Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

This one is real easy to answer: TN like the XG270HU or S2716DG gives you about a 1-2 ms average pixel-response-time advantage over a XB270HU IPS or PG279Q, no human being is going to notice the remotest difference there. 27" is becoming too large for a flat TN panel and you will want to be looking at it straight-on to avoid color shift. It's not the end of the world, but I did find it noticeable on a dual-screen setup, and IPS solves this problem with no real downside apart from being another $100 more expensive.

(more or less, TN panels are lying about their average response times while IPS are generally not... and VA are not lying about average, but have a huge problem with maximum response times)

That S2716G is also has a ton more RTC overshoot error than the XB270HU IPS making any response time advantage a hollow victory at best. But we have to keep that TN audiophile gaming myth alive because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's cathartic how an AMD fanboy admits just how terrible and counterproductive their echo chamber community is, even if its in a r/AMD manner.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol who still gives a poo poo about LN2

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't think this is the first time AT has posted huge discrepancies from other reviewers.

TR: All test systems were updated with the latest firmware and Windows updates before we began collecting data, including patches for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities where applicable. As a result, test data from this review should not be compared with results collected in past TR reviews.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dead Goon posted:

Anand Lal Shimpi left is what happened to AnandTech in general.

Can't blame him. Better to sell out to Apple as a 7+ figure/year salaryman than feeding off scraps from vendors and deal with obnoxious fanboys.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The only wildcard IMO is whether XFR2 is still maxed out on the lesser VRMs of the B-boards.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm curious how well a 2700X can undervolt at let's say 4GHz because 150W stock is too much for me but I'm sure I won't be able to find out when everyone is gonna YOLO their chips because OCing street creds

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 22, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Niiiice, one less obstacle to persuade my friend out of his 2500K.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

XFR2 isn't out of spec, though. PBO is. There's a lot to be said about getting a lot out of your chip without having to put it in danger plus void a warranty.

I only tried overclocking this 3770K chip a week ago, because I thought it's value had completely disappeared (haw haw, it's still selling for $250 good god almighty) and figured it was finally time to get my money's worth out of buying a K chip (which was only $10 or so back then) and an AIO cooler. I promptly created a whole bunch of WHEA errors that led to BSODs in Overwatch even though the chip was passing stability tests, and gave up and went back to stock because there's often a correlation between WHEA errors and chip degradation.

Some people don't want to risk that, and they especially don't want to risk it on hardware that's new. I never OCed a CPU until this one because I used to have to change my CPU every two years in the Pentium era anyway and it never made sense to overclock an old one versus buying the new hardware you'll need eventually. Also in those days new hardware had immediate noticeable benefits, and we've gone from "IE4 loads in under eight seconds now holy poo poo" to "I can't see any differences between my 8700K and my 4790K."

It's a crime not to take advantage of the NA Ebay CPU market who seriously are as dumb as bricks, where over here I will be lucky to sell my 4790K for $150 because people actually pays attention to cost-benefit ratios. Also good luck anyone finding P/Z S1155 mobos that aren't degraded by this point.

And yeah I definitely will be stocking more 16/32GB DDR4 for future AMD poo poo if we get 2016 prices ever again.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Iiiiiiiiiii hesitate to agree. Consoles are basically an APU, and if AMD can't rise to the task on the GPU side of the equation, what with Vega being an unmitigated disaster except at low core counts, and Navi not arriving before 2019-2020, it's still not looking hot.

My wild guess is NV is probably talking with Samsung's custom ARM division for the same reasons.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 23, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Those prices may be somewhat optimistic, but if they're around that it would basically crush the Pentium Gold + i3 8100 in that price range. A 80$ 4c/4t Ryzen in particular would render the entire Pentium Gold line moot for even the most budget- conscious builders.

Yadda yadda market segmentation, but it's kinda pointless when 2200G/2400G is there and 2600 non-X is already $200 and will be dropping more in the following months.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Theris posted:

This is good advice. If you want to watch someone who knows his poo poo talk about PC hardware, even if the presentation is kinda dry, watch Gamer's Nexus. If you want to see a dipshit do dumb things with PC hardware but in a reasonably entertaining way, watch Linus. Almost everyone else (I'm sure there's probably a couple occasionally worth watching) is about as entertaining as Gamer's Nexus and about as informative as Linus and I have no idea how they have an audience.

