Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cross-Section posted:

Are those Kryosheet thermal contact pads that I occasionally see advertised on GN/HU any good if you're pretty much just gaming and not doing anything CPU-intensive?

Yeah, they're fine. The performance is slightly worse than fresh thermal paste, and the up-front cost is higher. But they last forever. So if you are a dedicated non-tinkerer who wants to put the PC together and then ignore it for 5 years (other than the occasional dust cleaning) they're pretty ideal.

IIRC GN's biggest caveat when they reviewed it was that the sheets are pretty fragile, which can make their supposed re-usability tricky.

Cross-Section posted:

Sometimes feels like my biggest impediment to casually tinkering around with builds is the prospect of having thermal paste get everywhere (and it does, it always does).

Stop worrying about precise application. Draw a big X from corner to corner on the IHS, cap the tube, and then put the heatsink on.

Any video you have seen on youtube about thermal paste application, showing demonstrations with glass sheets -- "don't do it this way, look at the trapped air bubbles!" -- are completely bogus misinformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tuna-Fish posted:

Is CAMM going to be a thing for this gen, or only the one after this?

This gen of memory, ddr5? Yes. This gen of CPUs / platfroms? Dunno, seems to be a 2024 thing at the earliest now.

They were talking about it happening this year, but then nobody was buying PCs. It's definitely not a thing you launch in a cold market -- the biggest deal for CAMM is high-end :homebrew: laptops where shaving 3mm is big news.

Arzachel posted:

I don't think JEDEC have even finalized the spec yet

Pretty sure they did? They definitely had a vote to approve it. And it's being extended:

https://www.jedec.org/news/pressreleases/jedec-expands-camm-standardization-include-two-key-memory-technologies

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'd be interested in the power draw. If they can get them at 5600x levels that would be very attractive

It would mean less power consumption, less heat generated, smaller cooling factors for smaller systems etc while being fast as heck

5800X3D has less max power draw than normal 5800X, so the same will probably apply to the others.

But TBQH if you want to make a low power draw system for like SFF or whatever, you can take a 5800X3D or any other Ryzen and just set a lower PPT. You don't need a special CPU. They are very efficient at this.

Theris posted:

I was trying to figure out how this made sense, and I think this is it. They have some dies that can't hit 4.5GHz under the vcache blanket, but they also don't think they can sell them any other way.

I'd be very skeptical that you could take "leftover" dies that are already cut out from the wafers and turn them into X3D chips. The CPU die needs to be thinned down, which I would think is something you'd have to do during the fab process while they're all on the big wafer?

Also at this point there's no way that zen 3 process is producing scads of flawed chips.

I'd go with:
1. X3D packaging tech is mature / cheaper as Dr VG said.
2. AMD bought fab capacity from TSMC that they're having trouble filling. The market is down. Producing a bunch of cheaper X3D chips for the old platform might entice people on AM4 who aren't buying a shiny new AM5 system to throw some money on a CPU upgrade.

I'd certainly be tempted, if this is true. I have a 3700X, which I bought back when AMD was saying that X370 would never get support for 5000 CPUs. I loving hate rewarding those shenanigans by them giving them more money for yet another AM4 CPU... But if the price is good I can forgive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceDrake posted:

The 96MB cache is integrated to the die and isn't something that can be added post-manufacturing.

No, the whole point of X3D is that the cache isn't integrated into the CPU die itself. It's on additional pieces of silicon stacked on top.

And that is added post-fabrication. TSMC makes a wafer full of CPU dies, AMD takes them elsewhere* and the cache silicon is stacked on during the packaging process, not the fab process.

However, the chiplets that become X3D CPUs have to be thinned down such that CPU chiplet + cache silicon has the same height as normal not-X3D CPU chiplets. I don't know how that's done, but I can't imagine anything other than chemical etching? And if that's the case I'm absolutely sure you'd want to do it on a whole wafer, not individual dies.

* "malaysia" is popping into my head?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tuna-Fish posted:

No, that's mechanical. They are basically lapped until they are paper-thin.

Wild! Do you know if that's done on whole wafers, or individual dies after they break them up?

Tuna-Fish posted:

But that's not the bottleneck, the through-silicon-vias are. [...] Because of this, they need to decide whether a CPU is going to get vCache fairly early.

Aha. So these can't be leftover general-purpose Zen 3 dies, but they could be flawed 5800X3D -- or Epyc X3D -- chips.

