Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sinestro posted:

code:
                       R7 1700     R7 1700X     R7 1800X  
                     ----------- ------------ ----------- 
Cores/Threads:         8/12        8/12         8/12      

Those should be 16 threads not 12 :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Are Zen chips soldered?

They are.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My condolences to the Asrock engineer who gets tasked with designing a mini-ITX board around this socket.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

e: nevermind, I just realised EPYC is the server chip

It wasn't confirmed today, but the lead-up rumours did state that EPYC and ThreadRipper use the same socket:

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/8353-naples-and-threadripper-will-share-the-almost-same-socket

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Are Jaguar cores based on bulldozer? Everyone thinks that consoles have "8" cores, but if they're actually terrible CMT cores then a quad core ryzen would an upgrade. But I'm sure most people would be confused about why the core count "downgraded"

Nah, Jaguar is a separate architecture with "real" cores. They're just not very fast cores.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

speaking of real cores, a potential whitehaven benchmark just surfaced :stare:

https://videocardz.com/69717/threadrippers-fake-score

:rip:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

x300 is the super low end right so maybe for partners only that do enterprise poo poo boxes?

Enterprise shitboxes don't need overclocking though, so A300 is sufficient for those. X300 is for people who love overclocking but hate having lots of USB ports? :confused:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anybody watching the AMD thing? Got a dying cellphone battery, can't watch or listen while I'm working on this machine.

Anandtech are liveblogging: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11476/computex-2017-amd-press-event-live-blog-starts-10pm-et

Nothing interesting so far, just rehashed slides and OEM talk.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nice, all Threadripper parts will have 64 PCI-E lanes. No segmentation there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCPer did some tests on the ROTR Ryzen update. It looks like a pretty solid improvement :cheers:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

Min FPS is better on ryzen for whatever reason, and min FPS dips are much more noticeable than average fps, so I'd take a 4 core ryzen over a 4 core intel any time of day. The price is just bonus on top of that.

Wait, 4-core Ryzen has better min-fps than 4-core Intel? I thought that was just a perk of the 6/8-core Ryzen models.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

I thought it was due to architectual differences, as I don't really see how extra cores would magically fix random stutters in main game render thread, but I could be wrong.

If those stutters are caused by background processes being scheduled onto the same core as the main game thread, simply throwing more cores at the problem will help by giving the scheduler somewhere else to put those background tasks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Having 16 threads available is already plenty to schedule minor background tasks on.

That was literally my point. We were talking about mainstream Ryzen, not Threadripper.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 1, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Faster RAM does meaningfully impact Ryzen though, on like an order of 10% faster.

Speaking of which, how much have the BIOS/AGESA updates actually improved RAM compatibility? Is it easy to get 2x16GB running at 3200mhz yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AdoredTV still chasing those /r/amd clicks I see. Threadripper does look promising but declaring victory before we know SKUs, prices, performance or even a hard release date is a bit premature.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm wondering if the large size of the heatspreader combined with the spread out topography of the chip due to how it's manufactured from smaller sub-dies allows the chip to run at the full 4GHz speed sustained with sufficient cooling, probably something water based.

That's a good point. I'm wondering what the spead out design means for cooling though, having to buy a special heatsink with an XXL contact surface would be annoying (and more expensive due to low volume).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Existing coolers might be big enough to cover the actual dies even if they don't cover the entire package, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

It depends on Threadrippers layout under the IHS, which we haven't seen yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Ryzen Threadripper 1920 oh and also one of the supposed AMD Radeon engineering sample IDs matches the ID of an Intel HD Graphics Gen9 engineering sample?..

"Intel(R) HD Graphics Gen9; 694C:C0 (1720SP 47C 1GHz, 528kB L2, 10.4GB 800MHz)"

That can't be right, 1720 SPs doesn't divide evenly into the 64SP CU/NCUs that GCN is built from.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In true AMD fashion, they've released the Zen software optimization guide... over 3 months after Zen launched.

http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/55723_SOG_Fam_17h_Processors_3.00.pdf

Better late than never I suppose v:v:v

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: wrong thread

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 15, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

But unfortunately quick-disconnects not leaking is a fairly big ask. When I was growing up I remember the quick-disconnect air hoses in our garage leaking constantly, they are just an inferior connection to a proper semi-permanent fitting

EK uses medical-grade quick-disconnects for those kits, so you'd hope they're pretty drat reliable :ohdear:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Note that those stats are coming from PassMark though, so it's a self-selecting sample of people who chose to benchmark their system. That might skew the numbers a bit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

LTT Amazon affiliate statistics also showed significant market share increase. So at least currently people are buying much more AMD CPUs than before. But it remains to be seen how big of a portion AMD will manage to carve of CPUs in use.

