Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We need to bring back POST cards as a standard with documented hex staging numbers so people can actually look up where in the boot process their new machines are hanging at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We are coming up on almost 30 years of ATX now. We've needed a new ground-up motherboard spec for almost twenty of them.

I am glad for the death of PATA and the ribbon cables that embodied them. (Even if I did have a set of kickin' rad UV reactive sleeved round cables) Floppy drives are dead. 12VO will go to some length in remedying the 24-pin connector and processor 4/8 pin bullshit. I'm sure in a few years 12VHPWR teething issues will be a forgotten thing of the past. But we still don't have a standardized front panel connector, fan headers are scattered around the motherboard in the stupidest places, and yes, why do cars have a diagnostic port in ODB II, but computers don't?

Good news: I've been doing deep level test works on motherboards for over a decade and a half now and if you blast data to ISA port 0x80 on them, you can still make a POST card work.

It's a shame that's the closest we'll ever get to an x86 mobo version of OBD-II.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I love whenever PC Nostalgia chat occurs.

Anyone remember which company actually put vacuum tubes on a mobo for audio? That’s the type of crazy poo poo that ASRock would do now.

IIRC there's a currently-in-production replica Commodore 64 board with an optional daughterboard that uses a Korg NuTube for SID amplification :science:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's still going poorly on the ASUS side of the fence as well.

This is not fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

One of the temperature sensors on my ASUS B650 board is constantly reporting being at 106 C, even at idle.

What the gently caress

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've also now just noticed that every two seconds the RGB LEDs on my Corsair H150i will blink off for a split second.

I think this machine might just be straight up haunted. Anyone here got any holy water I can borrow?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

as if this platform wasn't loving cursed enough

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

First it was addition and subtraction, now it's doing hardcore compare and exchanges, vector calculations, and floating points, and even arithmetics directly in the vein.

*shaking bottle of AVX instructions* Psst. Hey, kid. First one's free.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

little shop of ASUS horrors

Even on the latest BIOS for my ASUS TUF B650 I'm still getting random hard lockups every 48-96 hours. The only thing I haven't tried is a flatten and reinstall, and only because I'm pretty sure if it didn't solve the problem I'd find out because it'd crash before I finished reinstalling everything I need.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

karoshi posted:

1044 days times 10e11 is close to 0x7FFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF

Oh goddammit this poo poo again. :cripes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Then pay for Argus Monitor.

They’re an open source evangelist. You’re not going to get through to them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Then why are they playing Diablo 4? Running Windows? There's plenty of open source games out there! Nethack and Battle for Wesnoth come to mind!

I guarantee whatever DRM/anticheat/Warden derivative that's running inside Diablo 4 is more computationally and memory-hungry than an electron app whose UI renderer is absolutely going to be paged out or COW deduplicated by the memory manager until needed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have almost managed two weeks of uptime on my previously ridiculously unstable 7700X + ASUS B650 build. I don't care that this post is going to jinx that. I'm just amazed at this because I haven't changed a loving thing. No BIOS updates, no physical environmental changes, no driver updates, same set of Windows updates still outstanding...

This machine is more haunted than myhouse.pk3.

e: Crashed six and a half hours after this post. loving pile of poo poo.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 13, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Once again laughing and posting the absolutely insane table of AVX-512 fragmentation from Wikipedia

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I should probably update my BIOS and see if I can get this poo poo board POSTing on DDR5-6000 now that I've fixed the random lockup issue.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, ASRock's new bios allows for really high memory speeds, but it may not help performance much in most things because the uclock goes into 2:1 mode with the memclock. As seen in that screenshot, 4000 memclock with 2000 uclock, while on a DDR5-6000 EXPO kit, you'll get 3000 memclock and uclock.

I've got an ASUS board that, at launch, wasn't able to consistently POST above 4800, even with kits that were rated by both ASUS and AMD as being valid at 6000. I'm hoping that nine months and several BIOS updates later it'll be able to do so as advertised. Dozens of claims on reddit of this have been posted and it's just beyond hosed.

ASUS really hosed the dog on this board, but hopefully after almost a year of incremental improvements maybe it'll do what they said it would when it came on the market.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Up here in the great white north, a 7700X is $370 CAD and a 7800X3D is $590 CAD. It is over two hundred dollars cheaper to buy the 7700X and maybe lose an error bar's worth of frametimes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The whole "efficiency cores can't execute AVX-512" problem is the stupidest thing. It's something that could be solved in the scheduler (CPU topology discovery is a solved problem and the scheduler could just flag e-cores as not able to run anything with AVX-512 and the first time an AVX-512 instruction causes an #UD fault on an e-core the offending thread gets flagged as needing to be run on a p-core), but because people are stupid and refuse to update their operating systems, 12th and 13th gen Intel desktop processors can't do AVX-512.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://twitter.com/Olrak29_/status/1685343071213604864

With the possible existence of a 4 + 8 part, I wonder if this means that they're going back to four-core CCXes (or eight for 5c cores?) or if there's going to be multiple CCX sizes now. It seems like one of the issues Zen 3 and 4 have run into has been power efficiency for devices at 15W and under, and my suspicion is that the eight-core CCX that has to be in every single CPU is a part of the problem (and perhaps that's why Mendocino uses Zen 2 still). Being able to do proper four-core parts with no wasted silicon would be good for handhelds and other low-power devices.

This would also explain why AMD has finally sunsetted the G-series ultra-low-power SOCs. If they can spit out 4-core Zen 5/5c CCXes that can operate under 10 watts then there's no point in continuing to produce Jaguar dies in 2024 and beyond.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress Electron apps.

Unused memory is wasted memory.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait what, games actually require NVMe storage now? TLOU at that? Wow, I assumed that SATA SSDs would just make for slightly slower load times.

The consoles both have magical storage streaming technology, and approximating that on PC by requiring NVMe instead of optimizing your storage calls means you can redirect the man-hours in the budget that would otherwise be used for that over to microtransactions

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

The socket is a lot less of a limit these days than what's under the socket.

Introducing the world's first 96-layer motherboard PCB, only from ASRock!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Multi-channel width vs. speed has always been a tradeoff, and AM5 is no exception.

Would I like my 7700X box to be able to run 4x16s at 6000 MHz? Sure. Is 2x16 enough? Yeah, for now. When it's not, I'm sure AM5 will be mature enough that I can pop an 8800X3D and 4x16 at 6000 MHz in and it'll probably Just Work. But in the meantime, I can run Streets of Tarkov at high graphics at 1440p at 90-110 FPS and that's more than good enough for me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cygni posted:

i also didnt know it existed, so you arent alone

It mostly popped up as a joke from a derail in either this or the Intel thread where someone decided we needed a VAX thread, so I doubled down.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AMD should start going into hex digits after the Ryzen 9000s. By the end of the decade you'll be buying a Ryzen 9 C950X

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I was confused by the 13900K and 14900K being identical, but apparently one is just a 3% overclocked version of the other?

Just imagine that old AMD "MOAR CORES" meme but swap it to Intel and "MOAR VOLTS".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I need to update my BIOS and see if I can get this shithouse ASUS board above 5200 MHz on this 6000 MHz kit.