Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

Linus did this video where he used a 10 foot?! PCIe extension cable to hook up a video card and it worked. COOL! I would have never guessed.

He did a video sending HDMI through water as a conductor (via some sort of compression device)

Some interesting things happen over at Linus drilling tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The last third is google, desperately, in the hopes that someone else has already done the legwork and documented it in detail, only to find a post from 2006 that details your exact problem right down to reproducability, and then has "edit: nm i fixed it" appended to the bottom, with no further posts from that account thereafter.

i'll pm u the fix

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The situation is that basically every other fab decided to share resources to get to "7nm" while Intel, alone, struggles with their 10nm, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Pro and the XBOX are DSi or n3DS.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

PCs were also rapidly improving at the time, and relatively affordable. Late in the 360/PS3 generation had incredibly powerful, nice desktops that could be built for ~$600 or $500.

Because of the GPU price increase, GPUs still cost more than they did 2 years ago for the same performance, and even then that generation wasn't a huge improvement over the one before it. RAM is expensive as heck too, costs more per GB than 2009, almost a decade ago!

The cost of 4x4gb DDR3 in 2011 when I built my computer is about the same price for DDR4 today. I remember decent 2x8GB packs being ~200 USD.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm unironically considering upgrading to 2x16gb sticks next year so I can expand to 64gb and not upgrade until 2035

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Plus enough time has passed that no one remembers the cringe of epic

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I built my 2600k computer, I "knew" what the specs would be for my replacement. I wanted roughly "double" the computer I'd built. I didn't expect to be so "spot on" with my prediction, or that it would take three or four times as long before I'd do it.

2011 computer:
4x4gb ram

Nebulous future computer specs:
8 core processor
32gb ram

Actual computer next year:
8 core (or better?) Ryzen 2 or 8 core (or better?) Intel offering
32-64gb ram

I guess it's a win but it's also disappointing. There are tradeoffs to everything.

e:

Oh man, these RAM prices

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 26, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

metaxus posted:

AMD RGB is best RGB Bro... Is beeeeesst RGB... Bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2SuR93l5c

If you can't trigger seizures with your windowed PC, you're doing it wrong.

I feel like Eichenwald is suing this video already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wow, so I guess they are going with the single-channel-per-CCX thing?

Might not be as bad as people figure since iirc memory is attached by Infinity Fabric anyway? Be interesting to see how it performs, I'm sure for a lot of workstation things it don't matter anyway.

Sent from my iPad posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

quote:

At the AMD press event at Computex, it was revealed that these new processors would have up to 32 cores in total, mirroring the 32-core versions of EPYC. On EPYC, those processors have four active dies, with eight active cores on each die (four for each CCX). On EPYC however, there are eight memory channels, and AMD’s X399 platform only has support for four channels. For the first generation this meant that each of the two active die would have two memory channels attached – in the second generation Threadripper this is still the case: the two now ‘active’ parts of the chip do not have direct memory access. This technically adds latency to the platform, however AMD is of the impression that for all but the most memory bound tasks, this should not be an issue (usually it is suggested to just go buy an EPYC for those workloads). While it does put more pressure on the internal Infinity Fabric, AMD ultimately designed Infinity Fabric for scalable scenarios like this between different silicon with different levels of cache and memory access.