Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Nah, it was really a bad bet on what would be the smart way to handle multiple cores. Microsoft got it right by going with symmetric core design.

It continued the fine hardware tradition of "well the software guys can just write code for this right?" and the fine software tradition of "well the compilers will get better, right" and then the fine compiler author tradition of laughing uproariously, some grad students suffering through creating some new compiler techniques that remain untouched / unread for about 5 years.

e: Actually I could add in the extra steps of the silicon / architecture guys being "this will fit on the die, right" and "you can remove the heat from the chip, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My last AMD was an X2 ages ago for a low-power build. I think I want a 3900X to toss together a build-server / Linux workhorse at the office now. 12C/24T for $500 is loving nuts.

Asus put up a nice article detailing the differences between all their families of motherboards which I appreciated. Looks like they are planning a workstation board on X570 which is awesome. If it comes with a lovely little on-board GPU that would be the tits.

I feel dirty cheating after 20 years of running Intel hardware but can't justify the $$$ for performance here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

apropos man posted:

What are the use cases for a system like that? Joke responses are also welcome.

Weather is big, CFD, and in the case of US national labs, nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship as we can’t actually blow up real nukes anymore so we have to use modeling to see if they will go boom when we want them too and not degrade unsafely.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah its important to note that it's probably going to take a little while for this all to actually shake out. Remember the hell that was early Skylake-S days when Intel made massive changes to their scheduler? Some of this stuff comes down to optimization in the wild.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying a new Ryzen rig next week still, though.

I’m keeping an eye out for kernel patches for Zen 2 (if they haven’t been pushed already) because I’m building a build server / dev box at work with a 3900X. Stocked up on every part now I think except mobo, CPU and case. Not a chance the stock CentOS 7 kernel will be optimized out of the box.

DDR4 is so goddamned cheap, it’s ridiculous. I picked up some DDR4-3600 sticks for now.

The last AMD rig I built was 10 years ago; how are the stock coolers or should I just get another Thermalright Ultra120 with stupid expensive adapter brackets, or a Hyper212 EVO? Planning on little to mild overclocking.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I a weirdo for not being phased by these prices for mobos and CPUs at all? Granted I had no idea Sandy Bridge was going to last me 10+ years, but this box (which admittedly is for work) I expect to have long long legs for compiling / FPGA builds / general headless crunching.

I’m also hoping the WS X570-ACE isn’t super popular so I can snag one. When did mobo makers actually start advertising specific PMICs? I twitched a little when they advertised IR3555s.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone preordered / queued up at B&H?

Newegg has the Asus WS X570 In stock so I snagged that at least.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have no clue about x570 boards, how did you decide on that one?

I haven’t touched anything outside Asus for 10+ years, my current board is a P8P67 PRO that I’ve been very happy with.

I went with the WS because it’s one of the least obnoxious models (Prime isn’t too bad, the Asus article explaining all their models was a good read), ECC is a nice to have in the future and the basic out-of-band from the Realtek NIC is good to have as well as I’m throwing together this box to be a work mule in an engineering lab. I wish it had more PCIe slots for various I/O adapters and FPGA dev boards but I’ll probably be able to live with it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lambert posted:

This isn't about an unfinished BIOS, it's just one of the usual tricks mainboard manufacturers use to make their high-end boards seem better. AMD would have to throw all manufacturers under the bus for this.

Yeah this is usual ads-on crap; I’ve always first thing gone in and clicked every single “optimization” off (on Asus boards, that’s also the physical off switches for EPUs and TPUs), and most things that claim to be “automatic”. I nudge up DRAM voltage very slightly when using 4 sticks (think like 25mV-50mV or so on DDR3) and leave most besides the CPU and PLL voltages alone.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I can’t find any of the Ryzens on Amazon FWIW, maybe the mobile app doesn’t show it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So on the Linux side of things...CentOS 7/7.5 a horrible idea on a 3900X? Looks like there's that systemd and/or RdRand thing, but as far as I can tell BIOS / uCode updates have triaged that problem for now.

More concerned about kernel 3.10 and a brand new uArch, and don't want to really recompile and run my own. Also kind of considering actual RHEL 8 since CentOS 8 isn't out yet and this is a work expense.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's some errata fixes for Zen2 in the latest kernel patch that came out this week, that should hopefully address the most egregious stuff for the moment. But I would go RHEL 8 if I had the choice.

Like mainline mainline kernel, or actually for CentOS 7.x series right now?

Never setup RHEL before but would definitely give it a try.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

3.10 kernel in 7.6 in RHEL, I assume its available on CentOS at this point since its been a few days.

