Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
isnt amd doing an entirely different chipset for itx? I'd imagine that would introduce some complications even if isn't that much of a difference and just 'less ram' and 'only one pcie slot'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait, ryzen's 4/4 structure is not internal to the chip, but rather from 2 4 core dies? No loving wonder

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, that was a poor use of words on my choice. I meant to convey that a dot over each of the two smaller rectangles might be better than one larger dot in the center. I absolutely should not have used to word "die" in my post and apologize, and have fixed the post.

No, it wasn't your words, I was confused from the line in the middle-- i thought it was from two dies rather than the 2 patches of solder the top two posts said

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ryzen has a 20 degree delta built into it for something. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a result of that (hwmonitor being ignorant)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

AMD is the one who knocks *on wood

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Perhaps in his place a new engineer will have ryzen

ftfy

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i like how they also made a mobo with 13 pcie ports

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
im kinda surprised (in a researcher sense) that they haven't gone with gaa sooner, since itd 'only' be what, an extra 2-3 masks to get that? theyd have to mess with the mandrels, but it shouldnt be too much.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

RWT did a great article on GAA for anyone wanting read more on it: http://www.realworldtech.com/intel-10nm-qwfet/

Its a couple years old now but much of the information still holds up.

Seems like DK was expecting it sooner too but maybe it just wasn't practical yet.

Gah good loving lord that 'quantum well' gate :stonk: growing a layer of si in the middle of all that? granted, you really only need one mask for all of that metal, but still.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Google says $490. That seems like a good price for that CPU and mobo and here I thought everything electronic was usually lots more expensive in the EU. Does it not include VAT in that price?

There seems to be some sort of commercialization of it already for solar cells of all things. Or maybe they're using something a bit different here, it was several years ago now I saw something about this and haven't heard much since, here is a paper on it but its way over my head:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260829824_Triple-Junction_Quantum-Well_Solar_Cells_In_Commercial_Production

yeah that metal fuckery is par for the course for photo-diodes. You need all of those energy levels to get the precise voltage/current/wavelength, though its not like LEDs need very fine features. However all of those different metals are expensive, especially when you have to make sure it etches away anisotropically through every layer so you can get that buried gate, form the very small features, etc

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

*sync over SiHS is something that I need to investigate. Straight up getting measurements is hard enough on a standard system. There are a few things I need to figure out, but I'm not sure how to do it (output stream from server, output stream from Link, server client latency, etc).

I'm super *duper* curious to see if there's a way to get a crazy cheap Freesync APU powered device hooked up to my TV as the client box for that. My TV has Freesync, so maybe it'll send Freesync all the way through. Probably not, though.

The SiHS thing is also more for putting games on my TV, I think there's a software that'll let you just move your mouse between desktop and laptop as a kind of extended screen, so maybe that'll be fun to play with.

Maybe a sufficiently low latency desktop instance could do it? Can you pass adaptive sync through virtualized video output? That would be crazy but also nice.

Or just crazy over buy and peg your frame rate limit where you want like I'm doing for older games?

E: I'm glad you understand the laptop thing. Sturdiness is so good.

gsync on the host or client machine? I've streamed from my pc which has gsync running, and it did fine.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

Raven Ridge uses Vega, not Polaris, and the most recent "leak" indicates the M385X as most comparable in performance, or about 15% faster than the RX 550.

that sounds like a cut down rx 560 :v:

^^^^ to be fair, thats just a process claim; its still reliant on a good enough design to hit it

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 16, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there any decent large-die-area low-power optimized processes (eg something similar to what you'd use for smartphone silicon that supports 150mm^2 dies or larger)?

I wonder if you could do a low-power micro-Navi on that.

gp107 was done on the same process as one of the top tier ARM SoCs. I forgot which one, though I want to say its whatever came after the one in the american galaxy s7? 832?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
why the hell isnt threadripper a terrible name for smt?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
didnt alienware or someone make a computer immersed in mineral oil?

^^ oh wait, THATs the Abyss stuff

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Considering they test chips before they leave the wafer...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
God, I'd love to work at asrock :allears: Pity they are Taiwan or wherever

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Taiwan is genuinely appealing in comparison to a lot of places that consider themselves "first world" these days

i meant it in the sense that they are thousands of miles away and not somewhere i could easily move to

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
latency matters more?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
it says 11 but the marketing pic for the power has 3 inductors separated from the other 8 in a little box for the taichi. But fwiw it just seems to be a 'thing' they do with some of their boards. All of the boards I took a cursory look at are the same, at any rate.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 3, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't 3.0 now known as 3.1 Gen 1?

Yes. Odds are asrock is the odd one out in that they don't like/care about the usb 3.0 renaming. the old style usb 3.1 ports are just regular old 3.0/2.0/1.1 usb ports, and usb-c is the cool new swedish cousinne

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

WALLETRIPPER!

