Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anywhere you can read up about what limits different cpu familys re overclocking?

How often is it due to architecture or fab production quality or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Unless it clocks higher its going to be no better if not worse for gaming because it cant clock as high as the 8 core chips

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Look at how loving gigantic that socket is god damnnnnnnn

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Still no news about threadripper prices or clock speeds oh dear

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

Better AMD news, R7 prices are dropped.

1800X: $469
1700X: $349
1700: $319

https://www.techpowerup.com/233966/amd-trims-prices-of-the-ryzen-7-1700-and-1700x

So if they are doing price cuts to the top end of the r7s does that mean threadripper could be coming in at crazy prices vs intels offerings?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the rumors of amd getting crazy high yeilds is true then

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD needs market share just as much as revenue.

Yeah they really need to build market and mind share at this stage given their current HEDT market % is what.....0? also it could very well be true that making the ripper chips is really cheap and they are getting really high yields so even at half the price they are still turning a nice profit while also making people stop and go "gently caress 16 cores for that much I cant say no"

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So is threadripper looking like a late july release?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there someone in thread saying a i3 is better then a 1700x?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't disagree with any of this. But do you think they knew what they were changing for the tapeout in January/February so it could go to the fab in March as a new stepping while Ryzen was launching? Without a brief optimization guide?

Nah.

And that's the only way you get a Q4 2017 Ryzen+. It's really gotta be Q1 2018, possibly Q2 (they'll rush it as much as possible). Which probably means "not threadripper", at least at launch (perhaps an early series upgrade?)

Stop crushing my dreams of threadripper clocking higher then 4ghz you monster

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isnt the rumoured b2 step ment to fix these issues?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus the wait for threadripper is killing me, where are the drat leaks at

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll rip and tear anyone who thinks threadripper isnt loving kicking rad

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey hey get in line buddy we still dont have anything new about threadripper yet

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

surely this workstation product will be incredibly different from the consumer version

wait, sorry, which AMD product were we talking about?

Just suck all the hope out of life why dont you

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not to mention in the last month or so there has been reports that amds yields have been amazing

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would really love to know whats limiting zen re clock speeds, is it the fab process or is it a architecture limit that would take a redesign of some part of zen

Also if the infinity fabric can get faster

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6mndgu/sizing_up_servers_intels_skylakesp_xeon_versus/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

TL;DR AMD's EPYC can struggle with very small database functions compared to Skylake-SP, and lags behind in a few instances while taking the lead in others, costs half as much and runs under it's listed TDP. This test suite was comparing the 7601 from AMD and the 8176 from Intel.

I'm going to go with "it'd be really hard for me to be convinced to buy Intel" for 4200$ Alex.

"The poor showing in the database test is actually due to NUMA latency, because AnandTech conducted this test in a manner that specifically presents the worst possible case for Epyc and is not even remotely representative of an actual database server"

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No as soon as it gets over a few meg it switches back to epycs favor (and what data base these days is only a few meg and can dit into l3 cache?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so when they say turbo to 4ghz would that be XFR? and god drat I want one of them with a good mobo so I can crank all 16 cores to 4ghz :getin:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

Looks like somebody leaked a entry level TR 1900X on reddit.
The pic was deleted but showed 8C/16T across two dies, 180W TDP, quad-channel, 64 PCIe lanes and likely double the L3 cache (32MB). MSRP $50 higher than the 1800X. It'll be interesting to see how the two dies connected by CCX compare to a 1800X.

If such a product exists wouldnt the extra 32mb be more like a l4 then extra l3 given it will be on the other 'die'?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1500x has access to the full 16mb cache despite only having 4 active cores so probably

Yeah but ripper is 4/4+4/4 so would a 8 core ripper be 4/0+4/0 or 4/4+0/0? I kinda want to think the former would be the case so that would give the 4/0 set up 16mb each so it could possibly perform better then a 1800x?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

TR is two dies, so it would be 2+2 on each die.

e:fb

but isnt it 2 CCX per main die? so its 2CCX or 8 cores in a 4/4 split per CCX?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I neeeeed more info about threadripper fuuuuuuuuuck

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isnt the only thing holding ryzen back atm is the higher clock speed advantage intel has? So moving to a production that would match clocks with intel would force intel to price match?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy lol if you buy vega

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo amd

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And dont amd need to build mind share more then anything atm? After 10 years of been lol amd cpu, you need a big hook to make people go gently caress whats this

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

honestly the 8 core TR is the least interesting of the bunch to me. its 8% cheaper than the 7820X that has true quad channel memory and the same number of cores with better IPC and turbo clocks, and 10% more expensive (plus a more expensive motherboard) than the 1800X that will probably match it in performance for everything thats not extremely memory bandwidth hungry and NUMA friendly.

it has a place if you desperately need PCIe lanes, but with crossfire/SLI kinda dying out in games, thats mostly gonna be NVMe raid people, multiple NICs, machine learning, or other very specific niches.

what on earth do you mean by "true quad channel memory"

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Newegg has prices up for Ripper boards, looks like 3200mhz is gonna be the max OC the boards will claim which I'm a little disappointed in

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God i loving hate being in australia. The retailer's here are trying to charge a thousand didgerydoos :australia: for a board that newegg has listed for 550usd

And people wonder why brick and mortar stores here are loving dieing off

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KillaZilla posted:

What board are you looking at? I just saw the absurd price of the Asus Zenith at PCCG and surely they or the distributor have to know people are just going to import them and avoid the $300+ mark up. No doubt the retailers will all be crying to the government again in a few months over how internet shopping is the devil and not their stupid prices.

Yeah im looking at the zenith and yup 750aud delivered from amazon has me flipping the bird at stores here

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It came from reddit: 3277 cinebench
16c at 4ghz and 128gb of ram at 3200mhz

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

Hmm, TR boosts to 4.2 Ghz on four cores. IIRC early 1800X only managed that with very high voltages, so it looks like the process is already improving or they're using the very best dies for it.

where are you getting this from?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

so still just a rumor at this stage bummer

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Amd rep on ocau just confirmed a question i had about XFR on TR

"All 3 Threadripper CPUs will boost to 4.0Ghz on 4 cores and XFR is 4.2Ghz"

Urrgggghhhhh the hype builds

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like someone got a threadripper early and is posting benchmarks

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6sg03p/1950x_geekbench_3_results_41_ghz_all_cores/

Sounds like Threadripper is going to be amazing

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

same, the temptation is strong even though I have no use for more than 6 or maybe 8 physical cores. fortunately for my wallet KVM/AMD is unable to fix that huge GPU passthrough performance issue so I'll probably end up with switching to Coffee Lake, particularly if the ECC support rumours turn out to be true.

also 4.0 Ghz stable at 1.25V is insane

Well there is a 8c x399 ment to be out at the end of the month so

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
23:00AEST is what I've heard as far as when the nda lifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah im really torn now as if the 1900x or what ever they call it is just like a 1800x but with more pcie lanes etc i would buy that

But if its a 4c/4c split over the interdie then rip so much for a threadripper build that would set me up to transition to zen2 later on