Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Obsurveyor posted:

ECC required for ZFS smells like bullshit and cargo cult behavior to me.

Pretty sure we went through this in another thread, (Probably the NAS thread) and that was the conclusion. Obviously not bad and something to have if you can have it at the same price, (Which is far more possible now than it used to be), but for whatever we're piling on home NASes it's nothing remotely critical that will nuke your data sooner and not later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It'll be nice when Anandtech finishes with the benches for the DDR4-3200 vs the stock 2400 numbers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

loving morons. :ughh:

loving goooons!!
(It's yogscast lol)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bobfather posted:

"Assuming you don’t have a huge overclock" when every review site out there is squarely focused on the 8700k at > 4.8ghz.

At > 4.8ghz it pulls almost as much juice as the 1920x. You know, the processor with 12c/24t?

GamersNexus does have some good power measurement benches, I like their tests because they specifically focus CPU draw and not total system, and actually list the voltages on all the OC benches they include.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-3

(And yea, for stuff like Firestrike, the OCed 8700k pulls the same power as a stock 1920x )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FaustianQ posted:

This should save a lot in the mobile space, right? Cheaper boards, easier thermal solutions.

I don't think notebook chipsets are notable thermal concerns, at least in my Precision 7510 the chipset isn't cooled at all. It's literally just a bare die sitting there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looking over some of the other slides.... Lenovo still doesn't loving get it, is hamstringing their own product by going single-channel, as usual.

Apparently (or, going by the anandtech article) the deal with OEMs constantly doing the single channel ram on laptops thing is (It's by no means an AMD only thing btw), selling notebooks with the ability to upgrade the ram via only buying one chip/popping it in is a serious market requirement. And since 4 slot boards are reserved for gaming machines/workstations which always come with dual channel anyhow, that means just shipping with only one slot populated.

That, and on the laptops where it always shows up, single channel isn't bad enough for users to really notice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if something with soldered RAM is shipped single channel, or (the stupidest loving option) a single soDIMM slot, then it's time to really get mad at dumbass OEMs.
I didn't know there were systems out there that actually got sold with two slots for ram on ostensibly dual channel platforms that actually hard disabled it though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The price changes and speed tweaks really make a couple compelling options though. The 2950x is 100$ cheaper than the i9-7900x, has 6 more cores, has faster base and turbo speeds (3.5/4.4 vs 3.3/4.3), far more cache, faster RAM support, and more PCIe lanes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

eames posted:

4.3 Ghz 3950X OC result cooled by an AIO. Exactly double the multicore score compared to my 5GHz 8700K. :toot:

https://hwbot.org/submission/4176848_blueleader_geekbench4___multi_core_ryzen_9_3950x_61072_points

It's also worth noting that he ran his RAM at 4133 MHz.

Hahah, compare that to the third place on the 16 core hall of fame: https://hwbot.org/submission/4097206_fasttrack_geekbench4___multi_core_core_i9_7960x_58250_points/

The AMD chip is winning a bench against a chip that's 1000$ more expensive, using DRY ICE COOLING, while it's using a normal AIO and running on an older board not tuned for overclocking.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cygni posted:

To be fair, the 7960X launched 2 years ago. It is absolutely going to be fun to see how much/if Intel starts slashing X series CPUs to match Zen 2, though.

Yeah, but, the 9960x is literally the exact same chip just with 200mhz higher stock clocks. (Which really aren't relevant in the OC arena like this, either). Same skylake, same process, etc etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Slight caveat here, that doesn't include the 2nd gen Scalable Xeons (read: 9000 series). They are available to OEMs at the moment, so pricing info isn't well known, but they do have this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/194146/intel-xeon-platinum-9282-processor-77m-cache-2-60-ghz.html which is 56/112.

But with 400W TDP. So yeah.

Those chips are so stupid they almost don't bear talking about, heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

iospace posted:

How so?

I mean when you're comparing AMD's best offering, you might as well include Intel's best. Yes the companies who will need a 64/128 or 56/112 in a server application* is probably countable on your hands, but it's still interesting to compare.

*Google, Salesforce, Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, SAP... and that's really all I can think of of off the top of my head.

They just don't make remote sense from a power/performance combo really. Also likely just straight overboard for cooling in a lot of places if you actually tried to fill a rack with them. It's more like "Hey these exist so we can say they exist, how many will we sell? Ehhhhhhh... don't think too hard about that part."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cygni posted:

We should all probably pump the brakes a little here. The only numbers we have are ES leaks and AMD's own internal numbers, both of which they have manipulated multiple times before. We don't really know the IPC gains, we don't really know the clock behavior, we don't really know anything for a few more weeks when 3rd parties get their hands on em.

I'm definitely cautiously optimistic, but all the grand strategy discussions about how Intel will counter and all that stuff has no foundation until we actually know if Zen 2 will deliver not only in performance vs Intel, but in price vs Intel. 16 days, yall.