I'm still doubtful they have tons of semi-flawed chips to sell. Microcenter-only 5600X3D? Sure. General availability rather than another limed release thing, no. If their yields had been that terrible this whole time they wouldn't be selling X3Ds for $300.

The vias being a big time-sink could jive with "we pre-bought too much TSMC capacity" though. If they can't sell all the regular chips they could be making, make more of the PITA ones that take twice as long, and sell them for slightly more money.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BurritoJustice posted:

Isn't the only quote we have to this effect from a Microcentre rep to GamersNexus?

I still think it only makes sense as an artificial part, I have no idea why adding the stacked cache fails in a way that kills only two of the cores, whereas it makes a lot of sense to just have a cut down 6 core with good performance to challenge the lower end of the market. It's not a unique thing, almost all CPUs are cut down due to segmentation instead of binning. Especially tiny chiplet CPUs on an extremely mature node.

If it makes sense to sell it as a product segment, why sell it only at one specific US-only retailer where it is available only in-store? That's not a market, it's a rounding error.

Maybe AMD later decided that the 5600X3D was a good idea and that's why the supply, which microcenter described to GN as "limited time", has apparently never run out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

is it still better in gaming if you tell games that profit from the extra cache to only launch on x3d cores and games that profit from raw clock speed to run on faster non-x3d cores?

actually interested if anyone did that kind of benchmark, though obviously budget wise it's probably never worth it

Are there any games where a plain 7800X or 7950X beats an X3D?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Intel also has better single-core performance on the i7 and i9 parts, even if you aren't overclocking your memory to crazy high levels. So it turns out that the 14900K or 13900KS are probably the best factorio CPUs. Though really, the difference isn't enough to matter. Here's Hardware Unboxed's testing on a different map:

I agree that if you want to spend $600 for a gaming CPU, the 14900k is a better choice than a 7950X3D.

OTOH spending $600 for a gaming CPU is real dumb when the $350 7800X3D is sometimes better and often only a fraction worse. Spend that extra $250 of the GPU, or more storage, or rgb lights, or an 8800X3D upgrade next year, or whatever non-PC hobbies you have, or a worthy charity, or lottery tickets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gatac posted:

So, I recently did a build with a 7800X3D on an Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI mobo with G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 memory.

The G.Skill Ripjaws S5 is Intel XMP only, and does not have an EXPO profile. This means that when you try to load DOCP, it's using the XMP settings. On a cheaper kit like this, they probably push the XMP right up to the edge of what Intel's better memory controller can handle. Which means AMD can't do those XMP settings. A kit with EXPO settings will work properly. (And are often a tiny bit more expensive, because they actually have to use better ram to run at the same settings.)

Solutions:
1. run it at 5800, accept tiny performance loss and move on, lesson learned: buy memory on your mobo's QVL
2. return the memory and get a kit with AMD EXPO
3. get into manual memory overclocking -- I'd bet you can run your kit at 6000 with the right combo of extra juice and manual memory timings

(I would also recommend running memtest to make sure the memory is 100% stable, even if you choose to stick with #1.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gatac posted:

The memory is on the QVL, specifically checked before buying.

And as posted, updated BIOS to latest to no apparent effect.

Will be staying at 5800, then.

Huh, so it is. Do you have the ram in the correct slots? (Those being the pair furthest away from the CPU.) And have you done a memtest run to see that it's actually stable at 5800?

(lmao maybe the asus QVL list was made when they were overvolting the gently caress out of the SoC, and after setting people's CPUs on fire their QVL list now has ram that's 50/50)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arzachel posted:

Isn't it usually slot 2 and 4? I haven't looked at a non-ITX board in a long time lol

The normal labeling convention for most ATX boards is:

CPU---A1-A2-B1-B2

and you use A2 & B2 for 2 sticks, the pair that are furthest from the CPU.

edit: oh I guess "pair furthest from the CPU" could be interpreted as B1 & B2. ugh, language.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 24, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rawrbomb posted:

Sorry for the dumb questions, if I am doing the timings manually, do I just leave everything alone and modify tCL level? The last time I did any serious memory timings/etc work was at least 20 years ago.

Yeah, clockspeed and CAS / tCL are the make or break things.

If you set tCL to something lower and leave all the other timings as "auto", the BIOS can probably find values that boot. They might not be the fastest possible, but probably good enough.

