Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NewFatMike posted:

Holy poo poo the AMD Intel mobile chip collaboration is real:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-gpu-emib-soc,35852.html

Vega mobile MCM on Coffee Lake mobile CPUs with HBM2.

C'mon sweet sweet professional laptops with 3D capabilities.

Coffee lake means soon, right? Like 1H 2018?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cygni posted:

I was thinkin more like 6 cores all the way to the entry level for the current prices. Like a 6/12 in the sub-$150 price range would be really cool/disruptive. Im just pulling stuff outta my bhole though.

Another retailer leaked today (this time in Japan) that Ryzen 2xxx series aka Ryzen+ is coming in March, so the date seems pretty likely.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60389/amds-next-gen-ryzen-2-processors-reportedly-launch-march/index.html

Here's 6/12 for $190, would getting it down to $150 be that big a deal? http://www.microcenter.com/product/478826/ryzen_5_1600_32ghz_6_core_am4_boxed_processor_with_wraith_spire_cooler

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cygni posted:

Most people don't have access to the lovely prices of Microcenter. But I was thinkin like the $109 original launch price of the R3 1200. High thread count stuff that low in the stack would, provided it was fast enough, likely force Intel to respond. In the long run, that would mean more people getting higher thread CPUs faster, which would hopefully encourage more games and applications to take advantage of that glut of power.

I'm skeptical that price differences among sub-$200 CPUs really matter, especially in the desktop space. The rest of the computer, especially RAM, is really drat expensive too. I'm all for more power to more people, but the CPU doesn't really dictate the price of the whole machine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The processors in question were Athlons and Semprons. Not sure why the Verge felt the need to omit that...

Marketing names aren't really meaningful, which generations of Athlons and Semprons? Recent ones, or do you mean an Athlon 64 from 2004?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

redeyes posted:

Thats a hell of a thing. Thanks for the heads up though. I feel like some of this happened with the RX480 vs like 1060 when those cards came out. Mostly because I own both and the 480 is almost 2x faster in some games.

Turn on your monitor.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

There's an unforgivable number of typos and errors, but here's AnandTech on the 2400G:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review

Anandtech's quality has taken a dive, unfortunately. More than that, they focused on the 2400G instead of the much more interesting 2200G, which looks like an unbelievable value.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

redeyes posted:

Im sure no one cares at this point but i got the opportunity to test a RX580 vs a GTX 1070 founders edition. The 1070 is so much faster its insane, not to mention quieter, cooler running, AND a lot less buggy.

AMD gfx are dead to me.

Isn't the 580 positioned against the 1060?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spasticColon posted:

But discreet GPUs would still be a lot better for buttcoin mining. 704 SPs at 1250MHz on slower DDR4 RAM ain't going to mine a bunch of buttcoins like a dedicated video card would.

You need a CPU in your mining rig anyway, might as well have it do some work. Also, a GTX 1060 or RX 580 were $500 GPUs at the worst of this, so the price / perf of these iGPUs actually isn't bad.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

CPU or APU mining doesn't make sense in terms of profit-per-watt, and power limits are usually the actual limitation for most miners (or at least those without 100A 240V service).

edit: and I never saw 1060s for $500... $350-400 at most. Which is absurd enough, but $500+ is really more like 1070 territory.

A friend of mine is elbow deep in the poop, and because of GPU prices going up he's switched to buying quad-socket AMD Opteron 6380 servers. He's got 10 of them so far at I believe an average price a bit under $800 each. You mine the coins like Monero or Verium that aren't easy to GPU mine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

People do it, especially given how bare the GPU market is at the moment, but it's still a stupid idea. Take a 1920X, you get half the Cryptonight hashrate of a Vega 56 for the same power, at roughly the same price (current market price).

If you can find some older hardware with tons of L3$ very cheaply it's not a terrible idea, any more than it's a terrible idea to pick up GCN 1.0 hardware if you can find that cheaply. Cheap hardware is cheap hardware. But most people are more constrained by their wiring than anything, and half the hashrate at the same power = half the power efficiency. If you are really going elbow-deep in the poop you need to think about efficiency because you can only run so much hardware on your standard 15A-peak/12A-continuous household circuit, and that's going to become your bottleneck. 120V really cannot carry all that much power.

Unless you have spare 240V circuits, of course. Those can carry a lot more power, but still, only a couple of rigs per circuit. Or if you go ahead and rent out a commercial space with commercial electricity - which is probably a smart idea if you don't want heatstroke.

The math for scaling out your mining op beyond a handful of rigs favors running Celerons and putting the money into an extra GPU or two instead of a super-powerful processor, both in a profit-per-dollar and a profit-per-watt sense. I really doubt you would see many professional mining ops with Ryzens, Threadrippers, or Opterons.

I talked to the guy about it, and he's got 2 30A 240V circuits going to where the rack is, and one power rail of the rack plugged into each circuit. It looks like those Opteron 6380s hash at about the same rate as an R7-1700 or 1700X, so $200 per socket all-in including CPUs, power supplies, RAM, cases, etc sounds like a decent deal. It also looks like cryptocurrency mining is best case workload for CMT.

