Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hi thread :wave:

What do you all think about the Ryzen 1700 at $250 + a A350 Asrock mobo at $88? Should I wait for AMD's April refresh, or splurge now?

This will be a turnkey, as I have everything else needed for this build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
That's a Microcenter price. It isn't indicative of normal reality.

I want to try and wait for April but I don't know when I'll be able to buy 8c/16t again for under $300.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hi thread :wave:

What's the general consensus on those laptop Raven Ridge APUs, and why are there so few (read as "none") high-end SKUs and only one mid-tier?

I don't need to buy, but I want to buy. Is there a basic timeline outside of magic ball stuff for when another series of APUs will launch (12nm?), or is AMD happy with its position?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sincx posted:

They're about twice as fast as Intel's iGPU but around half the speed of a MX130. I'm guessing that's not fast enough for a high-end SKU.

I can't seem to find the MX150 or 130 in anything ~13" with a not-trash IPS screen with greater than 80% sRGB... and Intel never places their GT3e/Iris tech in anything under ~25watts this cycle. I was hoping for a unicorn...

Just want a low watt, <$1.2k, <3lb Lilliputian machine that does graphics gooder than a UHD 620, with decent build, >5hrs of web surfing and USB-C.... I have a monster desktop at home, but why can't I do work on the airplane tray table?

Edit: Guess I'll wait for the next revisions, refurb my Yoga with it's rotted out battery and hope. Thanks.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 30, 2018

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Klyith posted:

(99% of laptops are not gonna meet that list of qualifications regardless of CPU. A pro-quality screen on a sub-3lb machine for under $1200? Good luck.)

I'm not asking for Adobe. Just sRGB, which is more common than you think.

Apparently the D has 73% sRGB and poor color gamut. But for ~$550.....dang.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Each electron app runs an entire chromium runtime beneath it. That's a good thing, actually. You're isolating yourself from the app. The app is isolated from you. It cannot hurt you anymore. It can only absorb RAM and CPU cycles, and did you know that for every instance of chromium spun up on this earth, an angel gets its wings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

priznat posted:

Electroboom/Gamers Nexus crossover? :haw:

Unrelated what would be the best AMD CPU for a NAS build these days? I was looking at the 8700G but seems like no ECC, I can’t decide if this is a dealbreaker. My previous cpu didn’t have it either (2500K).

I think DDR5 has error correcting baked in each module? Just not the interconnects between the module and the CPU?