Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Those of you that bought ryzen, how long did it take you guys to get your AM4 upgrade bracket? I'll finally be getting the last of my components today, but thermaltake is giving me the run around. I'm impatient damnit. :argh:

A month for the corsair bracket, but they should have stock now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Yipes, that's quite a while. The problem for me is that I have no idea whether thermaltake has shipped the bracket or even if it's in stock or what. I can't log into their website, even though I'm using the username they gave me. Customer service is as clueless as I am, they say their servers have been down, but that was 3 days ago. Now they don't even answer the phone.

If the thermaltake AIO is made by asetek, the corsair or nzxt adaptors may fit. Corsair will ship the bracket free without proof of purchase, NZXT requires proof of purchase. I got the bracket before the AIO, just waiting on a sale now :shobon:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Mad_Lion posted:

Barton nostalgia ftw. I had an Nforce 2 board with a barton 2500+ OC'd effortlessly to a 3200+, a gig of DDR 800mhz ram (I think?), cooled by a 100% copper Thermalright heatsink. I can't remember the fan I had on it, but it was 92mm. 500 watt Sparkle PSU (ridiculous overkill), and a 10,000 WD Raptor HDD for the main OS drive. It was still rocking a Radeon 8500, though. That was going to be the next upgrade. The case was an Antec SOHO server case (the one with the door on the front) with 4 80mm panaflo fans. It had a 48x DVD-ROM and a 16x DVD writer, and possibly even a zip disc drive lol. I think this was 2003? But I ended up selling the rig and getting a laptop. It was still a desktop replacement laptop, though. Athlon 64 and a Geforce 4 MX. Those were the days.

Probably a SLK800

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Are they going to try packaging an air cooler with the R9 1998x?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They will also be upping SoC voltage to +0.2v from +0.1v with the new bios releases to help reach 3200, not to mention running at 1.4v on the memory. If you are having issues hitting the speed, these are things you can try now with AGESA 1004.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
TB3 would be cool and good for everyone not just AMD.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Theris posted:

I hope AMD realizes that any product with names like those has to come in a box featuring a poorly CGI'd warrior lady in bikini armor.

Yessssss

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They can probably tweak it quite well for a long time, like Intel's core.

So rerelease the same core for about a decade, sounds good

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

ASRock mITX announced

Comes in both X370 and B350 variants.

mITX x370 instead of the x300 :raise: x300 seem to be vaporware

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It could be for gaming cafes now that gpu passthrough is a thing. 1 threadripper, 4 gpus, 4 seats :fap:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Did AMD drive the optimization effort or did the studio? I want to know if they will repeat/share this across other games

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

eames posted:

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Speaking of Threadripper, Linus dropped some pretty heavy hints that Threadripper is two Ryzen 7 cores on a single package. I always knew that the architecture would be modular but having what appears to be two identical sockets merged into one was eye opening. Hopefully performance won't suffer too much if it's an SMP-like architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynBEGCtg90

Wouldn't this be sort of related to the Navi technology they are working on on the GPU side?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Paul simply has a hateboner for AMD

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Klyith posted:

yeah it'll definitely make aftermarket coolers more expensive, but you're buying an $800 cpu. suck it up.*

* when the comparable intel chip is $2000. Can't stress the value proposition enough here.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

As they should be. The question isn't if Intel will react, but rather how much.

Reaction: Raid keys, $100 or $300

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Intel is betting on losing less potential profits from sales than they would from lowering margins, which I agree with. If market adoption is very strong they will revisit this and adjust pricing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

B-Mac posted:

Care to expand on this?

Also curious

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Conspiracy theory: Mac Pros are being held back to plop in Threadrippers. They could keep their margins and lower the price to the consumer :monocle:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Col.Kiwi posted:

"in practice" depends on your workload.

Clock speed means absolutely nothing. As shown by the 6100 hitting significantly higher single threaded performance than the 1700 at the same clock speed.

Performance difference between the two depends on whether you have largely single or 2-threaded workloads or workloads that can actually use more cores. If you are playing Overwatch or Counterstrike or a myriad of other games with nothing significant in the background and your other use is web browsing and other light tasks, from the 6100 to the 1700 is a downgrade. If you are doing heavy multitasking of nontrivial tasks or using any productivity software that can seriously load several threads, the 1700 is a serious upgrade.

Very few workloads on a 6100 would be better than a 1700. 2 cores really doesn't do it anymore unless you are on a serious budget and have a hateboner for AMD.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The people that browse the web on 6100s for light duty are better served using phones or tablets they likely already own. System integrators that sell 6100 systems frequently pair it with 4gb and a spindle drive. 2c4t for light office work fine that is a use case but you'd also need a ssd and at at the very least 8gb of ram. i3s certainly have a place given their value but let's not kid ourselves that it dumpsters a 1700.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

underage at the vape shop posted:

Are ryzen's reliable?

