Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Misc posted:

I have seen that bulldozer aged well, even if it didn't start out good enough to make it worth waiting around. I am within the ideal use case for Ryzen as I have multithreaded workloads and play games socially, but am weighing my options towards building a dedicated, small form factor gaming machine instead since I still carry my stuff around for lan parties. There are no mITX boards available, and my local Micro Center aren't offering many Ryzens with mATX boards, so I'm going to continue to observe where this all goes for a while longer, especially if the Ryzen-based APUs allow for good enough gaming performance that I can keep in an enclosure small enough to fit in a bag.

This kind of my problem now, I want to upgrade to itx build for portability. However, there are no boards at all and it'll be several months before any come out. To have say a SilverStone Raven RVZ02 with a Titan XP and Ryzen 1800x would be an amazing VR rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So basing this off of R7 1800x prices, are we going to see Threadripper at $1000? For the R9 lineup you're obviously going to have a 4 CCX setup with 2 CCXs per die on chip(Epyc having 8 CCXs and 4 dies). This means we could also see some weird CCX core arrangements. Like the 10 core going with like a 2+3+2+3 approach or 1+1+4+4 or any other combination.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Scarecow posted:

Jesus the wait for threadripper is killing me, where are the drat leaks at

It releases in August and you get a preview from Alienware on July 27th. I imagine you'll probably see information on July 20th about thread Ripper.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So with X variant threadripper starting at $800 and $1000 repectively. Could we potentially see the low end 16c at $900 and maybe lower end 12c at $650-750? Now sure how two 14c variants are going to fit between a low end 16c and high-end 12c.

SinineSiil posted:

Nvidia-only GPU accelerated parts of it are very very rarely used nowadays. Last commercial game I recall using that was Batman Arkham Knight.
Killing Floor 2 uses some Nvidia physx processing. On my Titan XP at 3440x1440 max detail setting on everything my frames drop into the single digits.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 14, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

with how the CCX works I'm not sure we're going to see anything but multiples of 4 in practice

We already have 6c units made from two CCXs. They just have one core disabled on each CCX. There's no reason why you couldn't use partially functional CCXs in a 14 core or 10 core thread Ripper. That's how their making the 12 core units anyways.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 14, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A die is a CCX is 4 cores plus 4 cores.

A fully-enabled TR part is two dies is two CCSes, which is 4 cores + 4 cores on one die, and 4 cores + 4 cores on the other, giving 16c/32t.

A theoretical 8c/16t would have each of those numbers divided in half. 2 cores + 2 cores on one die, and 2 cores + 2 cores on the other.

A CCX is only four physical cores. Ryzen is made up of two CCXs, for an eight core maximum. Thread Ripper will be made up of four CCX units. A singular die is two CCXs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm at work, what's this UMA NUMA poo poo about?

UMA - Both dies are turned on and the CPU scheduler divides processes up between then
NUMA - One die is disabled, you now only have 8c/16t. Increases compatibility with games and software. Example, Dirt will not start in UMA mode.

FaustianQ posted:

Basically AMD has a switch that improves performance depending on whether the program is NUMA aware or not, but you have to activate it manually in UEFI, thus requiring a restart.
AMD has software that can do this. In Paul's hardware he shows the software for like 10-15s. AMD Ryzen Master.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/Ryzenmaster_legacy.png from ArsTechnica

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 10, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Huh, Anandtech article made it sound way more complicated. Also, it doesn't deactivate a die, it just disables SMT.

Paul says game mode and create mode specially disable a die. https://youtu.be/Fr1ZlUu8v_Q?t=420s

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

The other mode switch, that AMD calls "Legacy Gaming Mode" or something, is pretty much smt/hyperthreading on or off. At least that's how the anandtech article describes it, and judging by the performance in some of the benchmarks it seems true.

Legacy mode specifically disables a die, not SMT. https://youtu.be/Fr1ZlUu8v_Q?t=420s At least according to this review. This way, for games and applications that aren't NUMA aware, they don't have to worry about any of that.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

I think that guy is wrong. Look at the anand benchmarks. With a die disabled 8c/16t would never beat 16c/32t in the exact compute heavy workload that disabling SMT would give an advantage in, and that's exactly what happens.

According to AMD's information, game mode turns on legacy mode. When in game mode a 16c/32t will run at 8c/16t on one die. A 12c/24t also becomes 6c/12t.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/08/10/amd-ryzen-threadripper-for-gaming

AMD posted:

Game Mode is a new feature in AMD Ryzen™ Master  that reconfigures the platform in two key ways:

... For the truly technical, this is a 4+4 CCX configuration on one die.

If Anandtech was only running on 8C/8T than they must have disabled SMT manually.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 10, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The boards themselves, at least the ASUS Zenith, seem to eat a lot of power too. Gamers Nexus 1950x is drawing 10-30w less power than their 7900x on the EPS12v. The image is power over time while streaming and recording CSGO through two different applications.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tijag posted:

So you're saying this is wrong?