I find GN entertaining precisely because they are no-nonsense straight to the point without all the overdramatic cringey bullshit everyone on YT tries to pull these days.

And consumer PC hardware is just so slightly above reaction videos in the no-effort vlogging scale.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Nice, now all we need is a nice (or any) x470 mATX mainboard. I mean first generation Ryzen had an excuse, but not anymore.

but-but-but why would anybody buy X470 without the extra slots that nobody is going to use

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

Most of the testing I've seen on AM4 more or less shows that you're going to be limited by the chip before the VRM, unless you are doing crazy LN2 stuff or obsessed with eeking out the last 10mhz.

For example, AT recently tested the Asrock mITX X370 board with a 3x2 VRM and hit the same overclocks that the rest of the boards had been able to hit with their same sample chip.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12569/the-asrock-x370-gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-review

e: so i guess what im sayin' is if you arnet OCing, I wouldnt worry about it at all, and if you are... like i guess it matters a little maybe but i wouldnt spend much for it

The funny part is nobody really gave a crap about VRMs back in the FSB OCing days when chips are actually worth OCing with 50+% headroom

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/20.html

2700X OCing: Only 0.8% better overall in performance, worse gaming performance and 27W more power draw versus stock do-nothing XFR2.

11/10 will OC again because its not pointless yet

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I recalled 2GB DDR3 DIMMs in 2011-2012 was the price of maybe like 2 Mcdonald value meals. It was so low people didn't even bother to sell them secondhand, and Elpida died for our cheap RAM sins.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seamonster posted:

For the very first and possibly only time ever, those dumbass nuclear reactor comparisons on ayymd come close to having actual merit.

1.21GW TDP, the buttcoiner's wet dream

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

I fixed a bent pin with a mechanical pencil -- remove the lead and then the tip was the perfect tool to slide onto an individual pin and bend it back.

This was more than a decade ago so pins were bigger and with more space between them. But it might still work if you had a .5mm ultra fine rotring or something like that.

Use cheap / old-school thermal paste and the old-school minimal quantity application style. The newfangled pastes that 'cure' after heat have a number of good properties and advantages, but easy release is not one of them. If you're changing stuff out often enough that this is a concern, better to just accept the 1 degree extra heat and make removal easy on yourself.

(Personally I dislike curing pastes just because they're not shelf-stable.)

The common story was that mobo manufacturers like the PGA because it's cheaper and has less returns on their side, but couldn't you spec a socket to have pins but also a bracket retainer like the LGA types? Though that's also 25c extra cost just to prevent the occasional user fuckup.

I think the trick to avoid ripping the pinned CPUs out of the socket is to twist the HSF to unglue the TIM before pulling it away.

The LGA = more expensive story gotta be a bullshit excuse though. AMD should had used it for AM4 for the get go.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 25, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Ryzen 2600 non-X @ $160 after Newegg coupon code, courtesy Techreport:
https://techreport.com/news/33903/get-a-ryzen-5-2600-for-160-with-this-newegg-deal

RX580 8GB @ $300 with free Asrock AB350 board on Newegg too:
https://www.qksrv.net/links/1800524/type/am/https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-930-002

I would totally jumped if I weren't using 8700K now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yeah, keep believing that the opinion of some bloke named Kyle swayed OEMs more than their own bean counters who obviously hate money.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

If you use that same card on an intel system in one of the CPU driven PCIe slots (generally the two slots marked for graphics), it will have the same speed. The issue is that the motherboards with TB controllers built in hang them off of the South Bridge, like all the rest of Intel's storage. I guess if you do some crazy multi NVMe setup that might be a problem, but realistically it will never come up for actual humans.

Its also worth noting that one of the reason Intel does that is the south bridge is actually doing the HDCP work that the lovely cable companies demanded. When the rumors that AMD was going to get TB came up a while back, someone mentioned that HDCP was the stumbling block for AMD. I dont remember why though.