I have a launch Ryzen 1700 and Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350. Just last night, yes last night, I pushed the power button to issue a soft power on command and I was greeted seconds later with the OS having been loaded.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Measly Twerp posted:

What was wrong with it this entire time?

I didn't leave it running Ethereum since I bought it, feels bad man

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Comatoast posted:

I think the reliability concern is because of some reports that under heavy load ryzen can cause errors / seg. faults and other program crashing and data destroying sorts of things.

Very limited information regarding that, like 3 people complained? Likely memory clock / ram / memory controller related issue with regard to their specific installation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, some of the people involved claim to be running memory that's on the QVL, and state that the bug is deterministically reproduceable with stock clocks.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/788732-ryzen-segmentation-faults-when-compiling-heavy-gcc-linux-loads/

If you're not stable running under those conditions, it's not exactly filling me with confidence for Ryzen's merits as an enterprise product.

Users are reporting a variety of things fixing the issue, from microcode, binutils version, to disabling SMT, etc. Could be hardware or software at this point

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My Corsair branded Hynix memory works fine, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

https://valid.x86.fr/nf4khu

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
3pm ct is the launch, Lisa has 30 minutes to wow us with launch partners otherwise its AH/PM trading :qq:

nvm I was right/wrong

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/877167059448233984

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Dell/HP/SuperMicro confirmed OEMs so far, no cloud customers yet. If they announce even one :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Cloud Datacenter and Enterprise Customers
Datacenter and cloud service providers also welcomed EPYC to the market today. Members of the “Super 7” datacenter services providers, including Baidu and Microsoft Azure, as well as 1&1, Bloomberg, Dropbox and LexisNexis, all voiced their support at launch.

“As the world’s largest Chinese language search engine and leading AI-Tech company, Baidu prides itself on simplifying a complex world through technology,” said By Dr. Zhang Ya Qin, president of Baidu. “The AMD EPYC processor powered one-socket server can significantly increase our datacenter computing efficiency, reduce TCO and lower energy consumption. We will start deploying with the launch of AMD EPYC and I look forward to our cooperation leading to scaled EPYC adoption this year, and ongoing innovations.”

“We’ve worked to make Microsoft Azure a powerful enterprise grade cloud platform, that helps guide the success of our customers, no matter their size or geography,” said Girish Bablani, corporate vice president, Azure Compute, Microsoft Corp. “To power Azure, we require the most cutting-edge infrastructure and the latest advances in silicon which is why we intend to be the first global cloud provider to deliver AMD EPYC, and its combination of high performance and value, to customers."

to the moon

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Regardless of that, the margins on Epyc are going to be insane for AMD. If they can ramp up some sales volume this is nuts. If they do roughly the same thing to Navi :staredog:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Torpor posted:

So amd has Microsoft and Baidu as customers lined up?

I have no idea how big they actually are as customers.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx

Azure is #2 or has surpassed AWS in terms of revenue for cloud

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

Unfortunately, no. It's a Corsair CS850M and a couple years old now. Carry over from the build just prior to this.

Yeah, I've pretty much gone through all the charging/discharging stuff there is to do at this point. I'm within my exchange date and 30-day manufacturer defect guarantee for Canada Computers so hopefully they won't give me poo poo about having to do an RMA through ASRock or whatever. I'm gonna swap it out for an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS since they don't have anymore of hte ASRocks in stock by me unfortunately.

Be prepared to have them spend many minutes looking at the board in extreme detail trying to find signs of damage or the like.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

I stood there for 20 minutes as he went and grabbed brand new RAM and an unopened Ryzen 5 1600 and just cut them open so he could open palm slam it into the mobo and hook everything up. Hey, guess what? Didn't POST.

Also I'm an idiot and forgot to include the I/O shield so he refused to do the exchange until I brought that. They closed at 8pm. I'm actually livid not because of my mobo dying but what kind of place closes at 8pm on a weekday?!

Tomorrow I'm gonna swap it out for the ASUS PRIME B350 Plus which, thankfully, my Kingston RAM is on the QVL for so no more swappery doo.

Make sure you bring every single piece of paper, included cable, styrofoam, etc

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

Welcome to Team Red :getin:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 22, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So this is the creme de la creme of silicon quality. Need to see some OC numbers on the 1700

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

I'm sad the R3 line are 4C/4T. Hopefully Raven Ridge will have 4C/8T SKUs.

If they price it against G4630 it will certainly have it's place. AM4 needs some low end skus to push the platform

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I have the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3, rating: works and has LEDs

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How will you know your computer is on without pulsing light coming from your pc or pc accessories :confused:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Truga posted:

if the computer's hanged itself, the lock keys on your keyboard will not respond.

This is not true in all cases. Sometimes the OS can be totally frozen and the keyboard lights will cycle correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

No, because the OS signals the light change. If no part of the OS code is executing, the lights don't change. Sometimes big pieces can be locked, though, and have that portion still function.

mouse frozen, keyboard lights work, os doesn't respond. Machine is frozen.