Also since you're doing everything manually, you'll need to set the memory voltage to 1.35 or 1.4 as well.

Rawrbomb posted:

The RAM modules are on the certified list: CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

I am guessing whatever version I have, is not the certified one? I don't know how I'd find out short of taking them out (for the version number)

CPU-Z might be able to fetch that info?

Corsair is a real bitch like that, model number is meaningless because they change important stuff with version numbers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rawrbomb posted:

CPU-Z and my UEFI show more or less the same stuff

Oh well.

IDK that it really matters -- that memory is old, so it's not like you can return it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

this includes an 8840U that you are going to see in a ton of handhelds that is physically identical to the 7840U and clocks the same, with the exception of a higher turbo on the NPU cores you will never use on a handheld. so dont be suckered into thinking its an upgrade if you already have one.

So here's my hot take: if you buy poo poo with zero research or reviews, just because it has some bigger number or has some branding, you are already a sucker. A less-disingenuous CPU naming scheme won't help. You played yourself.

None of these mobile CPUs are sold individually, they're all part of complete products. Buying it just for the CPU is stupid, so the CPU model naming scheme really doesn't matter.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Dunno if it really plugs all those security holes though.

I'm sure UEFI stuff has an infinity of other holes. Hell, one of my PCs has a goddamn web browser built in the bios.

But logofail was yet another attack where step one was gain admin access. If malware has the ability to run at the admin level so it can gently caress with your bios by putting a new logo in there, it can do an endless number of other bad things. Logofail is bad because it's a method for invisible compromise, something big companies and governments are very worried about. For most of us it's a very low threat, and I wouldn't run out to install a beta bios just for that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

So when are are going to ban use of C and C++ globally? Insane amounts of absurdly hazardous security vulnerabilities are written with them every day, because the languages and their base concepts are thoroughly rotten to the core.

The idea that you can't write insecure code in Rust or whatever other FOTM language is laffo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The number one thing a normie laptop buyer is looking at is price. I struggle to imagine the person who looks at a $800 laptop that says "7750U" and a $300 laptop that says "8320U" and imagines that the cheap one is better.

That was what made Intel's failure of a call-out so dumb: their imaginary consumer would do exactly that, but with an intel CPU in the expensive slot.

Basically the only place where it makes a real difference is when someone is comparing this year's $350 laptop versus last year's $450 laptop that's on sale for $75 off. That is the amount it matters. Yes, someone might make the wrong choice there and buy a 7320 when a 5500 is better. But it's really not a huge difference in performance. Nobody who would have been ok with a 5500 is gonna be shafted by a 7320.

And that's why OEMs asked AMD for this scheme. It works in marginal cases that help their margins.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

You grossly, grossly underestimate how stupid the average person is and the extent to which they will convince themselves that they have found some magnificent deal.

Some people can't be helped and marketing is gonna exist whatever AMD's model numbers scheme is. Chip generation as lead number can *also* be exploited for marketing.

The internet is full of decent info and PC reviews written for average people. I really don't give a poo poo about the guy so stupid that he rolls coal in a V8 hemi and then complains about Biden raising gas prices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

It might be ok but it might not boost as high. If your case cooling is at all marginal I wouldn't do it. I'd get a $20-30 cooler if you're gonna spend $250 on a CPU.

The 5700X3D has pretty low boost clocks in the first place, I think it will do fine. The Wraith Prism is actually a pretty decent cooler. (And like yes if the case cooling sucks it will be worse, but the answer there is fix the case because the GPU is probably way more unhappy about it than the CPU.)

The main upgrade with a cheap-ish 120mm tower is less noise. Twerk from Home, if noise isn't worth $30 to you, IMO a Prism is totally acceptable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Are the X3Ds really even worth all that money? It's a significant jump.

For gaming, they're insanely worth the money compared to more expensive CPUs.

They're not worth the money for people with budget constraints who also need a GPU, if that $150 could step up to the next grade of GPU.

Craptacular! posted:

Truthfully I wouldn't even think of upgrading my 3700X but my FPS in WoW's current expansion city when doing nothing else is so much worse than friends with 5900X, 5600X, Intel etc owing to single thread IPC of Zen1/2. I really don't want to spend $250-300 just to fix that and not also go backwards.