Awesome — I tried poking around the CentOS mailing lists, do you have a link to that patch / the mailing list it would be on per chance?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kernel 3.10.0-957.27.2 is the one with some zen2 fixes in it bundled in with CVE stuff. It's all errata fixes so don't expect any documentation for it. Have a support case open with right now dealing with some zen stuff which is how I found out

Ahh, got it — thanks for the inside scoop! Excited to see how fast Buildroot turns around Linux builds and Vivado builds FPGA bitstreams with 24 threads.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

Could I get a gigabit connection and become a video game server host or something

Google: someone employ this man at Stadia, stat

movax
Aug 30, 2008

As one of my profs used to say, there isn’t analog and digital, there’s just analog and really really fast analog. The design of high-performance caches and other SRAMs are fascinating.

I wonder if anyone was foreseeing the tight integration of power management and basically playing the game around a control loop to keep voltage above BOR levels as a significant area of investment.

movax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 27, 2019

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant the electrical and signalling bullshit involved in implementing SRAM caches.

Yeah, this is what I was primarily talking about but the post about temporal and spatial locality being fundamental to a cache doing its job is certainly correct.

There are increasing amounts of EDAC (error detection and correction) being found in caches how as transistors shrink; ECC on L2 caches have been offered a la carte to silicon integrators from IP vendors for some time now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

I mean a 2080ti right now is fine on 8 lanes of pcie3, let alone 16. I don't see pcie4 being useful for gpus for awhile. Better use case is like 10/100gig ethernet or feeding nvme drives with fewer lanes so you can provide more connectivity from the chipset, or maybe some future thunderbolt spec.

*yes I know those recently released amd 5500s are showing bottlenecks on pcie3 x8 probably because amd hosed something up but they're garbage value cards and nobody should be buying them anyways.

I think it’s more appealing for the first reasons there, using fewer lanes / physical I/O where possible. I always liked doing bandwidth bridging in designs with PCIe Gen 2 or 3 feeding into a switch that would fan out to slower devices that didn’t need all the bandwidth. Getting 10 GbE in x1 would be great for density.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I forget which site it was, but they did a giant comparison of pastes / TIMs and included toothpaste and chocolate, among a few others.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So does Intel just pay off the OEMs again this time to cockblock AMD, or ... ?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ok, I’m going crazy, what the gently caress am I doing wrong where all my Boot Options disappear on an ASUS TRX40? All the devices are there (2x NVMe drives), but the BIOS just lists zero options for booting. I think it’s from me flipping the CSM on/off, but never seen this before.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

Did you also turn on secure boot or something?

If the only drives you have in the system are NVMe then windows must have been installed in EFI mode. But if you also have a sata drive it's possible that you were in legacy this whole time.

Don’t think so. BIOS says Secure Boot disabled, set to “Other OS”. Only have two NVMe drives, and I’m installing RHEL 8.

With the CSM off, my USB drive doesn’t even appear as an installation option for RHEL 8. There’s no way the TRX40 in TYOOL 2020 needs the CSM to boot via NVMe, does it? Flipping it back on and clearing RTC brought back the options.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Never mind, it’s me, I can’t read / didn’t read the BIOS warning. Disabled CSM, told it I was installing Windows, rebooted and launched RHEL setup in UEFI mode and I think it’s good now.

I left BIOS development right when UEFI was becoming a thing / Secure Boot was starting to rear its head...failure to RTFM.

E: nope, never mind, installed off UEFI mode but still no joy being able to boot NVMe.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

orcane posted:

60°C for heat transfer through plastic is pretty good? :v:

Don’t forget mayonnaise and toothpaste...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

Fractal Design Define Mini C which has excellent air flow. It's not really low profile; I just have only 400mm of clearance under my desk to place the case so ATX cases don't work.

This makes me very curious to see a picture of your desk setup... do you have like a standing desk with an under-slung case mount?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

Nope! Just a shelf above my case.

That explains it!

I've used the Mini C for workstations at the office supporting engineering testbeds — just cheap, clean and very simple cases with thoughtful design features. I love Fractal.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

Considering the curve that VR brings I'd hope y'all aren't too broken up about running rigs for...10? years without an upgrade. When has that ever happened like, ever in computing?

Not for awhile. Building the 3960X Threadripper rig for myself at work has finally shown me how long in the tooth my 2600K has gotten especially considering my hideous levels of multi-tasking / open browser tabs. Granted some of my issues are likely stemming from a broken Win10 install, but starting to think about upgrading at home.

The Intel fanboy in me is still willing to hold out for their (perhaps) return to the top of the crown, but I think I'm doing a HEDT rig next.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

karoshi posted:

There was a 'github leak' where some intern doing testing of (possibly) ps5, xBoneSx and navi10 IP made the repository public. But it was just test results. It leaked some clocks and CU counts, but that's surely not the loving source code to the GPUs.

I mean, if testbenches or similar verification stuff leaked, that would certainly not be ideal but holy poo poo if they are (really, any company with IP) using loving GitHub to store their poo poo, even on their enterprise plans. Semiconductor IP is valuable and I've heard stories of the security measures guarding their GDS-II / mask sets when it gets to that point. Literally the sauce.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So... I'm still confused as to what actually got "leaked". Is it actual Verilog/VHDL/RTL for their GPUs, by way of OVM/UVM testbenches?