The issue was the other poster was saying that game mode turned off SMT. In game mode, with Ryzen Masters software, a whole physical die is disabled giving you 8 cores and 16 threads. If you were to disable SMT under game mode, you would only have 8 cores and 8 threads.

Game Mode, by default enables legacy mode and sets the CPU to NUMA. This mode has SMT enabled and one physical die of the CPU is disabled. Making it run exactly like a Ryzen 7 1900x.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Legacy mode locks you to one die with SMT disabled is what I've seen most places. You can manually disable SMT in full mode but SMT is always disabled in Legacy Mode regardless.

The default pre-configured Game Mode profile has SMT ON, UMA off, and Legacy Mode on. This information is coming directly from AMD.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

Disabling SMT is much more attractive than just disabling a whole friggen die to me, i dunno. Also if you disabled a die, why bother having NUMA on? Unless you only disabled the cores and not the memory controller?

The reason for the for disabling could just be the simple fact that they feel the die to die latency is too high. Even though it's only 250ns on 2400Mhz RAM and 200ns on 3000Mhz ram. If you're running in Legacy mode your threadripper is essentially just a Ryzen 7 1900x with quad channel memory and 64 PCI-E lanes. Games/apps that are already optimized for Ryzen will than have no issue on Legacy mode.

https://youtu.be/Hn96ty9D0aQ?t=278s The graph does the core to core latency numbers.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 11, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AMD replied with a gif of man in a green shirt high fiving a man in a red shirt.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

How could it possibly be a single die and have quad channel memory?

There are two memory controller chips per die.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wait, how is that set up? I thought they were literally Ryzen chips linked up. Double dual channel gives you quad. Is that not correct?
On the UMA NUMA info graphs for Threadripper they show two memory controllers next to each die. Giving each die quad channel access with one controller per 2 dimms. It looks like, essentially, one die will access all memory through the other die if all 8 DIMM slots aren't populated.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11697/threadripper_architecture-final_16.jpg

I think the only way we'll see a 8c TR is with a 2+2 CCX + 2+2 CCX scenario. This would make it still capable of quad channel memory across all 8 dimm slots.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm talking about this. What pair of the four dies does AMD replace with dummies?

In the Gamers Nexus video about cooler contact, they say that AMD Said that the dies that will be activated are diagonal from each other. They will be the same die on all TR units. Which diagonal set of die has to be determined yet.

https://youtu.be/QpvGYxaMLc0

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 11, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, what's the possibility of like ASRock or someone else making a mATX or ITX Mobo with all the M.2 slots on the back? I know you probably couldn't do 8 DIMM slots, but you could probably take full advantage of all 64 PCI-E lanes on mATX.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything particularly wrong with the Trinity series of CPUs? My friend has an HP pre-built with an A8 - 5500, was going to help him upgrade with a new power supply, RAM, and video card so he can actually game on it.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 28, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Besides being Construction cores, not particularly? Like, they are the weakest APU cores IIRC, and if the board is FM2+ maybe invest in a Steamroller/Excavator Athlon since he's getting a dedicated card. It really depends on what you're making the full setup like and what the full budget, if there is one, is also like.

The board only sports up to like an a10-5800k. It's a custom MSI board for an HP pre-built. $200 is the upper limit really on what he would want to spend on upgrading. I'm giving him a 970 for free.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Will it take Zen 2 to remove infinity fabric from memory speeds or could it be done with the process change in Zen+(14nm+ variant)? I feel like they crippled Zen too much with the infinity fabric tie into memory speeds.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I thought the majority of games running 4k on consoles were all running some kind of rendering trucks like checker board. To get the visual quality they do at 1080p in 4k, I doubt any consoles could do legitimate native 4k. The 1070 barely does 30 fps in Ghost Recon Wildlands and less then 30 in Deus Ex, surprisingly gets ~50 fps in BF1.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

What with the two GPUs with no SLI bridge?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Where are you seeing SSD prices go up?

The sale prices this year were just about last year's normal prices. SSDs have gone in price by about $30-$50 a piece depending on capacity. I picked up 3 1tb 850 evos for about $260 1.5 years ago. They've hit $300+ normal price this year.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Llamadeus posted:

Just announced! Naturally, it's Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

4 DIMM slots, 8 SATA slots, 3 m.2 slots and 1 u.2, 3 front USB headers, 3 PCI-e 16x slots, dual Intel Gigabit, dual band WiFi, at least 8 power phases.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

Now do ITX.

Put 4 so-DIMM slots on the back along with the 3 m.2 slots.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I'm already eyeballing the board design and I think I see a Mini-ITX TR board in there.

