Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

The AMD Zen2 Mobile embargo is going to lift in a few hours and some of the laptop makers are already posting stuff. Looks like those of you looking for premium AMD laptop designs are going to get their wish.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15282/ces-2020-lenovo-yoga-slim-7-with-amd-4000-apu-inside-coming-march

Release date for the CPUs appears to be March.

14 hours with a 61Wh battery could be a pretty big deal, though we'll have to wait and see.

The CES Keynote livestream will be broadcast here shortly:

https://youtu.be/zUeo7kUzn_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm more excited for the lower end parts because they'll likely be dirt cheap while still offering decent performance. I personally don't need one of these but AMD devices selling for 30-40% less than the Intel equivalent is going to raise some eyebrows. The Lenovo E495 was on sale for ~400€ during black friday.

eames
May 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

AMD has been getting pretty close to their PR numbers in recent history iirc

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-4700u-8-core-renoir-mobile-cpu-spotted

Scroll down to see some direct comparisons to Intel parts, the all the names/threadcounts/clockspeeds match so it looks like the leak was real.

eames
May 9, 2009

No word on that 4900H that was leaked via an Asus slide by a Youtuber earlier today. Either they changed the naming or its a higher TDP part (~65W?) that they don't want that associated with this keynote.

eames
May 9, 2009

Lungboy posted:

$279 for the 5600xt could be good if the specs turn into decent performance.

FWIW the author of tomshw.de is usually pretty well informed thinks that AMD will only allow $279 cards to be reviewed on launch date and fancier, more expensive factory oc cards will be under NDA until 22nd.

Paul MaudDib posted:

how did scumbag steve end up as president of RED? :thunk:

and how do they colorgrade with 30 Watts of RGB LEDs shining onto their monitors through the case window

eames
May 9, 2009

Interesting to see the two different strategies at work - Ice Lake on 10nm while the rest remains on 14nm as opposed to Renoir on the “old” 7nm while other chips are expected to move to 7nm+ (partial EUV) very soon.

Yet Renoir looks like it’ll be competitive in at least some segments and I have little doubt that AMD will be able to ship large amounts of them.

I just hope they got their idle power consumption/power gating under control.

eames
May 9, 2009

If I remember correctly the rumours about this type of NUC first appeared around Razer’s water cooled, modular PC vision. All of this seems technically possible now, the backbone would be a large multi port PCI bridge with an AIO and PSU built into it; the ports could be regular PCIe and the modules would slot in with prefilled, drip free liquid connectors.

e: this thing - dont ask me why one would want it over a regular *tx computer. OT but I also like how the ceo calls out "copy cats" of the Razer Blade, which is a completely unique unibody design never seen before.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 8, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

It feels like if they keep pushing this old process they'll never be able to catch up with 10nm.
I would have expected performance/frequency to plateau at some point so they can sell Tiger Lake (or whatever) as an improvement on the Desktop. Guess AMD won't let them do that. Not that I'm complaining...

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD launched new 9-series mobile chips. I remember seeing these briefly on Asus notebook slides during the Renoir launch and wondered if those were typos, but here they are. Higher clockspeeds, better GPU, same nominal TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15623/amd-ryzen-9-4900h-4900hs

eames
May 9, 2009

IMO the main reason why AIO watercoolers gained so much mindshare is because they make prebuilt high-end PCs easier/safer to ship and the "large botique" (i know) manufacturers tend to invest a lot of money in marketing.

Almost nobody sells prebuilts with NH-D15s at scale because packaging and shipping would be a nightmare. It doesn't have to be that way but good luck changing the ATX spec.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 1, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Y'all act like Instapak wasn't a thing, even back then.

It was a thing, even back then.

$3.72 per, in bulk. https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2030-1/dp/B00KAFU2WG/

I'm well aware these exist but they're not going to save a motherboard with a mounted NH-D15S when the whole unit is dropped from 3 feet height.

eames
May 9, 2009

priznat posted:

Since there is a lot of heatsink chat rn I have a noctua nh-d15s with one fan, did the kit originally include the wire brackets for a 2nd fan and if I was an idiot and threw out the box is there an easy way to get more? Been thinking about getting a second 4 pin 140mm fan on my 8700K.

O/T but I have that CPU/Heatsink/Fan combination and found that the added second fan only lowered temperatures by 1-2 Celsius under full load. It wasn’t worth it and I ended up removing the second fan again. YMMV, I imagine the second fan would be useful for a larger CPU like the Threadripper.

eames
May 9, 2009

EmpyreanFlux posted:

DDR5 is going to be lit though, kits bottom out @ 4800 and apparently Hynix is aiming for 8400, which is like ~130GB/s for bandwidth. Zen4 or even Zen3 APUs might actually be 1650 tier or possibly more. At which point yeah, I think APUs will be a legit choice for 1080p gaming, not just budget.

