Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nForce were finicky as hell, but also fast as hell. A few 790i based boards I worked with were all fast as hell and could trade blows if not beat some of the Intel X38/X48 systems I had running at the time.

However they also ran hot as hell and trying to get everything to play nice with full SLI + All Ram slots full + OC was a much harder thing to do on them than it was on an X48 (Just aim an Antec Spotcool at the X48 NB and you were golden).

Up until that hack came out that spoofed your Intel based system as an 680i based board, the only official name in town for SLI back then was nForce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's from 2000 still. THX > Dolby anyway (back then at least).

Though I had P3 not AMD at the time right before the Athlon came out so eh, missed that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ooo didn't know that.

I was all bought into the Creative EAX crap back when the X-Gamer 5.1 was the thing. Playing Thief and MDK2 with EAX was pretty fun back in the day.

Still love my Klipsch's though. Replaced the woofer and a few resisters over the years, but they still sound bad rear end. Though I am getting ready to drop my X-Fi Creative stuff for Onboard soon. Freaking drivers continue to get worse and the Creator Update sort of broke them, again. (Static all over the place unless you use the Support Pack 3.5)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea as long as you do have more than 4G of ram, anything from Vista to 10 works fine on old stuff. One thing of note is how much better Win 10 runs on a old Toshiba from 2005 after a fresh install vs Upgrading from 7/8.1. IT has a Pre Core2Duo, Centrino Duo cpu that is 32bit only so you aren't getting more than 3G of memory anyway but it still runs rather ok for basic web browsing and ripping DVD's. Go figure.

I even have a Samsung Q1 Ultra with a Intel A110 cpu (800mhz single core pre Atom) with 2G of ram and it actually handles Windows 8.1 rather well. Win10 you can get it to install if you mess with the CPU clock that is reported in the registry but it really isn't optimal on something this slow. Swapping out the 60G HDD for a SSD might help a good bit, but overall the Q1 ultra is fantastic as a portable network diagnostic tool at least.

It is amazing how well you can get some older stuff to run newest versions of Windows considering you couldn't even think of doing the same thing on single core P4's and much other stuff before the Core2/Athlon64 days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If you have an 1x00X processor, the latest version of Ryzen Master will give you correct temperature readings.

Upgraded from 0605 to 0609 on my ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS and it stopped booting, lol.

I'm assuming it's an issue specific to being on 0605 and going directly to 0609 without first upgrading to 0606, which I did not notice when I downloaded 0609.

Contacted ASUS support on Saturday, no reply yet. Have exhausted all avenues of "fixing" this one, CMOS Reset, CMOS Reset + Battery Removal, and the Ctrl+Alt+Del Reset+Power process. Can't even get it to post to boot into a DVD or autodetect bios firmware on fat32 thumb drive. Also tried swapping out memory/gpu just to verify individual things still functioned in other machines.

Amazon was really cool about it and I'll have a replacement here tomorrow morning, they also let me return both sets of ram I purchased weeks after the return window w/ no additional charges.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm extremely lazy: is it possible to remove the heatsink/pump and processor together without having to re-apply paste? I have some handy regardless but it hadn't occurred to me until now that I could do even less

:effort:

The Board has Crashfree 3 tech. Have you tried the Manuals Directions and rename the bios file before you tried booting with it?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Naw I am used to that sort of customer response both from people that haven't a real clue as to what they are doing, (But hate the "Did you turn it off and on again?" question, that usually fixes the issue) to the ones that know what they are doing, but hey, I can't read minds through a forum or anything.

On the Tech side of things though, I have a knack for bringing things back to life that appear dead to all others so I would have liked to have had a chance with that poor board, but I also can see that being this early in the new tech's lifecycle that something just borked itself between bios flashes.

Glad you're up and going again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've actually heard quite a few people that have managed to bork their BIOS beyond repair at this point via whatever upgrades and stuff. If shorting out the CMOS reset pins doesn't work... what are you actually going to do?

In fact at this point you're kinda getting lucky if swapping out the board works, since so much of the UEFI lives on the CPU package now.

Thats the thing, if he borked whatever Bios bit was on the CPU, wouldn't that have made the CPU useless in whatever board he put it in after?

That leaves something on the board with a bad flash, and with Asus board since the X79 at least, you can flash the bios with nothing more than a USB stick and power with no CPU, RAM, ETC plugged in. You also might only have 1 port that it works with (thats what my X79 has anyway) and a few weird button combos to get the process going even if the Manual sometimes states otherwise.

The weirdest was my Acer W500 tablet. I had a UEFI install of Windows 10 on the Insider Preview builds installed, and forgot about it for a while. Turns out the OS expired to the point that it would not boot up at all, and because I was a dolt and left QuickBoot enabled making it technically impossible to get to the Bios screen no matter what I tried because for whatever reason, it disabled the Keyboard upon boot even with the SSD removed.

About 3 hrs later I finally found some obscure post about how to force flash the bios with a specifically named bios file, button combo, and no visual indicator whatsoever.

It worked and I have that tablet working like a champ today. Though that was the closest I think I have gotten to loosing a device to something that stupid.

The one board that I did have die after a Bios mishap though was the old ASUS Striker II Formula Nvidia i780 which were known to just poo poo the bed randomly messing with the OC or flashing bioses. The i790 didn't have the same problem which was odd as hell.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Doesn't ZFS have sort of built in checks for a bit flip error? Especially if you have it scrubbed on a regular scheduled that would more than likely be more often than you get flips in the first place?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the Linux Build benchmarks have all shown to be pretty quick on current Ryzen chips, a 16C part should absolutely fly. Hope their HEDT platform has some server grade storage controllers or something to keep up.

God I can see them having similar issues to the X79 platfrom when it launched and had all sorts of issues with its Storage controllers, like not supporting Trim, slowness, the Enterprise drivers actually being worse across the board than the consumer ones. Ugh

Thank god it only took them like 2 years to get bios/driver updates to make it suck immensely less.

Still. These AMD leaks and announcements seriously have me considering one down the road. It is fantastic to see AMD coming at Intel face first after 10 years of nipping at their toes. They may not be on even ground yet, but at least they are playing in the same ballpark once again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only reason I say down the road is because I have a X79 with 6 cores already that still makes me happy.

If I was in the market for a new rig relatively soon, then making the decision between Intel/AMD would be a lot harder right now.

I would actually reallllly like to get my hands on a Ryzen build just to mess with it and learn all I can about the new platfrom hands on.

Maybe I can swing one of the tiny Ryzens for my Plex Transcoder server since for whatever the hell reason Plex refuses to just send raw audio for any of my newest content anymore and the NAS just can't handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So I am still catching up on the thread (page 38 still) but wanted to check. Anyone see that Tesla appears to be working with AMD to make an AI chip for their cars?

The stock is finally back over $14 and rising. :woop: