Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The IHS and thermal interface are factors too. The AM5 IHS is a bit thicker than the AM4 one and also thicker than Intel's IHSes, which leads to higher core temperatures. So it's definitely not just a power thing.

Because the power density is so high the IHS amounts to little more than a thermal insulator in modern chips, making it thicker or having a less than ideal thermal interface just makes it that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sininu posted:

LMAO, even Notepad was made sluggish with their "upgrade"

And don't even get me started about how notepad and a bunch of other apps no longer remember their last size/position anymore.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm not boosting for fan control, btw, I paid for Argus.

Also, someone noted my reg date, and I assure you that responsiveness in GUI's has been increasing overall in the last 3 decades. I remember having to wait SECONDS for a browser window to minimize or spending minutes waiting for games to load. Criticizing poorly written apps is fair game, but it doesn't sound like fan control is a particularly egregious example.

I think a better example is GTA 5 which had a bug in its loading code for years that made loading take 50x longer than it needed to be.

Edit: lol fan control isn't even Electron?! You all were just meme-ing about it? Lol, bunch of self owns it.

Jedi Survivor takes longer to load than Windows 11, and it isn't even that out of the ordinary for a video game load time.

Fan Control is a bit janky and definitely sluggish, but it does actually work fairly well when you need it. I have all my fan curves baked into BIOS, but occasionally I want to override them temporarily for one reason or another and it gets the job done.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sininu posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for Zen5 to upgrade my 3700X and avoid the first gen issues DDR5 and new chipsets have.

Same, but would be upgrading from an Intel 9900k assuming I can wait that long.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

karoshi posted:

Don't stop until all space between CCDs and IODs is filled with fat SRAM stacks. Can you make the IHS out of SRAM?

Terabytes of cache to make up for everything being programmed as a lovely web app.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Gatac posted:

The memory is on the QVL, specifically checked before buying.

And as posted, updated BIOS to latest to no apparent effect.

Will be staying at 5800, then.

You can try pushing the RAM voltage to 1.4, it should be able to handle that (1.35 is the stock, but other variants using the exact same ICs are rated 1.4). The other things to try are the 7800X3D isn't that latency sensitive thanks to the extra cache so you could back off to CL32 or 34 without any noticeable drop in performance, which will give the RAM some more room to breathe at higher frequencies. Lastly you could exchange it for some G.Skill Flare X5 which is the EXPO tuned variant.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So, I just finished building a 7800X3D system, I'm mostly just running defaults on my Asus B650-A other than turning on EXPO (CL30/6000 MHz). Installed AMD chipset drivers. Is there anything else I should be doing?

PBO? Ryzen Master? I updated BIOS to the latest available (2023/10/7) before installing windows, it appears to be running AGESA 1.0.8.0. Any reason to keep an eye out for further updates?

Generally I'm gaming on this, but I care more that it *just works* rock solid stable over spending hours tweaking for a 3% gain in performance/efficiency.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Userbenchmark now requires a subscription to run their lovely benchmark suite more than once. :psypop:

As if you needed any more reasons to ignore that horrible place.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Josh Lyman posted:

On my 7900X, my understanding is the 64MB of L3 cache is split across the 2 CCDs. If a game (or application) doesn’t load cores across both CCDs, is the full L3 cache still being used?

It is one cache, but some effort is likely made to keep stuff on one CCD from getting into the cache on the other CCD. If an application running on one CCD has something in the cache on the other CCD it will have to pay the latency and bandwidth penalty to retrieve it. The full cache can be used even by a single application, but there likely isn't much benefit from going over what fits in the local CCD.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tuna-Fish posted:

No, it's not. The L3 is a victim cache of the L2:s of the cores that are in the same CCX. That is, the only way a line ever ends up in L3 is if it was first evicted by one of the local cores. The other CCD can read from the cache, but only for coherency, and this is not much faster than reading from main ram.

Ah, that makes sense, been a while since I've read up on the arch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So, I have an "ASUS B650-A GAMING WIFI" motherboard because apparently allcaps makes it better? Anyway, I'm running a slightly older BIOS on it (v1811) and I see they are up to 2413, a couple "enhance system stability", a couple AGESA versions, and the logofail fix. My 7800X3D system is running well, stable, stock clocks/voltage, memory is running at 6000/CL30 off its EXPO profile just fine, is there any reason I should update to the newer BIOS? Or if it isn't broke, don't fix it?