There’s also talk about on-memory die ECC support, so sticks could support ECC without requiring extra chips for parity because it would be built into the memory Dies. That could also be great if the consumer products end up supporting it.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 4, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

I would guess it is mostly due to the process. Intel's 14nm is extremely refined at this point, but it is a complete dead end due to power efficiency.

There's no obvious reason why Zen won't clock past 5 GHz if/once the manufacturing process supports it, overclockers have already benchmarked Zen CPUs way past that mark with LN2 cooling.

eames
May 9, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

I can't be trusted to remember anything apparently, and I have a 8600k, not an 8700k. I definitely think that my CPU's been doing just fine, so yeah I guess it does boil down to "only makes sense to upgrade just for giggles" at this point.

Not having hyperthreading might cause problems when next-gen console ports come out, but for the most part that CPU should still last you a while. I also have a 8700k and am looking for an excuse to switch to AMD, but since I don’t run heavy/multithreaded workloads there’s no justification in sight.
If AMDs next (DDR5) platform will also last multiple CPU generations then that’d be a great time to upgrade.

eames
May 9, 2009

Anandtech posted a great, in-depth review of the 4900HS

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15708/amds-mobile-revival-redefining-the-notebook-business-with-the-ryzen-9-4900hs-a-review

eames
May 9, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Margins aside, what kind of volume do they really think is going to move? OEMs office boxes? No iGPU... Maybe in lower average income countries?

It'd be nice to see these in NAS appliances, that would be a giant leap over the unreliable Intel Atoms.

eames
May 9, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Same. I doubt the market is huge for these but it's probably not huge for Intel either, AMD would have at least provide reference boards if not make them outright. Would be killer tiny desktops that are actually capable of light gaming (excellent emulation rigs) and cheaper+significantly faster than the Intel nucs.

Dr. Ian Cutress has a whole video on this topic on his personal channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACBDe1obhkM

You can foward to 12:30 to skip the industry talk. It seems to be a matter of marketing money and NUCs having lower volume/margins than laptops.

eames
May 9, 2009

:confuoot:

a 8700k from 2017 is still ahead of or at least on par with the 3700X unless you render Cinebench all day (source: computerbase FPS and frametime) and your second example is completely hypothetical.

eames
May 9, 2009

Klyith posted:

The 8700k was not available until the very end of 2017, I would have had to get a 7700 or 7800. Add the mobo to the 8700K and it's at most a tie in price (8700K: $380, leaving only $120 for the motherboard which isn't a lot on the intel side).

Also if video games are the only performance metric that matters, then I keep the 1600X and buy a higher tier GPU because I don't play games at 720p.

My hypothetical B450 4600 upgrade is the exact thing that K8.0 said people are dumb to be mad about, because upgrading CPUs isn't worth it.

edit:

hey would you mind linking that source because apparently they're a pretty dead heat in this computerbase review

I wrote on par or ahead of, keeping in mind that the 8700k has overclocking headroom to at least 4.8 GHz while the 3700X already runs at optimum frequency out of the box. If you’re going to pick at 1-2% in FPS and frametimes and take GPU upgrades into account then this discussion is moot anyway, because none of it takes the effects of memory speed and timings into account. We can just agree to disagree.

orcane posted:

Totally not worth it, why do you even want to upgrade your AMD CPUs just should have bought Intel. Ur stoopid.
:goonsay:

On a different note, I always enjoyed that the posters in the AMD and Intel thread were relatively conciliatory and factual in this corner of the internet.
Looking back my own posting was probably too inflammatory, I didn’t mean to question a purchase that people appear to be emotionally invested in, I was merely trying to point out that the $1k 7900X was not the only option back then.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm not a BIOS engineer but it seems like the vendors could get around the whole size issue by simply supplying two different BIOS versions in the same zip file. One would contain microcode for "legacy" CPUs, the other for all newer CPUs.
Pick and flash the one that suits your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

They would almost have to release the BIOS update in some weird unofficial way; putting it on the same website as their other stuff might be the way to go, but at that point, you're at the whims of random people on the internet.

They could also just leak a unlocking/bios modifying tool on to github or reddit and leave the enthusiasts to play with it, "pencil-trick" style.
If it fails or bricks your machine you're SOL. 9900K also runs on Z170 if you try hard enough, though the marketing situation is different there.