Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

You'll need to explain to me what is triggering the light change then, if not the handler in the OS that's executing on time.

:iiam:, kidding it was actually an AMD driver crash causing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Palladium posted:

Does AM4 run 2x16GB DDR4-3200 reliably now?

Which board? Figure that out and search the web cache for cpuz validations. This isn't ideal, but it's a start

https://www.google.ca/?q=+3200+ryzen+site:http://valid.x86.fr/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
5Ghz? Anything around 4.5Ghz with Zen+ will close the casket on Intel's gaming dominance.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes nice, but when can I have one?

August 10th

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I wonder if the ryzen 3 launch was to maintain margins in Q2 or to wait for enough defective dies to build inventory for own customers. Perhaps both.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Maxwell Adams posted:

Wow, all the AMD info is dropping today. What's next, news about their imminent video card launch?

Sunday

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
There is no way AMD are plopping 2 extra dies onto a TR package. Barring some sort of strange technical limitation where they need to use 4 interconnects this is pretty ridiculous of a rumour.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

On AMD's own facebook page

I'm dying, this is loving absurd.

That's p great

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

I'm trying to think of a good reason to make an intel based home hypervisor ever again

Intel might pay you to use them

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
For those that missed it. the pulled video involved a green carrier frame, and the 1-2-3 install, and 3-2-1 uninstall.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
There was a compression clamp of sorts as well holding the CPU inside the box

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

You make me sick.

How "future-proofed" am I with a AM4 and B350 mobo in terms of upgradeability?

The current AM4 CPU and B350 board will work, this does not mean new cpus will necessarily work without a different board/chipset. See Intel.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Why are you trying to minmax thermal paste on active dies?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You should buy the latest and greatest Intel prescott extreme edition friend, more gigahertz more powerrrr

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-test-1950x-1920x/3

2/4 channel testing

It's too bad serve the home doesn't have a threadripper review

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
1920X/1950X OOS @ amazon

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
TechRadar http://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x

"Games are absolutely playable"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

:wtc:

I had to check the article because I didn't believe you

e: Looks like they updated the graph to not be stupid

A saved image of the page bahaha

ed: bahahahaha

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Goddamnit, Linus.

Look at the disparity in viewcount :discourse:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Epyc is 4 zen dies, Threadripper is 2 zen dies. One die to rule them all

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Sri.Theo posted:

So not many people have been discussing the lack of thunderbolt on AMD platforms. I think that will suck more then many people think for laptops, particularly as accessories are developed for it.

And some categories such as external GPUs are completely off limits.

I heard the same thing about Firewire

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

Thunderbolt isn't an apple thing.

Professionals use thunderbolt for equipment.

No matter how cheap amd makes a 32 core cpu if it doesn't have thunderbolt its a no go for groups of people.

Are these the same professionals that are locked into the mac trashcan?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Vega is sort of CPU related, but find us some undervolting benchmarks so we can imagine Raven Ridge

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Taking a quad channel platfrom and only running 2 fast dimms instead of 4/8 :thunk:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Godspeed to any moneybags that buy a 4 dimm DDR4000 kit :retrogames:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
AMD Zen is different from other platforms in which it tries a multitude of ram timings prior to boot (you can configure the number of attempts) and then uses whatever works. It might take 3+ tries to get 2933+ running. You can set 15-17-17-35 and get 16-17-17-35 like you saw.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They really are hammering the x299 platfrom

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

Intel wants you to pay 300 dollars for a raid key to use it*. AMD giving it for free

* with intel nvme drives. AMD is drive vendor agnostic

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

repiv posted:

new leak from wccftech

Big if true

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NomNomNom posted:

I just bought a 1600, I ordered 2133 ram before looking at performance impact, someone tell me how screwed I am and if so what I should get instead.

MSI B350 GAMING PRO motherboard

Return the ram

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

It's possible - likely, even - that I'm a dipshit who does stupid wrong stuff but if I have to apply thermal compound to a CPU with pins I do it when it's clamped in the socket.

I think people forgot how to apply TIM to PGA CPUs, but that was the only way I've ever done it or heard of doing it going back to the mid 90s.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

Eh, it could also mean AMD is dropping 7nm DUV because EUV is expected soon enough that it doesn't make sense to do a 7nm DUV and EUV Zen2. It could also mean there would be some degree of segmentation in what exactly is getting 12nm LP and 7nm DUV as well, so 12nm desktop products but 7nm mobile and server because GloFo simply doesn't have the capacity to do a blanket 7nm production for all AMDs products in 2018.

That's very different from having process problems.

e: can't read, you are right though. AMD demand strong

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
12NM Zen refresh coming in 2018 Q1

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170927PD212.html ed: no https

AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February 2018, says mobo makers Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 27 September 2017]

AMD has informed its partners that it plans to launch in February 2018 an upgrade version of its Ryzen series processors built using a 12nm low-power (12LP) process at Globalfoundries, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The company will initially release the CPUs codenamed Pinnacle 7, followed by mid-range Pinnacle 5 and entry-level Pinnacle 3 processors in March 2018, the sources disclosed. AMD is also expected to see its share of the desktop CPU market return to 30% in the first half of 2018.

AMD will launch the low-power version of Pinnacle processors in April 2018 and the enterprise version Pinnacle Pro in May 2018.

Their corresponding chipsets, the 400 series, will also become available in March 2018 with X470- or B450-based motherboards to be the first to hit the store shelves. The chipsets are still designed by ASMedia and its orders for the chipsets are expected to grow dramatically starting January 2018.

Thanks to stable chip orders for Microsoft's and Sony's game consoles, increased demand for graphics cards, growing sales for its Ryzen 7/5 processors, new Ryzen Pro product line for the enterprise sector and the top-end Ryzen Treadripper processors, AMD managed to achieve 19% sequential growth in second-quarter 2017 revenues and expects the amount to grow further by 23% in the third quarter.
AMD said it does not comment on products that have not been announced.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Love the left sidebar here

NVMe raid driver is out http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/NVMe-RAID-Support-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-platform.aspx

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Ryzen is currently available in volume, coffee lake seems to be a paper launch http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/intel/ If this situation changes yeah I think Coffee Lake has value for the high end skus. There is certainly going to be problems though because of them not naming it LGA1151v2

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Don't forget the motherboard to pair with the 8400, which will be an issue until non-z boards start shipping. In a couple weeks this will totally be a problem for the R5 models.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Selling out on launch day means it's a paper launch? :raise:

Paper launches are more about ongoing stock issues than anything. These days it's almost a given that nobody has enough stock in stores to fulfill the entire demand on day 1.

We can watch mindfactory's sales for actual numbers, looking paper to me though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
One national Canadian retailer still has about 40 8400 in stock. So if we’re generous, they got say 150 of each k sku for an entire country. Seems like low volume to me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Assume all Ryzen benchmarks are done with DDR4-2400 unless confirmed otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Holy poo poo I beat WCCFTech to a story:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-raven-ridge-apu-with-radeon-vega-m-gpu-spotted/

Also I think the 16GB SKUs will probably be dual channel. Doesn't help with 2400MHz, but in the mass market Envy line (instead of enterprise ones like the Elitebooks) I'm not totally surprised.

Hopefully there will be SKUs where graphics performance is a priority.

wccftech just rips their info off twitter and reddit, but computerbase might have been first

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/raven-ridge-hp-notebook-amd-ryzen-5-2500u/
16.10.2017 9:36 Uhr