Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Is there really much to the argument in the OP that gaming performance is expected to improve because the consoles are operating on 8 threads? That's a point I literally bought into with bulldozer, which was a poor gamble vs just buying whatever the Intel equivalent was and overclocking the hell out of it. There doesn't seem to be an incentive for developers to optimize for any more than a maximum of 8 threads when that's all the consoles have had for a hot minute and will continue to have until at least the next console gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Klyith posted:

Well, bulldozer did improve over time. Just not enough to make up for it's awful handicap at the start. At least when compared to bulldozer, you can look at ryzen and say it's not a ton of performance difference in average real-world gameplay.

Definitely when looking at the R5s and comparing to a 4c/4t 7600K at about the same price, it seems like there should be something to be gained. It's not a slam dunk though, so if all you care about is games you should weigh the current performance vs potential gain vs intangibles like mobo quality and watts consumed (intel advantage) or total system cost (amd advantage).

I have seen that bulldozer aged well, even if it didn't start out good enough to make it worth waiting around. I am within the ideal use case for Ryzen as I have multithreaded workloads and play games socially, but am weighing my options towards building a dedicated, small form factor gaming machine instead since I still carry my stuff around for lan parties. There are no mITX boards available, and my local Micro Center aren't offering many Ryzens with mATX boards, so I'm going to continue to observe where this all goes for a while longer, especially if the Ryzen-based APUs allow for good enough gaming performance that I can keep in an enclosure small enough to fit in a bag.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

The feature sets of the X370 and B350 boards are identical and they clearly used the same image for both, just altering their photoshop box mockups. What is the point?

Does not inspire confidence in Biostar, not that I had much (read: any) to begin with. I'll continue waiting for ASUS to produce a board.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Raven Ridge is no good to me without some goddamn mITX boards

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Hell, R7s are great workstations too.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Whether or not you can reasonably get to 4ghz seems to be a bit of a lottery, although I assume a 1700x would have better odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

pixaal posted:

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech? Well print more of the older stuff. I'd think Intel would want to prioritize CPUs. Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?

"Intel Tock-Ticks Chipsets Back to 22nm"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-14nm-shortage-h310c,37819.html