That's not very nice :mad:

all he wants to do is find life

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
does the flux through the ihs stay constant over its entire area if there are smaller, localized sources? or wouldn't the flux be higher above those areas?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, flux as in amount of flow though a surface (integral) lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

repiv posted:

AFAIK all of the existing discrete Thunderbolt controllers still need an Intel PCH in order to function. That's why PCI-E TB3 cards require this extra cable that hooks up to a proprietary header on the motherboard:

Whether this connection serves an actual purpose or is just there to lock out AMD and older Intel platforms is anyone's guess though.

with those 5 WIRE connectors, there is no way that's anything more than some dumb spi connection, which i can only surmise is a way to go 'Oh btw are you an intel thing?" or to change over pcie lanes on the fly which is dumb since theres no reason why that cant be a part of the handshaking for the card (unless theres no way of piggybacking that over the pcie connection???)

e: Apparently the pinout is "Ground, Platform Sequence Control, Platform Sequence Control, Plug Event, Power"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
....considering room temp is 22C, 20C is impossible unless its out in the arctic or something.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
stuff separating almost certainly means the emulsion settled-- its not an entropic phenomenon in the slightest. Just mix it back up! But regardless, any aio will come pre-pasted so you only need a tube if you gently caress it up or need to take it off again for whatever reason.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

why the hell is pcie4.0 going to be so drat short lived? 3 has been around for what, close to a decade?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Honestly, I somehow never connected the 'v' in ipv# to 'version [number]'

I think i just thought the 4/6 meant the number of bytes/halfwords :shobon:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 30, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
just goes to show i dont care enough to really count them lol

also conflating link-local addresses which have fewer groups shown

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

r/AMD is hosed in the head because Steve only ever poo poo on the 1700X and 1800X for being overpriced relative to the 1700, and was iffy on the 1700 from a pure gaming standpoint as the 7700K performs better for a similar enough price. Oh and he rightly pans AMD for Vega. Otherwise I've never seen him explicitly down on AMD and instead has been supportive of basically the 1700 and down, and even Polaris as budget options.

posted:

The Hottest of Takes posted:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
remember how epyc has mirrored dies?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

srs :)

I suppose tho I could totally be wrong and they're churning out tons of chips and relatively few TR packages.

On the substrate, I wonder if they're even connected at all to the PCB or just pads on there.
Cos if the wiring is hooked up it'd be another vector for package faults.

14nm success rate for something that's not on a cheaper, fewer mask, process is ~75%. That includes ALL dies which pass, whether its bin 1 or one that fails one thing like voltage, but not so egregiously that it would take 150W to hit 3.8ghz or whatever. For zen, the dies are 213mm2, which means there are approx. 300 dies on a wafer: 225 that pass, 75 that outright fail. I think there's more than enough dead dies for threadripper ;) Hell, even if they got things going amazingly up to an 85% yield (the highest i've personally seen for a 14nm product was 86-88% for a 'budget' arm soc), there'd still be enough for like 20 tr processors per wafer

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Looking up the die size allowed me to come across this amazing site which goes in depth into the zen architecture as well as others, apparently: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Going by this logic, putting goop on the cpu while its in the socket is wiping back to front :crossarms:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, semi-accurate is 'legit' insofar as its been around and tried its best; it has set itself up as an 'industry' news site, hence the price.

Malcolm XML posted:

hell yeah bois up uP UP!!!!

nodes are marketing names at this point this is very likely "10nm" FEOL with "14nm" BEOL or somesuch like tsmc 16nm used older BEOL tech

Heck intel is basically hosed with 10nm, 14+++ is gonna be better than 10 for everything but extreme density/power needs (apparently SemiAccurate has the scoop on whats wrong but i am not spending 1k on that)

And I was just about to make this point lol. It's almost certainly that either they decided the process improvements were advanced enough for 14+++++++++ or whatever to merit a new marketing name, they decided to implement triple/quad patterning for FE and kept double for BE 1/2, or both.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I believe that link explicitly says that AMD is using it for both ryzen and vega, and thats the entire point of the presentation the link is reporting on

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Well, yeah, both intel-10 and gf-7 are banking on EUV working out, which so far it isnt doing so hot

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

wargames posted:

glofo 7nm isn't just them its part of that whole glofo/ibm/someother dudes all going yeah gently caress intel let's make 7nm happen.

Really? I thought that was just for '14', and they went on their separate ways (granted, with the lessons learned from 14)

Malcolm XML posted:

p sure intel 10 is still multi patterning only

It's very really a possibility I constructed a fake memory based on samsungs and everyone else's roadmaps of 'multi patterning sub-14 then euv sub-14+'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I have to wonder if some of those dies had very minor defects such as a void over a key line/transistor/whatever in one of the lesser used instruction extensions