I'm pretty sure 3700X to 5700X3D or 5800X3D wouldn't be a step back anywhere. The big cache doesn't help with video encodes but Zen 3 is a bit faster all around, and the 5800X3D clocks just as fast as a 3700X.

OTOH Spending that much money for slightly better FPS in one area of WoW seems a bit silly. I have a 3700X and the game I play the most would benefit a lot from an X3D. The 5700X3D is real tempting but I have a hard time justifying that expense when my GPU is just a 6700.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Thanks everyone. Based on everything I have to go on, I should probably get the 5700X3D whenever it's not at that price.

I have a $20 5-pipe single tower air cooler that fits in the O11 Dynamic (Thermalright Assassin King SE120)

An inexpensive cooler is TBQH fine on X3D chips. They produce less watts than regular Ryzens of the same generation, but run hotter because the extra silicon layer is effectively insulation.

You lose a little bit of boost but it's a few tens of mhz, entirely trivial.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

it doesn't make sense for the 5700 to be the most expensive in the lot, because you're either getting a faster CPU with the X, or a working iGPU with the G

The 5700 is the most expensive because it just came out and is being sold for msrp, while everything else has been around for a while. I'm sure it will drop fast.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DeathSandwich posted:

How generous is AMDs warranty process?

I had a two month old 7800x3d keel over and die basically out of nowhere. I dropped my old 7600 in and it works fully fine now. Stock clocking settings, liquid cooled system that had no thermal problems. Not seeing and dead contact pads on the bottom nor is there any thermal muck.

Back when people noticed that Intel's fine print defines running XMP memory as "overclocking" and therefore out of warranty, gamers nexus did some anonymous trials to see if they could get a CPU warranty denied. In every case they were unable to get AMD or Intel to deny a warranty. Including when they boldly admitted stuff like "I was overvolting the CPU a lot, that's not covered by warranty right?" Nope, send it in, here's a new CPU.

I think the safe conclusion is that DIY overclocking enthusiasts are a rounding error for these companies so they just replace stuff no questions. And the warranty restrictions on overclocking are more aimed at keeping OEMs from doing anything crazy.

edit: also with the previous brouhaha over exploding x3ds I bet you could get a warranty replacement for a 7800x3d even if you were overvolting it with 120V AC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Actual studies of memory errors* in giant-scale production environments have shown that uncorrelated one-off errors are uncommon. In a facebook study, about 2% of servers had a error per month. Half of the servers with errors are strongly predicted by other repeating errors -- ie hardware fault. (And of course hardware fault generates the vast majority of errors by absolute count.)

ECC is definitely nice insurance, but as a home user it's good to think about the probabilities involved:

How often will my memory have errors? A bit more than 1% chance per month that you'll have a spurious error somewhere in your memory, the cosmic ray bit-flip type event. And a little less than 1% that something in your hardware will start generating repeatable errors.

How much of my memory is hosting critical data? On something like a NAS the answer is "not much". Your critical data is sitting on a drive. It only passes through memory when you're reading, writing, or the FS is doing scrubs or other maintenance. (And if you read but don't save, an error doesn't matter.)

What does that mean? The chance that the unpredictable error strikes at just the right time and location to corrupt your data is low. For something like a home NAS, what you are worried about is the failure that generates frequent ongoing errors, because those make lots of errors. Now you have reasonable odds of an error hitting something you care about.

Therefore, testing your memory on a regular (1-3 times per year) basis is pretty good protection for most home user purposes. Not absolute: get ECC if you're really paranoid, or if your home server is more than a home server. But it is well after stuff like offsite backups as far as data protection, and IMO unnecessary.

Also if you spring for ECC memory on your NAS but not your desktop, and aren't doing those periodic memtests on the desktop, you probably have just as good odds of corrupting your data.

*these studies are using ECC ram to see errors, but I see no reason the results would not apply to normal ram

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

Another important element of the paper, if I remember it correctly (I haven’t read it in years and I only re-read the abstract and intro), is

which means that ECC wouldn’t even necessarily protect you AIUI.

ECC bits are kept over the bus, so yes true ECC would protect you from controller and bus problems. Otherwise it would just be the DDR5 form of ECC, protecting from errors on the module itself.

Subjunctive posted:

On the other hand, that was DDR3, and the susceptibility of DRAM to corruption increases in 5 (hence on-chip non-signalling ECC), right?