Now, he's still hosed if prices go any lower, but buying used hardware seems like a saner way to do this.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 14, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Some specifics on the 2000 desktop processors:

Looking pretty good imo. The 2700X has a 105W TDP over the 95W TDP of the 1800X. Getting a cooler with every SKU instead of the non-X models is pretty great.

The article specifically mentions that these are backwards compatible with X370 boards, I hope my B350 board keeps support. That's one of the reasons why I got it.

Remind me, Ryzen IPC is roughly equivalent to Haswell right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

2700X looks like a compelling buy worth picking over the 8700K. The 2600/2600X don't look worthwhile over the i5-8400, unless I'm missing something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wargames posted:

EPYC can do 4 way smt right?

Nope, not yet at least.

Some of the new ARM architectures (Cavium ThunderX 2) have 4-way SMT currently.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...which really doesn't apply to this generation, as we have the Pro/One X for those who want something better in the console space, now. Sony specifically mentioned the Pro was designed to combat drift to the PC during the latter years of a console's lifespan.

PCs were also rapidly improving at the time, and relatively affordable. Late in the 360/PS3 generation had incredibly powerful, nice desktops that could be built for ~$600 or $500.

Because of the GPU price increase, GPUs still cost more than they did 2 years ago for the same performance, and even then that generation wasn't a huge improvement over the one before it. RAM is expensive as heck too, costs more per GB than 2009, almost a decade ago!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

The cost of 4x4gb DDR3 in 2011 when I built my computer is about the same price for DDR4 today. I remember decent 2x8GB packs being ~200 USD.

I bought DDR2 for less than $10/GB in 2009, I could have bought DDR3 but I was out to save those bucks and the Phenom 965 I won for free at Quakecon could do DDR2 or DDR3, and had crippling widely known bugs using 4 sticks of DDR3.

Edit: It wasn't "good" RAM, but 4x2GB DDR2-800. Either way it's insane that end consumer prices for DRAM are about the same as they were 6+ years ago.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 24, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I'm hoping this means there will be a 8C/16T "3600X" for ~$250. :pray:

One can dream, but my guess would be that price points per core will not move and that the 12C / 16C parts will be more expensive than current 2700X parts were at launch. Still better performance per dollar because of higher clocks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I asked in the NAS thread but didn't get a clear answer: The Opteron X3421 is 2 excavator modules on 28nm at a 35W TDP, right? I'm assuming that its power efficiency is far worse than basically any Zen or Intel from the last 5 years?

Specifically, I'm wondering how it compares to a dual core hyperthreaded Pentium. It's really hard to find any info about it at all, and because Passmark absolutely loves bulldozer and its descendants I can't even figure out if it's closer to Atoms or Core / Zen.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 14, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Zen 2 better be worth the wait. :colbert:

But if my 2500k rig dies before Zen 2 launches then it's a cheap 2600X and B450 board for me. I do wonder how many people are holding on with their older-than-dirt Sandy Bridge rigs until Zen 2 becomes available.

I'm living the Sandy Bridge life too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

I think the rumor is 4-way SMT will be the big feature for Zen 3/EPYC 3. I doubt we will get it on the mainstream/consumer platforms since > 2-way SMT has a much smaller benefit when you're not a server dealing with tons of threads in an I/O- or memory-bound situation. I wonder if they're waiting for this to drop before updating Threadripper so they can use it to create additional market segmentation between the EPYC and TR lines. Or, OTOH, I could totally see AMD do 4-way SMT across their entire product stack just as a big middle finger to Intel.

As you mentioned, 4-way SMT is unlikely to help client workloads, so I don't really get the point. There's also a risk of it outright hurting games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I hold by my bet that this refresh won't bring us more cores per dollar, and the 12 and 16 core ones will be $400 and $500 parts while the 4-8 core parts hold the same price point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lambert posted:

Did they? Pretty sure most broadcast TV isn't in 4k, or even 1080p (1080i used to be very common, probably still is).

ATSC 3.0 is coming, but I haven't seen any tuners yet in the US.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

mouse? people use mouse? :confused:

I've enjoyed using a mouse in the UEFI since my 2011 Sandy Bridge system, why not? I can't remember if my Phenom POS before that had it, but I think it did.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Those are 5W or less parts, laptop CPUs will always be able to do more with 15W or whatever parts are typically in bigger laptops.

I wonder what clocks the A12X is capable of if you shove 15W through them, and have the active cooling to sustain it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Oh okay. I'm probably still going to get a 3700X for gaming but I'm going to wait for benchmarks. But If the 3700X isn't any faster than the 3600X in gaming benchmarks I might just get a 3600X. I don't do streaming so do I need those extra cores/threads? Or is Cyberpunk 2077 going to need a 8C/16T chip to run it at 60fps?

If you're budget sensitive then the 3600X is likely to be the sweet spot, and spend the money that you saved on more GPU. This applies double if you're intending to play at 4K or anything higher than 1440p.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

The next gen consoles are going to be 8C/16T Zen2 parts so your build will be below the baseline in a year-ish if you go 6C/12T.