Meanwhile the Steam hardware survey just updated with Junes stats, and says AMD lost CPU marketshare for the 4th month in a row :psyduck:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

My understanding is games are perfectly capable of using a single thread for individual processes, like sound, networking, physics, AI. But each individual process doesn't need the same amount of CPU power, so you end up with certain processes that use way more CPU power than the others and you can only go as fast as the slowest process.

Early attempts at multi-threading game engines worked like that, with a dedicated thread per subsystem, but most modern engines have moved on to a task-queue or task-graph architecture instead. The idea is to launch a general-purpose worker thread for each CPU core then have idling workers pull tasks from a shared list of poo poo-that-needs-doing, the advantage being that the workload evenly balances across the CPU cores provided the tasks are granular enough and there aren't too many inter-task dependencies. But there's an overhead to managing a task, so they can't be too granular.

In theory these engines can use any number of threads, but in practice the task granularity will be tuned for the 7 threads available on consoles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Someone on /r/amd noticed a clever trick AMD are using on Epyc (and probably Threadripper)

There are actually two versions of the Zeppelin die, mirrored vertically to allow for much tighter routing between the Infinity Fabric interfaces. I assume they can even use one set of masks for both versions by just flipping them upside down as needed.

Jim Keller :worship:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GamersNexus says Threadripper will not come with a cooler, but will come with an Asetek mounting bracket so you can use many existing AIOs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

The first Threadripper systems for sale.

iBuyPower gives you 3000MHz to 3200MHz memory, and a lot of choices in capacity from 8GB to 64GB, and Alienware only offers 2666MHz memory from 8GB (in a $3k system wtf) to 32GB.

It looks like Alienware have a policy of not overclocking memory, ever. 2666mhz is the official max for Ryzen and presumably Threadripper, and their Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E systems likewise max out at 2400mhz DDR4.

What a bunch of wusses.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Threadripper has four dies? :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVK6rJR5VE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How is the included Asetek mounting bracket going to work with that die arrangement then? It would have been fine with two centered dies, but with four I don't think they will be fully covered by the AIOs coldplate.

AMD apparently thinks it's not a problem though :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

See, that's what I assumed, so none of this makes sense, unless they're failed dies put in place just to keep the heatspreader level or something weird.

It could be like the RX480, where they shipped all early units with 8GB of VRAM and just artificially capped some units at 4GB. Later on they started making actual 4GB cards.

Similarly they might phase out the quad-die Threadripper and introduce a native two-die design later.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3211409/computers/why-ryzen-threadripper-has-two-mysterious-chips.html

PC World posted:

So did AMD really waste two perfectly good "Zeppelin" dies? Nope.

Those other two "chips" are nothing more than spacers to help maintain the structural integrity of the gigantic heat spreader, PCWorld has learned from a source who declined to be identified.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what if the spacers are completely defective zeppelin dies

100% yields :eng101:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Nah, it's just changed rules for SIGGRAPH.

AMDs Capsaicin event isn't actually being held inside SIGGRAPH, they're hosting it at a separate private venue nearby. They could stream if they wanted to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X price leaked

$549 for the 8C/16T part.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fine. Is that the bottom end of the stack? Are we only getting three variants of TR?

Supposedly there's a non-X version of each SKU coming as well, so no. There will be an even cheaper 1900 non-X.

https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900-1900x-1920-and-1950-spotted

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

edit: nevermind, im dumb

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 2, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't 3.0 now known as 3.1 Gen 1?

They're slightly different, the physical layer is identical but they added a new encoding to 3.1gen1 that reduces overhead by using larger packets. Theoretically the bandwidth overhead is reduced from 20% to 3%.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

I suspect Threadripper (B1 "stepping") will suffer from the same problem and Epyc will have the fix (B2 stepping)

Someone on Reddit claims his Epyc server is segfaulting on the Phoronix stress test :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Phoronix posted part 2 of their segfault investigation: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-segv-continues&num=1

Phoronix posted:

So that's where I am at now. Yesterday's testing showed the problem can be reproduced even if SMT is disabled and even if forcing the memory to DDR4-2133. This latest testing shows the problem isn't isolated to GCC that it can also happen with LLVM Clang (in fact, worse) as well as when using the latest GCC 8 development code. Disabling ASLR did not help the situation and running the other stressing concurrent workloads for server/multimedia/scientific didn't yield any segmentation faults in an hour unlike the compilation workloads yielding 50+ per hour. Clearing the BIOS and leaving the defaults also hasn't yielded any change. Some have also said they have been able to reproduce this problem on Epyc CPUs, but unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be receiving any Threadripper / Epyc review samples.