I think ASUS could do it easier. They have a manufacturing line that doesn't do any kind of soldering. So you wouldn't need pins passing through the motherboard taking up space.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So if I planned on doing a system upgrade to TR4 in November, should I just wait for Zen 2 in 2019? Moving away from 4790k which just can't keep up with encoding for streaming and playing. Planned on going max core count on the CPU with an Enermax TR4 AIO unit for cooling, 32GB of through 4x8GB somewhere in the neighborhood of 3600+ rated. Board choice would be either ASRock or MSI with built-in wifi.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/GWQ74Fuyl4M

TL:DW: der8auer says that they're using real dies on TR. AMD says they're not electrically connected. der8auer delids Epyc 8c and TR 1920x showing distinct differences in components on surface. He has them X-Ray Epyc and TR by PCB analysis company. X-Ray shows that TR is electrically connected to all dies, including infinity fabrics between all dies. He speculates that AMD could be holding back on a 32c TR component.

He says that all his TR PCBs have the same 32200 code printed on them and the Epyc had 32188. Speculates it's PCB revision.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

The regular CPUs (R# 1XXX), probably not much. I believe all SKUs are already soldered where the Intel units all have TIM.

Delidded APU results are still coming through.

GN posted their delid results last night already. Basically boiled down to 11-15c drop in temps. OC'd on air it thermal throttled on normal TIM.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

lmao my spare PC somehow had AMD services running even though it had never used any AMD hardware since a fresh install

x64 is AMD technology. To run x64 you need AMD services.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Novo posted:

Is there a go-to Threadripper motherboard for people wanting to run Linux and do GPU passthrough? I heard they updated the Taichi?

The problem I'm having is all the X399 boards except the Gigabyte Aorus look like hot garbage to me, so I need something to motivate me to pick one over another.

my god they're all hideous though

Asus has generally is good for pass through of components and if you ever need bifurcation the Asus boards can split 16x slots into 4x4.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wouldn't mind gaudy mainboards, if there were decent window-less cases. But we can't have that poo poo either. loving PCMR crowd.

Silverstone Raven RV02. Even though it has a side window all the IO is on the top. You can push the side window side against a wall because the air intake is on bottom. It also makes for a great under desk floor PC because of the top IO.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aren't monster trucks just show trucks really. Oversized for effect not performance? Really, monster trucks are the biggest over compensation trucks a man can buy.

quote:

You are now banned from r/AyyMD and r/AMD

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 9, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gamers Nexus is by far the best tech channel on YouTube

What's wrong with Level 1 Techs? They're more Enterprise oriented, but they still do great content on consumer products occasionally.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Windows also needs to fix their core assignment. Wendell @ L1T, Ian at Anandtech, and the writer of Process Lasso seem to have nailed down that the performance regressions that the 2nd gen Ryzen exhibits down to a kernel bug.

https://level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LOMTpCtLA

I just tried their CorePrio program on my 1950X and was running Indigo myself. Without CorePrio and without /affinity, I was getting 1.6 on Indigo. With just /affinity 0xFFFFFFFE I was getting 1.73 in Indigo(Launching Indigo with Core 0 affinity off). With CorePrio and no /affinity, I shot up to 2.2 in Indigo with my 1950x OC'd to 3.9GHz. So not the same 50% increase in performance he was, but I did see a ~37% increase in performance in just Indigo.

I wonder if this would solve my OBS encoder issues I've been having where I'll drop 1% of my frames when trying to render a 1080p image to 720p output.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 4, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yay, glad I was able to share news that helped.

It didn't completely fix my dropped frames in OBS, but I went from having tens of thousands of drop frames in like an hour span to only having 54 dropped frames after an hour of gaming. This poo poo seemed to have fixed my OBS issues.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If anyone has a threadripper with an Enermax Liqtech TR4 AIO, your AIO is probably dying as we speak. I was having thermal issues with my 280mm version and Steve just did a video on this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1kzO_gIp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

If anyone has a threadripper with an Enermax Liqtech TR4 AIO, your AIO is probably dying as we speak. I was having thermal issues with my 280mm version and Steve just did a video on this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1kzO_gIp4

I had an Enermax on my Threadripper 1950x and just took apart my cooler. Seriously, if you have one of these your system is in danger. I switch to a ThermalRight Silver Arrow TR4 with an additional two Noctua NF-A12s two weeks ago. I just opened my Enermax cooler up to find this.

This is all crusted into the microfins, it's not liquid.
https://i.imgur.com/ZGvhiAU.jpg

The white glob is hard to the touch.
https://i.imgur.com/tV237Wx.jpg

Basically, the bio-growth inhibited I would say more than 60 or 70% of the cooler's cooling capacity. The white glob is on the outlet side of the microfins, so the majority of the water was never getting through.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 27, 2019