Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dual processor boards with 16c/32t processors. More cores. All of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, speaking of paste, remember that you may need to adjust your paste technique a bit, with how the die is.

Rice grain isn't going to cover the entire thing. One dot over each die instead, maybe?

I prefer the Jayz method, myself

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kirtar posted:

Do we know the orientation of that? I'm assuming it's aligned with where we see gaps in the pins on the underside

Look at the bottom right corner

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SamDabbers posted:

Ryzen owns for multitasking :awesome:

Two separate x264 encodes (nice'd), each pinned to all eight threads of its own CCX, browser, irc, email, torrents, and a steam game running simultaneously.
Everything is buttery smooth.

This picture pleases me

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drakhoran posted:

Since we're linking to Videocardz.com, anyone feel like a 48 core "Starship" chip on 7nm next year?

TRANSCODE ALL THE STREAMS

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sormus posted:

Not to rip on WCtech or whatever, but: "Amazingly, this CPU is only rated at 155W, 5 watts less than Intel’s upcoming Core i9-7920X 12 core flagship Skylake X CPU."

Whole 5 watts, surely this is a marvel of power efficiency.
*turns on xfr*

160/12 = 13.3w per core
155/16 = 9.68w per core

Pretty decent difference in TDP, anyway.

e: So it doesn't get lost in the last thread

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 15, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The 1080 is not mid tier

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe in a rich man's world.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is at its launch price, yes.

And I say that as someone who owns a water cooled 1070

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...And a 300+ launch price is not mid-tier.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has GPU passthrough gotten good enough to play games in a Windows VM reliably? My friend keeps insisting it's still got bad bugs in general

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eames posted:

Oh god that list looks like their PR department is now registering random trademarks to generate "hype"

PS: dibs on Hyzenberg

AMD is the one who knocks

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I look at my laptop with an Intel CPU and AMD GPU and laugh every time :smug:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I miss those :smith:

This is terrible, imagine how much better it would be if the robot had boobs

Just screenshot Firestrike!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beautiful Ninja posted:

A significant portion of that is bug fixing, Ryzen + Nvidia combos apparently performed extremely poorly in the game in DX12 pre-patch, far below what you'd expect compared to other games. There is some speculation that Nvidia's drivers don't handle Ryzen properly so I wonder if Nixxes worked around it or if it was a Rise of the Tomb Raider engine bug this whole time. There were some generic CPU related fixes as well that should have improved both Intel and AMD performance in this game with this patch as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review,4987-6.html - You can see Rise of the Tomb Raider DX12 results here, you can see that Ryzen was performing really out of whack here, the 1700X was barely faster than an FX-8350.

Didn't Adored do a whole thing on this problem a month ago?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Flandre_1507/status/869663506743914497

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vega is a concept, an ideal we strive towards. There is no Vega, because Vega represents our yearnings and struggles toward the future. Vega is pure, and will forever be beyond reach.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

Then tell me why there's 18 hours of static?!?!?!

It represents the fog and confusion of life, the aimlessness of our meanderings as we search for the way to Vega

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Take an 8-core Ryzen 7, put Windows into high-performance mode to force it to clock up, then look at your CPU utilization percent while you're at your desktop. That's how much load you'll see during a game.

Like, how high do you think it is? 5% constant load? Probably less I'd think. The reality is that Chrome now throttles background tasks, etc. Unless you've got antivirus running or something, the rest of the system just doesn't eat that many cycles.

Having 16 threads available is already plenty to schedule minor background tasks on. The impact from going to 16 to 32 threads available for that is going to be nil, and the drop in clockrates (again, comparing a 4 GHz Ryzen 7 vs a 3 GHz threadripper) is going to negatively affect game performance.

Ryzen 7 is already leaning way far to the "lots of cores" side of things. Going further is not going to help game performance.

My background usage with chrome, discord, Skype, etc. Etc. On a 2600k is usually 20-30%.

I have too many chrome tabs...

On a fresh boot, it's usually 5-10%

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

That is ridiculously high for no applications running, you might be a botnet. Right now with a 2500k running Chrome, a Webex meeting I am not paying attention to, Skype, and Outlook I am at 6%. Most of that is Webex.

By "fresh boot" I mean "I just rebooted and started all the programs I use."

SinineSiil posted:

I feel something is very wrong with your computer. On my computer with Discord, Steam, Spotify and Chrome with lots of tabs running and nothing new loading I have 5-10% CPU usage. And while idling it has just 0-2% usage.
It's mobile i7 though so more cores.

I have an inordinate amount of chrome tabs, along with just a bunch of stuff running in the background, so I'm not particularly bothered. I have been meaning to do a fresh install though, just because this Windows install's been upgraded all the way from when W7 was the new hotness, and been across several drives...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone has different computers!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's also a photoshop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SinineSiil posted:

Are you sure?

What, you think it's actually possible that there's a picture of "Threadripper II" and it's the size of a motherboard?

Also I can tell from the pixels and having seen quite a few shops in my time :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

As they should be. The question isn't if Intel will react, but rather how much.

So far, results aren't promising.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Intel really was pricing based on what the market will bear, and not as low as they can, and there's a large difference between those values, wouldn't Intel have been able to simply respond with lower pricing? They wouldn't necessarily have to design new chips to compete.

Instead they're releasing x299, and they're not likely to engage in any price drops from their announced prices, right?

That leads me to believe Intel can't price their products to push AMD out of any market share gains.

What am I missing?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At what point do we as outsiders say "Intel can't" instead of "Intel won't"? And does it make much of a difference either way if the end result is high prices on a platform that doesn't make sense?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough, I suppose. It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out either way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Two computer semi-illiterate friends have Zen systems and have reported no problems.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Trump won't pay them for their work, and AMD will be dead for reals.

AMD's design also builds the wall, they win by default.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/xNAMxZgvves

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Feed the cube

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecow posted:

I'll rip and tear anyone who thinks threadripper isnt loving kicking rad

:yeah:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They pronounce it RyeZen in their videos.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have the sudden desire for a 2x200mm radiator.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, or moderate discounting. That would also solve the problem completely.

Gotta make back all that wasted mobile money

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How did Intel respond to accusations of just gluing a CPU into a socket?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But I want to build a custom loop!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just give me a white PCB with white slots and I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

I wasn't aware of much of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

I may end up an AMD "fan" just because the only other choice is Intel. I wonder if they'll do it again, so far it seems to have paid off.

TheCoach posted:

Yeah I always sorta knew intel did shady poo poo in mid 2000s or some poo poo but MAN is this nuts.
Like a thousand yard stare nuts...

Christ tell me about it. I knew they did some poo poo, but not on this long and pervasive a level.