Mostly the susceptibility to errors increases with density. I think DDR5 getting on-chip ECC wasn't really about the DDR4->5 transition, it just happens to be a convenient place where they could change the spec to mandate it.

Which means late-generation high-density DDR4, where they fit 16GB on a single-side stick, is the worst case for uncorrelated memory errors. That may be the place where you have the most incentive to use ECC. (Or some old sticks of low-density ddr4 in your parts bin.)

Eletriarnation posted:

I think it's totally valid for a home user to not give ECC serious consideration, if your preferred platform doesn't support it (e.g. Intel) or if you aren't very concerned about the possibility of soft error outages. Soft error outages don't seem to be especially common in my experience even now that we are getting into the tens of gigabytes of memory, so that's fine.

However, if your platform does support it then the cost is not bad. For that reason, I think it's a bit apples vs. oranges to say "you should have an offsite backup first" considering that could easily double the cost of the overall solution. You should have an offsite backup for anything critical or irreplaceable, but that is not most of the contents of many home NAS systems.

Good points, there's definitely a lot of personal priority stuff going on. To me a 1% chance to crash isn't really worth paying extra to avoid, even if I have to get up and walk to reset it. Repeated crashes because something went wrong -- such as the memory going bad -- are more annoying but eminently solvable problems. (Edit: I do agree that if the platform supports it, ECC is not a big splurge. But that's a big if, as we started this convo with "what's a lot-cost CPU that supports ECC?")

Crashes are temporary, data loss or corruption is forever. My house burning down would suck for many reasons, and if that included losing everything I've ever done with bits it would suck worse. That's why offside / cloud is more important than ECC to me.

Eletriarnation posted:

I also don't understand the claim that it's comparably important to have ECC on your desktop. ... The vast majority of the data on the NAS isn't even transferred through the desktop, I download it through VMs also hosted on the NAS.

Again, in my mind the thing that's important is personal and irreplaceable data. Whatever bullshit that I download from the internet isn't that. Some of it would be annoying to lose, but not important.

If I'm editing a document or photo or whatever and it gets silent corruption in flight, that could easily become irreplaceable. That could happen just as easily on my desktop as my NAS (if I had a NAS).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I know I keep harping on this one, but are we again ignoring that disk caching is a thing in this type of discussion? Personally, I've currently 52GB of (meta)data hot in RAM on my NAS.

Ok. You got 00 on this month's roll of the d100, and now have a bit-flip error somewhere in that 52GB cache. For that error to matter, you would need to:
1) access the file containing the error before the cache gets refreshed or the machine reboots
2) use / modify the file and save it back to disk including the error

1 isn't that unlikely, the cache is full of stuff the machine thinks you'll use. But 2 needs a little thinking:
Did the error strike a file you'll modify, or just a video you might watch?
Does the file format have any independent checksumming / integrity / features that will make corruption obvious?
Will the entire file be written back to disk whole?

If you're working with a big file -- the ones most likely to be hit by the error -- you'll probably only write a portion back to the drive. A large file with data blocks like "ABCDEFGH" which I modify to be "ABCDEXGH", only the X and some bits of the E and G get modified on disk. If there was a memory error in A it doesn't matter.

I know I keep harping on this, but is there any explanation for why ECC is super important that accounts for how constant file corruption is not a thing we observe on the zillions of PCs that don't have ECC? (And when you do see file corruption it is generally paired with non-mysteries like a drive that has bad sectors all over.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

DO NOT BUY A BARE EPYC CPU. ONCE OUT OF A MOTHERBOARD IT IS BRICKED

There's dogshit vendor-locking by blowing fuses inside the chip. As soon as you put it in a board it's hard-locked to that manufacturer. And if the manufacturer key is "facebook" nobody else can ever run them. They claim it's for "security" on supply chain attacks but that's a lie. It's entirely about making them e-waste and killing the secondary market.

a. It is a maybe, not an always. If the feature in the previous motherboard was turned on the CPU is locked, but that depends on the vendor & operator. (I still wouldn't buy a used bare epyc, at least not from anywhere I wasn't 100% sure if I could get my money back.)

b. It really is for security. UEFI firmware attacks are real, they have been caught in the wild, and experts don't even know how prevalent they are because they're so hard to detect. They're very much in the state-level zone where the only people who have to worry are important targets, but that describes people who buy a lot of server CPUs. And the only way to protect against it is keys in the CPU that can prevent unsigned UEFI from loading.