:lol: HDCP, lets make legal media consumption a lovely experience and then whine about why no one wants it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

With the 2600 dropping to $160 on sales I doubt anyone is gonna put those two high in the care meter.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How big is the real world difference on a 2600X between $100 standard 16-18-18-38 DDR4-3200 and $160 b-die CL14?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If I wasn't on a 8700K already I would have jumped on Newegg's 1700X + X370 for $150 so hard.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Hardware Unboxed did some testing with the Athlon 200GE and it'll throttle a 290X/RX480/1060 3G card, which means you should see similar differences in nearly everything you'd try to pair with a 200GE in the first place. Seriously, 2C/4T is very dead on desktop and the new minimum seems to be 4C/4T and optimum is 6C/12T.

I wondering just how big is that "I'm dirt poor but I also insist on not buying refurb/used" segment the 200GE is aimed at.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Huh, Youtubers will do any poo poo to grab every possible ounce of attention? That clearly never happened before in the history of mankind.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah things definitely are changing, just like 3-4 years ago people here were still recommending dual cores for some budget gamers and now 4/4 CPUs are starting to have issues in some games. There was definitely no concern from most people at the time I got my 6600k that the lack of hyperthreading would ever limit gaming performance, turns out that thinking was wrong.

Well I was recommending 4790K with a H/B mobo over OCing a Haswell i5 with a Z-board back in 2014, there were already a few games where the stock factory overclocked 4.2/4.4GHz 4790K beat OCed 4690K and yet people thought I was committing CPU heresy because "but-but-but OC IS EASY MAN AND WORTH IT"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Historically AMD has never been shy about cranking up their prices if they have something that will meet or beat Intel's stuff so there isn't much reason to expect them to keep their prices as low as they have so far.

Yup, AMD falling behind 9900K by like 5% is actually good news for price/performance.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-and-core-i3-8121u-deep-dive-review/7

tl;dr version: Intel's 10nm while interesting from a process design PoV, in its current iteration is a hot piece of garbage.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MaxxBot posted:

I mean if you have a product like the 2080 Ti which really does have no equal then sure but that's not really comparable to merely matching a competing product (9900k) which will have been out for 8 months at that point.

Most consumers aren't as desperate to upgrade CPUs compared to GPUs anyway.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seamonster posted:

Anybody got a clock for clock comparo between 2700x and 9900k?

Going by Cinebench, Intel IPC advantage is only 6.5%.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yup, using almost 50% more power than 14nm KBL at a mere 2.2GHz really inspires confidence for 10nm desktop

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
From my experience any fan that spins at 2000 rpm is pretty noticeable and the Prism peaks at 2700 rpm.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

spasticColon posted:

I actually don't want stagnation but I don't want to have to upgrade my rig every 2-3 years either. My rig before this one my C2D E8400 lasted me only three years but my current rig my 2500k@4.2GHz has lasted me almost eight years now and still runs every game I throw at it but some newer games don't run as good as they could because the CPU is finally starting to show its age.

R5 2600/B450/16GB DDDR4 is only ~$300 with deals and its still gonna take forever to become semi-obsolete in games. If you can't even afford that you have more serious IRL issues than PC gaming.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
For the same reasons, hopefully AMD is smart enough to design AM5 with hybrid DDR4/DDR5 support (preferably both on a same mobo) to steal more Intel's thunder.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The state of US last mile Internet access will consign Google's new plaything to their growing collection of "released and soon forgotten" consumer projects.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Unhappy Meal posted:

Worse its more audiophile snake oil, an Elfidelity Power Filter Card. Filter your pci/pcie (it's double sided!) power for smooth noise free audio. They also make fan, sata, and usb versions. Still haven't found any indication it does anything since most people are doing multiple more sensible things in addition.

Audiophile thought process: Gotta spend big $$$ to solve non-problems that doesn't exist outside of extreme worst case scenarios.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The standard answer is usually the NH-D15S (remember to get the version with the included AM4 mount kit).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I think Haswell was the last generation where every mobo wasn't drowned in XTREME GAMING labels outside of low-end.

I may be wrong here regarding Gigabyte's dual-bios but I feel its just a gimmick that creates more bugs than providing actual convenience.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MagusDraco posted:

From the sounds of things in the article Cerny wanted to put a SSD in the ps4 but they were too costly back then.

Just the sheer reliability improvement from HDDs to SSDs alone will save enough in warranty costs for Sony/MS to offset the slight SSD price premium versus HDDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
With heatpipes you already get most of the benefits of water cooling without the downsides other than bulk directly on the CPU.