Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm a little confused for some reason; I'm planning on building a Ryzen computer within the next week and just wanna make sure a Ryzen revision isn't due within the next month or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cygni posted:

Looks like Pinnacle Ridge will have retail availability on April 19th.

Will it actually be available for purchase? Or will stock levels be crazy low for a bit?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

pixaal posted:

I get the messed up cursor occasionally, it's happened in both 7 and 10 over several motherboards and graphics cards (all happen to have been AMD because I didn't like how Nvid handled 3+ monitors). It only happens when there are multiple monitors and only happens on the primary monitor. The mouse cursor ends up looking like a stack of lines and is really odd looking.

I assume it's the same issue, I get it every few months it's rare and a reboot seems to fix it. It also seems to happen more often when it's hot in the room. I'll try and get an image of it next time it happens.

Holy poo poo, so that's what it is. I've wondered why this happens sometimes on my PC.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I currently have a 2600x, 16GBRam, an 8GB RX580, running on a B350 board (lol shut up, I know the B350 sucks).

I live about 45 minutes away from a Microcenter, and I'm thinking I'll pick up that weirdo new 5600x3D and then start looking at video cards to push my complete rebuild as far out as possible. Something along the lines of a 7600 for 4060.

I assume that's sensible and not a complete waste of money, right? I game at 1440p.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yup, my B350 will support the new CPU, already checked that.

Tbh, I was just using those two video cards as an example of the pricepoint/performance I'm going for. I'm not nearly as well versed in video card knowledge as I used to be, so I have a lot of research to do in that department.

Thanks everyone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
5600X3D Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NW8TU80fP4

Seems like this cemented my upgrade path for now. I'll probably wait until after Prime Day to see if there are any deals there, then scoop this up.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 6, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Assuming you mean you're going for the 5600x3d - they are only available in very limited numbers at Microcenter - so unless you're hoping that they will both be still available and be on sale at that point at Microcenter - you won't have any luck. AFAIK microcenter doesn't do stuff coincident with Prime Day, and I'd be surprised if this cpu ever goes on sale tbh.

I meant wait for prime day to see if another cpu's price drops enough, and if not go get a 5600x3D from microcenter. I live about 45 minutes away from one, and in the video it says microcenter thinks they have enough stock for 3-6 months.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What is an OK temp for a 5600X3D if I run something like Prime95 for 5-10 minutes? Just want to see if the cooler I have is sufficient, or if I need a better one. I would be using the temps reported in HWMonitor to verify.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wibla posted:

And a lot of people with early Zen CPUs just bought a 5800x3D instead of doing a full upgrade.

This is almost exactly what I did (5600X3D instead) and I really can't see myself upgrading for another 3-5 years.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kliras posted:

we love to see it

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1737817798603153408

probably still a good idea to hold off on gen1 am5 boards if you can wait though

Cool, feeling even better about just upgrading my 2600x>5600X3D during the summer.

See you in 2025!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CodFishBalls posted:

The AM4 production will continue until everyone owns an AM4 system.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only AM4.

I think I’m ok with this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I upgraded to a 5600X3D this past summer (the microcenter exclusive one with 6 cores) and the leap from my 2700x to this is insane.

Really don't forsee having to upgrade again for another 3 years at this rate, and by then it'll obviously be whole different mobo/socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lorentz Factor posted:

Totally feel you on the 5600X3D upgrade. Everything runs so much smoother and faster, especially for gaming or when you're juggling a bunch of tasks. It's like getting a brand-new PC without actually getting one, lol.

I popped in a 1TB NVMe SSD recently, and wow, does it make a difference. We're talking about your PC waking up in a snap and games loading before you can even blink. Pairing this with the 5600X3D, my computer is on fire.

I’m still rocking a SATA SSD :v: idk, I’ve looked at benchmarks for game loading between SATA SSD & NVMe and most of them only shave off a second or two? Meh