800X3D, or whatever they end up terming it, at a steep discount in five or six years as a further upgrade path. (Dare I hope that the XX800 series goes up to 10 cores by then? :sun:)

quote:

They are selling off stock of CPUs that can't validate as something better, in this case likely because there are too many faults in the cache for the built-in redundancy.

I mean, sure, but outside of uninformed rubes (who aren't as common in the DIY space) who in the world is going to buy 5700Xes, on a dead platform, with less cache, for the same retail price? Or even buy them when a cheaper hexa-core full-cache part is available?

Sometimes, you just gotta eat the L, AMD.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The ASRock B650 Pro RS/Pro RS Wifi, meanwhile, is on AEGSA 1.1.0.0. Actually been wondering if/when the next update might show up, and the answer seems to be "when 1.1.0.2 drops". :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You'll pry 3DMark2001SE out of my cold, dead hands

So I had the itch to play around today, and I was a little surprised to see that 2001SE actually booted and ran on my 7800X3D/4070 Win11 system... but 3DMark 03, 05 and 06 wouldn't. (I was less surprised to see that 2000 didn't start correctly, and 99 refused to even install. :v:) Sadly, they give extremely nonspecific errors when starting up, so it's hard to troubleshoot what's going on. I'm tempted to download Vantage and see how well the system crunches through that, but 2001SE was funny enough as it was, and the 11 result was impressive enough for my blood.

Funnily enough, though, I actually do get a sound error from 2001SE's demo even though the rest runs fine. I guess 2001SE doesn't play nice with the Realtek audio on the B650 Pro RS.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

v1ld posted:

Do we have any expectation on Zen 5 availability? Do the subsequent x3D parts lag by a good bit usually?

The original 5800X3D was a "gimmick" toward the (anticipated) end of Zen 3's lifespan. The 7800, 7900 and 7950 X3D models were announced right at the start of Zen 4's lifespan.

Given their extreme popularity, I would absolutely expect that the (higher-end) X3D parts for Zen 5 will be announced in the initial lineup.

EDIT: VVV Though, what Cygni said. The first X3D parts will probably be available a few months after the non-X3D ones; I would expect the 9800X3D (or a part like it, the 1CCD 8+ processor core model) to be available comparatively early, given how well the 7800X3D has done and how the response to the 7900/7950 was lukewarm.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

movax posted:

Now, to just hope some mobo manufacturer puts a 10Gbit SFP on a mATX board... highly unlikely (probably will get 10GbE w/ a Marvell NIC) but it would save a PCIe slot. Doubt it will happen on a desktop board though.

To come back to this, integrated 10Gbit is very rare on most consumer motherboards and are usually kept to the "ultra-luxury" lines. Pairing with an AM5 socket, it's offered on the MSI MEG ACE, Gigabyte AORUS EXTREME, MSI MEG GODLIKE and Asus ProArt CREATOR models. The cheapest of those is the Asus at US$440. They're all full ATX or extended ATX, too.

I would definitely say a sub-$150 MATX board of some description, with a 10Gbit NIC plugged in to the second PCIe like we're living in the 1990s, is the play. Motherboard stratification has absolutely become a problem (even for basic features like a god drat POST code readout), and it's not going to reverse any time soon, so integrated 10Gbit on an MATX board (which are treated purely as "value" boards these days) is out of the question.

Anyway, yeah, the 7800X3D is exactly what you're looking for. There's a ton of really good airflow-centric MATX cases, too. Liquid cooling isn't even necessary for the 7800, generally, unless you just prefer it for build and aesthetic purposes.

(Also, good to see you posting in PC threads again, Movax. :3: )