Consoles are also likely to be at a lower TDP and not top bins. If they ship consoles with something identical to a 3700X or higher I’d be pretty surprised.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What is the situation like for 1U boards and coolers for Ryzen? 12C parts so cheap will turn the 1U short depth market on its head. Remote management could include a GPU suitable for installing OS and booting.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The only reason I'd buy a 3800x is if it can overclock better, if it doesn't then I just cant justify the price increase

Friends don't let friends buy 3800x. If you want some room to overclock, get a drat 3900x and put a huge cooler on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why 3600C16+, when 3200C14 will do fine according to that slide?

I'm assuming this is about more bandwidth, and recent pricing meaning that you don't start paying a huge price premium until 3733 or higher.

This is so many cores to keep fed. Go back a couple years and you've got quad channel RAM on 8C parts, and now dual channel has to keep up with 16C.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only titles that really really have problems with 4C4T are Ubisoft garbage with tons of DRM (FC5/AC:O) and BF:V (which just has optimization problems in general, it's lost 30%+ performance since launch). These titles are literally just optimization problems, the Ubi stuff runs fine on a 1.6 GHz laptop processor in the consoles and BF:V lost its head engine guy a month before launch and haven't been able to replace him.

While DX12 titles are starting to favor Ryzen more, if they do things right the 4/4 processors are not terrible in these games either. DX12 is a general gain in CPU performance, it's not some curse that affects low-core-count processors. 4/4 should still push 90fps+ average / 60fps lows in those titles, that's still a perfectly fine gaming experience.

But really the 3600 is going to be the default recommendation for the price bracket for a while, unless Intel drops something really compelling. No sense paying $150 for 4/4 when you could pay $200 and get 6/12. But the death of 4/4 is a bit overstated too, people who built a 4/4 system in 2016 or whatever have gotten 3 years out of their system and can probably stretch it a little farther if money doesn't allow an upgrade.

People aren't paying $150 for 4/4 though, the i5-9400F is 6/6 and a $150 part, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Stickman posted:

Aren't the rumblings more that Zen 2 remains stable at much higher power draw than Zen+? So they'll probably have identical cooling profiles at stock, but Zen 2 can take advantage of additional power/cooling beyond Zen+?

I'd be surprised if existing cheaper motherboards could keep up well with the power draw of 12C / 16C parts overclocked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ItBurns posted:

What's the timing for Zen2 reviews? I assume there is some kind of embargo.

You're likely best off waiting for actual release date so that reputable reviewers can buy them through retail channels.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

720 vertical lines is also relevant as being 50% resolution scaling on a 1440 high monitor. All of you big-GPU havers may not need to reach for the resolution scaling, but I sure do.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Well yeah, heat soak in the liquid is absolutely a thing, but even the relatively unscientific benchmarkers know about that by now and let the water temperature stabilize before they take measurements.

Heatpipe based coolers also have limitations of course. They tend to have a hard limit on how much heat they can handle, because at some point you'll be boiling the liquid in the heatpipes faster than it can condense and trickle back down, and once that happens the cooler basically stops working all of a sudden. For a huge 6-pipe thing like the NH-D15/D14 though that limit is somewhere north of 300W and you're not going to hit it in practice.

It depends if the Ryzen-based 16C can get anywhere near current Threadripper power draw when you start overclocking them, Threadripper's already up to 250W TDP so 300W isn't exactly far.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Isn't The Division 2 one of the games where profiling revealed that the CPU was spending 80% of its time checking that you were legitimate via DRM, and 20% actually running the game?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

You guys are looking at this the wrong way: higher temperatures mean that heat has an easier time moving from hot to cold. Why yes I had an R9 290, why do you ask?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I would not consider keeping 1U or 2U servers in a home at all, you guys are crazy. Just put desktops on a shelf and enjoy cheap quiet effective cooling.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

redeyes posted:

It totally kills me how much more L3 cache AMDs have compared to Intel. 64MB on the 3900x.. wow.

Isn't this not directly comparable because AMDs L3 is subdivided, with cores having unequal access? Or is that just for the Rome dies?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

movax posted:

I forget which site it was, but they did a giant comparison of pastes / TIMs and included toothpaste and chocolate, among a few others.

Much more recently: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-mayonnaise-last-as-a-thermal-compound/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

pixaal posted:

any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

My wife's research lab had a similar experience and they ended up ordering a couple of Intel big boxes. List price was the best price possible for AMD stuff, but Intel stuff was discounted so deeply that core for core, clock for clock it was the same price as Epyc. At that point, you go Intel.

Edit: If you guys are at HP shops, I'm curious what pricing CDW is giving you. I've seen advertised prices under $2k for 7402P / 64GB DL325s: https://www.cdw.com/product/hpe-proliant-dl325-gen10-rack-mountable-epyc-7402p-2.8-ghz-64-gb/5736036

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I haven't seen desktops in an office other than for specialty stuff since several jobs ago. And that specialty stuff is usually a multi thousand dollar workstation as mentioned.