Intel never in a million years actually lowers their prices unless they know they have no other options at all to compete, which should probably tell us about all we need to know.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Rat posted:

Just went through something like that a few weeks ago on my other PC when I figured out that it REALLY didn't get along with the USB hub in one of my monitors.

This has, surprisingly, torpedoed a windows install for me as well. No earthly idea how, but if the monitor's USB hub was plugged in my SSD wouldn't even show up as an available installation destination.

Yeah, I was cursing a lot when I found out that that was what had been wasting my time. The monitor's hub didn't even have anything plugged in to it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AARP LARPer posted:

Hi, I’m dumb and I have a dumb question that I’ve always wondered about : what’s the point of placing two ethernet ports on desktop mobos? What’s the second one used for?

it means when one of my ports just randomly stops working and falls back to 10mbit without even the ability to pull an IP address I can just plug the cable in to the other port and go on with my shitposting instead of having to actually go somewhere and buy a nic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just built a new 3900x system as well, it obviously doesn't do 4.6 heavily loaded but it does this under light use:

(I clearly have an MSI board, heh.)
I've done no bios fussing other than turning on XMP timings/clocks on my RAM.

With a ton of poo poo open it's more like 4.2ghz all core.

Subjectively it's a fuckton faster than my 6700k was.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 12, 2019

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Craptacular! posted:

Well, this is one of those old HAF912 cases that Steve wishes case makers would look back to. Looks ugly and has no way to show off the RGB. I owned an AIO on my last machine and what people told me was that as it was five years old (and a Fry’s return at that!) I’m lucky it hasn’t fried all my components. And that was for $100.

And while I love RGB and pay extra for it, what I don’t like paying extra for is time-limited wear components. As far as I can tell, owning an AIO is effectively a $20 yearly subscription, sort of like a streaming service except instead of content I’m getting a cooler CPU. I would rather just throw a single tower monster on there that would last years and years. Nothing D15 sized (it would block the RGB) but something like the Enermax ETS-T50 on a 3600 or maybe 3700 (though for all I know the Wraith Max might not be any worse.)

I don't think I'd ever get an AIO cooler while the NH-D15 exists, really.
(That's what I went for on my 3900x and temps are about 60-65c while gaming, with fans spinning at 1000 rpm or so).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FuturePastNow posted:

There are cheap X570 boards cheaper than some B550 boards now. I'm not a fan of the... fan, but that's a more compelling option.

The fan doesn't even spin on many boards by default. My MSI board doesn't spin it up at all so far as I've seen. I suspect it might only kick in while using pcie 4.0 peripherals, or a case with poor airflow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

How is that PrimoCache stuff better than just moving games in and out of the SSD as you finish playing them

simply continue buying more ssds and never move or uninstall a game at all.

(I'm only half joking I literally do this)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cygni posted:

Leaks are starting in earnest. You can always tell when the board partners get their validation parts!

https://twitter.com/tum_apisak/status/1310793433578053632?s=21

e: KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS DOWN.... but wowzer

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1310796311017345025

Does anyone know enough about ashes to put these results in context? Just browsing their benchmark database, setting to that same 4k/DX12 preset, it looks like there's only two results with a CPU FPS score higher than the 133 in that second screenshot, and both results are from a (Presumably massively overclocked) i9-10980XE chip.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Broose posted:

Can someone explain these zen 3 leaks to me like I am 5 years old? All the reactions on twitter vary from what I interpret to be "AMD has a dud" to "impressive" so now I don't know what to think.

Will it help me get more frames from my "totally gonna be successfully ordered any day now, just you watch" 3080?

It's hard to tell much, but it seems that we're looking at a very healthy 20-26% boost in single threaded performance, due to (unknown reasons). Could be higher single core boost clocks, could be larger 32mb unified L3 cache, could be other unknown stuff. It's probably at least largely down to single thread boost performance, because the full multi-core benches linked aren't as large an increase.

I don't think there's any way you could call that a dud, given that they're operating on the same process as the previous chips, so they don't suddenly have a far higher power budget to play with.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Broose posted:

I thought that it was revealed a while ago that zen 3 would be focused on unifying the L3 cache between all the cores. Though that might have been speculation.
From what I've read that sounds like a good thing since a lot of latency is introduced when stuff is on a different chiplet is needed as of now. I don't know, I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read here. Kinda confused on how they would manage that without slowing everything down to the slowest speed since its physically separated due to chiplets.

It's based on this:

Zen2 and Zen3 chiplets are both 8 cores a pop. Zen2's chiplet split the 32mb of cache between each group of 4 cores even on the same chiplet, so that did lead to the latency jumps between core groups. Zen 3 has straight up 32mb cache for every core on the chiplet. Chiplet to chiplet will still be slower though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think we can reasonably assume it will be bad/high demand, but not really to the level of insane demand the 3080s have. We're not coming off a previous generation of CPUs that were really lack luster, I think a ton of people upgraded to Zen 3 chips vs a relatively far larger number of people that passed on upgrading to 20xx series nvidia cards. The very highest end 12/16c models will probably be hard to buy for a bit but the 8 cores should be pretty plentiful.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the chiplet mechanism really helps binning. With a chiplet being as small as it is, and with the same chiplet shared across both enterprise and consumer, they can churn out a lot of volume on that one die, yield highly, and guarantee they can sell it all.