The other option is Intel Boot Guard, where there is a permanent key in the CPU. That has potential weakness to the whole ecosystem if the private key gets out -- and exactly that happened when MSI got a bunch of poo poo hacked. AMD's method is more secure because a huge operator like facebook can make their own key pair and not worry about some other company's poor security.

Green Gloves posted:

If I am looking to jump into AM5 from a i9 10850k. Would it make sense to save some cash and go for a 7600x instead of 7800x3d?

Yes, if you think you might upgrade the CPU next year when there's a newer and better x3d out. Or if $150 is dear to you. A 7600X is still a pretty good CPU.

No, if you want to put a box together and let it ride for 4 years. (Also there are rumors that Zen 6 will still be on AM5, so even 4 years from now you may have a decent upgrade path.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

It's not about security, any state level actor who can replace the firmware in a supply chain attack can afford to throw in a new epyc that immediately locks to their key.

AFAIK none of the discovered UEFI rootkits were from the supply chain. They were post install, leveraging smaller compromises into Advanced Persistent Threats. It's about security, you're just wrong.

edit: does it also suck for homelabs people who would like to run a used Epyc in their garage rackmount? Sure. But used outdated server CPUs are not a huge market that AMD has a big incentive to get rid of. Performance/watt is too important for large scale servers.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 14, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

It might help security in some marginal case, but I hope you don’t think that AMD would have done it without the economic effects.

Well they could have just done the same centrally-managed key thing as Intel... but if the economic effect is so big, why hasn't Intel done the same thing?

It is an incentive for AMD, but this ain't used games before digital distribution. The market for used bare server CPUs is a rounding error. Like, I bet the cost savings of not having to manage the thing themselves like Intel does is the bigger impact for the bottom line. Instead they have the fuse system and tell Facebook or Lenovo or whoever to manage their security themselves.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’m still rocking a SATA SSD :v: idk, I’ve looked at benchmarks for game loading between SATA SSD & NVMe and most of them only shave off a second or two? Meh

Pretty much. So far the only game I've seen where a super-fast NMVe drive made a big difference was Starfield, at launch, because the game had some hideously unoptimized small-block unqueued file reads that would choke even a gen5 drive and cause frame stutters. Even the PC port of Ratchet & Clank works fine on a sata SSD.

So yeah keep rocking that sata cable, anyways now is not the time to buy SSD storage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They haven't said. There's a 50/50 chance that Microsoft waffles long enough that the AI boom wanes before any of this becomes reality, they only do a half-hearted attempt at pushing "AI PCs," and then drop the matter and pretend it never happened within 5 years.

inshallah

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Apparently DDR6 is going to be coming out in 2026. Maybe AMD is gonna try to do the 2 memory controllers thing? It worked well for Intel in the DDR4-5 transition.

So AM5+ might be the initial DDR6 platform that's compatible with AM5, but you need the new CPU to use DDR6.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the motivation for moving power management onto the DIMM for DDR6? Is there some limit that’s being hit when pushing it from the motherboard, or do they just want to avoid motherboards loving with voltages badly?

Seeing some references that they're gonna do dynamic frequency & voltage? That would be cool if true, main memory is one of the last things that doesn't adjust to match power use & required performance.

But there's not a lot of info on dd6 yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shrike82 posted:

Anyone following the Snapdragon X Elite previews? If they deliver on Apple Silicon performance for Windows laptops including the Rosetta-equivalent for non-native code, it seems like it'd be a good buy for ultrabooks.

The previews are odd in that they're trying to show off gaming performance which isn't the main thing why people would go for these laptops.

I can think of lots of good reasons.

It's a thing average people do with PCs that actually requires high performance. If you don't play games and don't need grunt for some sort of professional work that relatively few people do, you can be happy with a very inexpensive CPU.

It's a thing that has been totally crippling for non-x86 platforms in the past, and you can't just get a native compile.

Macbooks still suck at games (certainly due more to apple neglect than hardware), so that's a place they can get a win and show off their thing being "faster" than a much more expensive M2 or M3 laptop.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

If you want to build a tiny box go ahead, but do so with the understanding that you're yet again building a PC that is valuing things you probably won't care about for very long over things that you probably will care about in the long run, like upgrading GPUs or achieving quieter operation by having better airflow.

mATX is generally fine for GPU compatibility and airflow. Though mATX isn't what I'd call "tiny". Versus something like the C-type Fractals, an mATX is 15" tall instead of 17", big whoop.

