Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alchenar posted:

Even though I can afford it, these prices have made me look at my still very much viable system, by long steam backlog, and made me go 'gently caress it, I can wait them out and watch for the discount bundles to start'.

to me games are already to the point when I would rather watch them streamed than loading them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

Over the lifetime of AM5 it probably doesn't make a difference. Game devs aren't gonna target PCIe 5 as a minimum spec when only 5% of people have it.

When new GPU tech comes out, the games are using the new whizbangs relatively soon because most of the time it's stuff that you can layer on top and make optional. You add ray tracing so the people with mondo GPUs all buy your game so they have something to play that uses their expensive toy. But you don't make it mandatory for commercial products because most of the audience can't use it.

The various things you can do with storage tech are AFAIK not so easy to add in as the "ultra storage" checkbox. Thus, the lack of games today that really see that much difference with even PCIe3 vs sata storage.

all the reasons why my inner consumerist fire for the latest PC tech has pretty much died

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Subjunctive posted:

There are no good AM5 mATX boards for sale in Canada, so I’m safe for a month or so.

with how big gpus are getting matx is becoming pointless anyway

imo there's little point to builds between compact standard layout ATX and tetris'ed ITX

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm curious does bitblocker uses TPM at all

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

The DRM in Farcry 6 was that bad, that it created really hard stutter to the point audio cut out. Farcry 5 flawlessly.

thats why the chinese gamers has a term called "legit version victim"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
its not even a close contest here when 13600K is barely more expensive than a 7600X (lmao) while the former is even cheaper as a platform with budget mobos

both are moot points to me since im not even remotely CPU bottlenecked by my icy cold 5600 driving a 3070

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 24, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ugh quote isnt edit

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lmao I can buy a Gigabyte Z690 AX D4 on amazon which is still cheaper than the cheapest B650 mobo, and the 13600K is head and shoulders above the 7600X

really planning to move a lot of Zen 4 product this year AMD

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mdxi posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-working-to-bring-cxl-technology-to-consumer-cpus

Looking forward to the PS6, accelerated by HBM4 and CXL2 storage. Preorders open just in time for 2029's pandemic season!

i hope you like 30 fps remakes

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

kliras posted:

one thing i learned from ifixit (the hard way) is that having great tools and materials only helps so much if the actual repair guide is mediocre

derbauer's delidding tool kinda feels the same way

pretty much no electronic product are worth repairing on your own now unless you do it all the time

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: My god, I peeked at reviews from the time, look at the computer idling at 160W stock, over 200W overclocked. Idle.

The X58 northbridge at 24W draws more power than most laptops at load

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
More and more people are realizing paying the 3/4 digit price of admission to play AAA games isn't worth it anymore versus watching them on streaming for $0. Me included.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Moore's law, which is a law about economics and not about CPUs being faster, is dead in spite of what people claim.

and we gonna get even more unoptimized turds after another from game studios crumbling under their own weight

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

movax posted:

And lol at $700 for that MSI motherboard. More expensive than the CPU, amazing.

i know singapore exactly isn't a big market, but on our largest online retailer platform the combined sales count for the entire 7xxx CPUs has stuck at 3 since launch

lol

while 13th gen intel CPUs are now at 95 sold

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 7, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

For when you didn’t want your tbred drawing a completely ludicrous 70W.

at least OCing those chips by ~50% was actually free

not "leaving muh free performance behind" by cranking 300W+ on CPUs with nearly zero headroom on a ludicriously overpriced mobo, a 2000W PSU and 12 case fans

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Drakhoran posted:

Anyone considering a budget AM5 build should maybe check motherboard reviews first.

when your non x3d 7xxx wasn't unwanted enough

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Inept posted:

Somehow gigabyte's $160 dollar board is shittier than when the previous versions cost $75

its like the manufacturers don't even want to make AM5 boards

i be surprised if all the AM5 mobos produced so far even outnumber a single B450M mortar

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

i don't remember but tbred was the super-orb generation, right? goddamn was that thing loud lmao

iirc that was strictly designed for pentium 3 and may risk breaking dies when used on S462

also some batches of the retail boxed tbred had the really good and quiet microfinned cooler

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We are coming up on almost 30 years of ATX now. We've needed a new ground-up motherboard spec for almost twenty of them.

I am glad for the death of PATA and the ribbon cables that embodied them. (Even if I did have a set of kickin' rad UV reactive sleeved round cables) Floppy drives are dead. 12VO will go to some length in remedying the 24-pin connector and processor 4/8 pin bullshit. I'm sure in a few years 12VHPWR teething issues will be a forgotten thing of the past. But we still don't have a standardized front panel connector, fan headers are scattered around the motherboard in the stupidest places, and yes, why do cars have a diagnostic port in ODB II, but computers don't?

we already removed the AT power connectors where every physically possible mating combination (at least 24 of them) will blow up the mobo except the correct one, what more do you want

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
before they crashed and burned by the mid-00s Abit mobos were by far the best for Slot 1/Socket 370, Socket A and 478

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

How about good ol' Diamond Flower International? DFI boards were pretty high end back in the day

only had their brief heyday in the socket 939 days

by the time core 2 rolled out hardly anyone is gonna spend $$$ on AMD K8s and pretty much every P965/P35 mobo had massive FSB OC headroom

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arivia posted:

"As you can guess all of these ports on the rear board don't really conform to any known ATX specification so ABIT ships a custom I/O panel with the board for the back of your case."