I would probably expect it to be broadly similar to the Zen2 launch. It will probably still sell out on launch day but it won't be particularly hard to get one within a month or two if you want. You will take noticeably worse silicon quality if you buy near launch rather than 6 months later or whatever (this has been a feature of basically every Zen generation), as well as getting to experience the thrills of launch-day AGESA/BIOS/driver bugs.

Yeah, for sure, it gives them just an insane advantage putting together the larger chips. Especially vs a conventional chip, with a defect in, say, the DDR4 controller, or other miscellaneous IO hardware still gets you an entirely dead die, but on Zen there's no real analogue. The IO die is on a far cheaper larger process so you're mitigating a lot of the defect rate and are able to harvest as many functional core chiplets as possible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think I would call a 50$ MSRP bump over the previous generation "gouging", but it's not exactly surprising with the complete lack of anything new from Intel in, well, forever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

as far as boost clocks the number on the box going up a bit is pretty meaningless (as we saw from the whole Zen2 launch debacle), but I'm curious what the actual numbers will be during a real load.

After all the updates and whatnot calmed down, turbo speeds hit just as advertised, but at least in my own personal case it was heavily dependent on temperature. I was/am using a silence focused case and the NH-D15 I was using didn't really keep the chip cool enough to let it attain max boost.

One Arctic 280 AIO later, and I was getting the exact boost I was supposed to, with no temps hitting above 60 c.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Anandtech mentioned their reviews will be posted on launch day.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Riven posted:

Well if any of ya’ll with a 38 or 3900 upgrade and are looking to sell I’m interested in upgrading from my 3600 for less than retail.

If stock is decent I'm gonna sell my 3900x to try and grab a 5900x, because, well, I'm a dumb nerd.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kraftwerk posted:

Hopefully not a fake TDP like the Intels where it boosts to like 300.

They will use more than 105 with boost and whatnot turned on. The current 3900x tops out in actual use at just under 150w fully loaded. Way less than the 320w a 10900k at 5.2ghz all core can suck down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol what the hell is happening there, anyway?

:dice: is happening.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
MSI's Meg Unify has 3 M.2 slots right now at least.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, and real time use case, I'm never ever trying to max out both at once. Nor would I really be able to tell if I was missing bandwidth outside of benchmarks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Oh my loving god lmao this is the loving worst.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Inept posted:

I thought the 10900 consumption was more like 200-250 watts.

Depends on the load and OCing, at 5.2ghz all core running benches it will pull 300w. Gaming won't be that high.

Also fwiw my ups reports my system (3900x, 1080ti, all at stock) uses 250w while gaming. (Light stuff to be sure, wow hardly maxes out a 1080 or 3900x)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Iirc AMD also clarified that X570 boards would boot Zen 3 without needing an update, but you would need the new bios for best performance.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

redeyes posted:

my 3900x hits at most about 4450mhz for a fraction of a second, generally between 4-4.2Ghz

Mine ended up doing about 4.1 all core on air, then swapping to water put that up to 4.3 and about 4.575 single core.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There are sporadic streaming + "other stuff open" benchmarks but hardly as many reviewers do them, even though it seems like the most very relevant type of benching to do these days- No one is gaming without anything else open, there's always 30 chrome tabs, discord, a stream, etc. I think the last one Gamersnexus did was on the Ryzen 2xxxes. There's other floating around out there on youtube, but they're not necessarily up to the same quality.

e: Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-deb7uIi9Gs

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 26, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

terrorist ambulance posted:

If trends hold, a 5600 or 5800 should be plenty for gaming for the next couple years right? 5900 / 5950 is likely overkill?

a 5800X might end up actually better than a 5900x for gaming, depending on the game, because all 8 cores are sharing the same 32mb of pooled L3 cache, vs 6+6 on the 5900x.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ijyt posted:

A 5900X has double the cache.

Right, but in a game that doesn't need that many threads, never having to cross between chiplets for a cache hit is a potential advantage.
Zen has a lot of little things that can go different ways like that though. The CPUs with only 6 cores per chiplet could have better thermal performance due to lower power density and thus boost more reliably higher speed wise. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I finally got a 5600x ordered. I was shooting for a 5900, but I'm happy with this as it seems like a better value.
Anyways I am using a cryorig H7 that I currently have. Is it worth getting an AIO cooler for it or Noctua? Are there be noticeable performance gains to be had?
It all will be assembled in a coolermaster td 500 mesh if that matters.

I would say that there's no way you need an AIO for a 5600x. It's quite low power in the scheme of CPUs. I did see good improvement with my 3900x moving from air to water, but that's a much higher cooling demand chip.