Or a bunch of code that reveals the innards of their drivers and therefore probably internals (register maps/command interfaces/etc.) to the GPU?

This isn't AMD, but here is a fascinating read / description of NVIDIA's Falcon: http://download.nvidia.com/open-gpu-doc/Falcon-Security/1/Falcon-Security.html

And slides that detail more of it: https://riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Tue1345pm-NVIDIA-Sijstermans.pdf

If it shows details of how AMD's equivalent of the deeply embedded controllers work, that could be a bad thing(TM).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

We really just need more pcie add in boards that let us put 4 or 8 m2 drives in one 4x or 8x slot.

Daddy needs him some nvme software raid. Like 10 tb of software raid.

Agreed — all it takes a PCIe switch!

Also — obviously the forums are on fire to some degree, if you want to post about it, check this out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Now we just need the PEX8896 (or w/e they call it) 96 lane PCIe 4.0 switch to bandwidth bridge to PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives because that's still going to be so loving fast.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's basically an overclockable (presumably?) Epyc. This is the fully enabled part, runs UDIMM/RDIMM/LRDIMM, unlocked memory controller clocks, 128 PCIe lanes, 8 memory channels, the full shebang. Single socket only but who cares.

I'm sure the price is going to be eyewatering but

nice.

I feel dirty saying it but since I basically amortized the cost of my 2600K over ten years...well I'm ready to jump ship after getting a taste of 3960X at work. I just hope everything will fit into my Meshify C. Fuckload of money but if paradigms continue... should just be a GPU upgrade every 3 years still.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

Except your server goes down every time you system update, or game instability crashes your server, or games interfere with your transcoder, or if you want your PC to be quiet, but it had tons of spinning rust.

I wanted to toss everything into one UBER BOX (not quite gaming + serving, but more like network stuff), but decided against it because I didn't want my network to go down for exactly those reasons.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The important thing before you buy is to read the fine print on the board specs, because there is no hard and fast rule for "Use X slot, Y is disabled" across board makers. They all juggle it differently, unless its X570 in which case go hog wild.

Assuming the manuals aren’t complete poo poo, the block diagram in there is the best way to check, followed by having to actually read the manual to confirm.

Don’t trust the website specs if you want to be 100% sure, especially with mobos with a ton of SKUs — marketing people probably copy pasted and may have missed something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god lmao

I feel like I’m reading a post from an audiophile forum...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Ha, Arctic Silver? Good luck with your CPU cooler creating micro cavities in the thermal compound in the 285kHz range. You're really limiting your 0.001% lows.

If you want to dampen the impacts of that without having to remount your cooler, you could hang these satchels filled with a specially compounded silicate that's designed for that very range.

Normally I'd recommend checking out brazing your CPU cooler directly to your lid, but it obviously seems like you're not ready for that kind of commitment to computing if you're already using cheapout shortcuts like thermal paste.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, but you'd obviously benefit from lurking more because this is really basic stuff and I'm embarrassed for you.

Brb, inventing computophile grade motherboard standoffs to isolate harmful mains noise from the motherboard and brighten the bits whilst removing jitter and noise from RAM slots, therefor solving RAM compatibility’s problems.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

From Hot Chips, AnandTech covering some of the APU stuff coming out in more detail now. X-post GPU thread for obvious reasons.

Interesting situation with the new consoles being more or less contemporaneous with the state-of-the-art for PC gaming — Zen2 cores, plus fixed-function accelerators for audio, storage and other functions. Wondering how games will map to PC levels of performance offered; would a current-gen Threadripper with its extra cores make up for the HW accelerated audio processing and storage decompression?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm curious, what multiple game scenarios are these? Some MMO type stuff?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1298433876058988544

This isn't specifically AMD news, but given TSMC are confident enough to take orders for 2nm, it points to what we can expect in a few years. Plus there's only one smaller number after 2nm, then that's it, we'll have the densest chips possible.

I regret not buying into more TSMC when it was down in the $30s.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cygni posted:

Nobody knows for sure, but AMDs CEO has confirmed the desktop parts will launch before the end of the year. Probably a good bet that they launch after the server versions, and probably a good bet the server versions launch in September so... soon™?

I'm still stupidly holding out hope for Zen 3 Threadrippers this year, but realistically it's got to be Q1/Q2 next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Should it be something to worry about if I'm trying to "future proof" a PC build for next-gen a year from now?

Some things might load a few seconds slower / you might miss out on some Konami Kojima gimmick.

This is just “weird” because this generation, consoles are contemporaneous with PCs (CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, all are not only the same as PCs, but they’re even likely the same exact IP blocks) and have the advantage of some custom hardware.

I think the optimized NVMe thing is actually pretty cool, and an interesting solution to their constraints. PCs can spend more $$$ / thermal budget / whatever to achieve similar goals.