If movax meant ITX instead, there are decent options for ITX cases that still support all but the most chonky GPUs and work fine with air cooling. They're just big ITX.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

Oops… 3D Cache derail! The points made all make sense to me though. I think what would drive me insane, knowing myself, is verifying games are doing the right thing on the right cores and just taking away the problem in the first place by having one CCD will win over that part of my brain.

On the 3960X, it’s annoying enough watching games or ST tasks not live up to what they should be doing… not a gaming CP, but I really shouldn’t expect BATTLETECH or Civ to be performing mostly as it did on my 2600K.

Well, uh, you've chosen two games that get basically zero benefit from all those cores. Battletech is single-thread (and janky in general). Civ 6 is basically 2 threads.

And you already should be driving yourself insane over CCDs with the threadripper. A general problem for AMD's architecture is that if a thread gets moved from a core on CCD A to one on CCD B, you have performance loss from needing to fetch cache across the IO die. This problem got mostly solved in the scheduler over the years, but I dunno if the threadrippers are still affected by it. I still see people saying they use process lasso for their threadrippers and it makes a difference.

movax posted:

My use case mounts the tower under my standing desk, and I know my Meshify fits so the desire for 'smaller' is just some other part of my midlife crisis, probably. And I need room for all my sweet sweet radiators.

Yeah if you're gonna stick with the watercooling I wouldn't downsize to mATX. The Meshify 2C you have is already pretty small for an ATX case.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't that usage case of "tons of cores without significant I/O or memory bandwidth"

The memory bandwidth is fine, it's latency that gets killed by having to hop across the IO die to a different controller. That's real bad for games, but plenty of Real Work type things are much less bothered.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JSON Bourne posted:

On the topic of PCIE lanes, is there any AM5 motherboard that offers slots for both x16 and x8? I've been looking but the best I can seem to find is an x16 slot and an x4.

I didn't realize this would be a problem when I got a 7800x3d recently, but the motherboard I purchased only does x16 and then 3 PCIE 3.0 x1 slots. I know my use case is stupid, but I have an x8 Mellanox 25gbps card that wouldn't work at x1 for obvious reasons.

A true x8 lane slot? Not really. The only thing you're going to get is the high-end X670E mobos with 2 x16 PCIe 5.0 slots, which will split the x16 from the CPU into a pair of x8s.

All of the mobos with "x16" slots that are really only x4 or x1 are that way because they hang off the chipset and the chipset link is x4 gen4.

Will the card not work with reduced lanes though? PCIe is supposed to auto-negotiate lanes and stuff. Even at x4 gen3 you're getting 4 GByte/s, which should cover the 25gbit/s of your card. Unless the card is gen2 because it's old, at which point you'd just have to live with reduced speed or get a more modern card.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kivi posted:

You'd also need to consider the power delivery as wider slots have more power to them, you'd need to make sure that these cute small open ended slots can handle up to 75 watts cards.

PCIe power is all on that front stubby bit, which is the same on every size of slot. Every slot needs 75 watts by spec.

My guess would be that open-end slots are much easier to break or damage. Server stuff gets put together and then shoved into racks and nobody touches it until it fails or is obsolete. DIYers are always monkeying with their PCs. And if someone puts a heavy x16 GPU into an open-end x4 slot and then is moving or shipping the PC, it probably ends in tears.

Thus the general absence in consumer boards and prevalence in server and pro-grade stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mixing different types of memory of similar specs is still a no-go?

Do you mean like one stick of each, or adding another pair of sticks?

Mixed sticks in a single pair, your problem is the XMP/AMP values might be slightly different for the two. When loading XMP it just looks at one stick, it doesn't do any comparison or smarts. It should work fine in JDEC, or with speed backed down one notch from rated value. But to fully OC you may need manual settings of timings & voltage set because you have to target the worst value for both.

Adding a second pair, it doesn't matter because even 4 perfectly matched sticks will get trained to slower timings, if they can run at rated speed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Are the “pro” ryzen cpus usually available for retail sale or are those just for system builders?

I am looking at the Ryzen 5 pro 8000 series (maybe 8600g) for a nas build as it has integrated graphics, low tdp and ecc support..

No retail, for system builders or at least by-the-tray only.