Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Its at the point where liquid metal makes sense to start using, even more so with zen and the chiplets having such a small surface area to move heat through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

overclocking my 5600x with PBO+ 200mhz offset to 4.8ghz with curve optimizer to undervolt the worst cores has me sitting pretty cool at around 79-81c at max AVX2 extreme testing with air-cooling (FUMA2).c urrently sitting around 4700/630 CB20 scores which is good and good enough tempwise. granted that's 1 CCX as opposed to 2 and there's a reason the 5600x has been outperforming 5800/5900/5950 in gaming benchmarks because thermals are less favorable there and just extra heat generation without much being used up in multi-threading (which games suck at using). i think a problem with liquid metal paste is that i,t'll etch off the engraving for warranty but if you don't care, go for it.

from what I understand of people who're using liquid cooling, they get about the same temps as I do with air-cooling. i think something about the chips is just generating a high heatspot that no matter the cooling system won't really wick away and there's only so fast it can transfer heat out which is why no matter what's being used seems people are hitting around ~80c under max load.

Well its more the fact that the 5600x/5800x are a single CCX so your not suffering the IF latency penalties that the 5950x/5900x will have by juggling workloads between the CCX's

Also who bought me this custom text, show yourself coward thats hilarious

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

I gave up trying to get a 5xxx series chip and got a 3900xt when seeing their price start going up and R9 stock in general decline. Thinking I'd be getting a 5800x or 5900x I got DDR4-4000. I'm not finding a bios setting that'll work with that, so I set it 3600 (but haven't fine tuned its timings yet). I'm not worried about OC'ing it at the moment, so is there anything else I should set to help the chip be happy other than the RAM and infinity fabric to match it? Using an ASUS TUF x570-plus and Noctua NH-D15.

Most guides I'm finding address OC'ing which I don't necessarily need, just safe performance like maybe undervolting or something? Looks like it does boost already to around 4.7ghz from a few tests I've done. Coming from a 10 yr old i7 3930k it's been great so far!

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md

Have a read through this to get the most out out of your ram

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I'm running 4x8GB OLOy WarHawk CL18 DRAM @ 3600mhz

Found your problem for no real performance increase right there, have you tuned the memory at all or just set XMP? whats your AIDA64 latency showing? what does Zentimings say for your ram specs and your MCLK:FCLK:UCLK?