Amazingly forward thinking.

nothing that special when the back I/O plate is removable right from the very start of the ATX spec

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuturePastNow posted:

just validates my decision to never overclock anything

me in a comment on a video: custom water cooling for CPUs is utterly pointless when they are now heat transfer bottlenecked inside the die

very smart guy replying: you are just a pleb who can't afford to push 500W into a CPU :smug:

Desuwa posted:

Not sure I'd count EXPO as overclocking when things are advertised at those speeds. The manufacturers love to call it overclocking as a way of shifting responsibility when things go poorly (like this debacle) and being able to advertise things they can't guarantee.

i'm very shocked the entire mobo industry pulling the unsafe overvolting poo poo in the DDR4 days are still doing it in the DDR5 days

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

Unless they report something off the wall setting everything manually should work. Silly settings with voltages when translating XMP was a problem on am4 too but never quite so dramatically destructive. The solution on AM4 was always just to set the primary timings and frequency to match the XMP/EXPO profile by hand.

i never used xmp at all when pushing ddr4 OCs

auto ocing "standards" pushing unsafe voltages was a problem at least since the Intel 8th gen days, but the vendors just cant stop doing it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fabulousity posted:

In the meantime I can say the Lian Li 216 case is very nice to work with and feels like cheat mode building

i see u are new to this ODD-less form factor

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

is there a tl:dw version

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

mobo vendors might be a different story

this is gonna be great

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I especially liked the shout out to that one Biostar board with volts even higher than Asus

i think they went don't ask, don't tell on 1.4V+ VSOC in those offices

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i like how people in there gets surprised by "how could this also happen to my $700 AM5 halo-tier mobo?", as if :capitalism: weren't be happy picking enormous profit margins over delivering actual QC

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The motherboard guys were pulling similar shenanigans years ago as someone else noted. They didn't get any chips to blow up that time though and Intel put a stop to it before it turned into a real mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_AETO7Fn4

my old MSI z370m autopushed a somewhat insane 1.3V into the VCCSA with XMP on for a mere 3200C16

i don't want to know how much higher that voltage will get if the RAM was set faster, lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Doesn't look like they collaborated on anything at all :pwn:

that lone overworked BIOS engineer probably spent his entire time to get memory training that got exponentially more complicated in DD5 working than worrying about anything else

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

New Zealand can eat me posted:

In AMD's defense re: ProcHOT not working... with an AIO working properly it's pretty hard to get something like a 7950X up to 95C before it hits the PPT limit (142W?), they need to hire someone whose sole purpose is to do very wrong, absurd things on purpose and destroy unholy amounts of hardware.

ah yes, AMD, the famous impoverished kid that works in his mom's basement

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If that's directed at me, It was an agreement and a short list of names that would love to break bioses over their knees, repeatedly, and get paid for it.

a $24B/year company spending maybe like $100K/year on guys doing extreme CPU testing and generating good PR for is bad actually

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

New Zealand can eat me posted:

The least worst it's ever been was when DDR4 was new,

because intel 6/7th gen sucked hard enough to put people off DDR4

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
what's the best cheap B560 in terms of DDR5 OCing potential

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

runaway dog posted:

alright, this is kind of bullshit, I have like no confidence in this platform right now, I keep having problems and every time i do it's like is it the chip? is it the mobo? is it this exploding crap? like for instance, I keep getting this problem where my computer wont restart anymore, I right click start and hit restart and it just goes black like it's going to restart but everything in my pc just stays on and the only way to "restart it" is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds. it happened before and I couldn't figure it out so I reinstalled windows 11 and that fixed it but now it's back, and I have no idea, and this whole thing has just become a real loving ball of stress and I'd return the whole stupid platform if I wasn't worried this was going to be the straw that breaks the too many returns camel back on amazon and get my whole household banned. but yeah bitching on a comedy forum is definitely the way.

and hell, maybe I just fixed it, or maybe the gremlin is asleep, I guess thats the fun of it ha ha HA HA :laffo:

thanks for killing whatever little interest i had at a 7800X3D

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

5600X3D seems like a very weird product when the 5800X3D is $280.

Like if you want to buy your end cap AM4 cpu, you prolly want the last 2 cores to last you as long as possible. And if you want the best bang/buck upgrade for an old build, a 5600 is $119.

Is there a significant market in between? Maybe China focused? I dunno, seems like a strange late launch.

i have zero desire to upgrade from my existing 5600

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.9 was supposed to be out in May, I think.

No idea what the gently caress happened.

didn't we already know there's only one guy from each company working on the BIOSes from the overvoltage saga

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BobHoward posted:

I don't know what Baldur's Gate's deal is (never really looked at it, because ehhhh D&D), but planetary / galaxy scale simulation games like HoI, Stellaris, and Rimworld loving big caches is not a surprise. Big sims have to walk through big in-memory databases of all the simulated objects quite a lot, so fitting more of that DB into cache can speed up the sim a ton.

BG3 isn't even a mechanically complex game and the graphics don't look impressive from a technical standpoint either so therefore muh ease of development

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arzachel posted:

Even the average mid tower case feels pointlessly bloated for a purely gaming system when the NR200 exists tbh

i tried and later gave up on "large enough to fit a full size GPU" ITX long ago

they dont really save much space, and that's still pointless at the end of the day when they still need masses of cables plugged from a fixed position anyway

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 14, 2024