Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you didn't have a dolby digital speaker system in your bedroom/dungeon and an nforce 2 amd setup then you might as well just quit computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's from 2000 still. THX > Dolby anyway (back then at least).

Though I had P3 not AMD at the time right before the Athlon came out so eh, missed that.

The big deal with nforce2 audio is it did real time dd5.1 ENCODING

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Presents purchase order to CEO with the words EPYC on it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Scarecow posted:

Isnt the rumoured b2 step ment to fix these issues?

Don't call it a comeback

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

underage at the vape shop posted:

Crosspost from the PC building thread just incase you fellas don't read that:

Am I supposed to just force it super hard? Does anyone know?

The metal bit should be completely in the heatsink area, it shouldn't be resting on top of one of the fins.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Hot air rises up, so front mounted is still slightly better.

Hot air doesn't rise fast enough to overcome fan pressure. Hot air rising and cold air falling is really moot inside a pc case unless its fanless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arivia posted:

what jay is perfect in every way shape and form and how dare you imply that the guy who once drilled through a motherboard ever does anything wrong

In his defense those holes are supposed to be able to be pushed through. Asrock just did a poo poo job.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

What does medical grade mean.. all I've ever seen gets used only once and then thrown away :D I guess some places have a need for multi-use connectors too...

They dont leak i guess. Someone found them on a supply site and they cost about $1 each .

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

I see AMD is embracing Intel's nonsense model names.

At least it follows a "higher numbers are faster or have more cores" rule.

Cause that totally wasn't obvious from R3, R5, and R7, x399 chipset,

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eames posted:

Wonder if he also got the Motherboard, PSU, RAM, SSD and Cooler. Why not mention it? :thunk:

The TR pre-launch so far makes Intel look pretty cheap. Just a quick reminder, they didn't even bother sending naked SL-X review samples to the EU press and here's AMD shipping 250 full review systems with that insanely over-engineered retail packaging that includes a branded torque torx wrench color matched to the carrier plate. :lol:

Its not like intel doesn't have a history of sending out elaborate press kits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHQDF2BDeI

These people also got ram and boards and all that poo poo as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So take it off

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Man 1900x looks sweet

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Threadripper starts at $599

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

redeyes posted:

With all those PCIe lanes, who gives a F about thunderbolt. Apple can use it for their garbage with no expansion. Maybe PCs can go back to being highly expandable self contained boxes. The foofoo mobile warriors can play with tunderbolt dongles and whatever.

Thunderbolt isn't an apple thing.

Professionals use thunderbolt for equipment.

No matter how cheap amd makes a 32 core cpu if it doesn't have thunderbolt its a no go for groups of people.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

Are these the same professionals that are locked into the mac trashcan?

You can buy thunderbolt 3 pc's.

Unless their equipment is mac only ive seen a number of people moving to TB3 pc's.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Measly Twerp posted:

What are these people doing that requires Thunderbolt?

Professional audio equipment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Eyochigan posted:

I recorded the prices on Newegg.ca from yesterday.

$1,019.99 1920X
$1,269.99 1950X

today,

$1,099.99 1920X
$1,369.99 1950X

WHY.

Because they are a business and not a charity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If a technology doesn't work for my use case i dont see a reason it exists.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Measly Twerp posted:

What about a PCIe Thunderbolt card? Do those work when low latency is required?

There is definitely pro audio gear that uses Thunderbolt at the high end, but there's actually a lot more that uses USB.

PCIe thunderbolt cards still require motherboard support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That sucks. I was in that situation with phenom 2 and used an eBay bios chip to fix it.

Lots of motherboards still have replaceable bios chips. They are typically 8 pin chips.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Non competes are not inforcable iirc

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nvidia wouldn't get x86 so there would be no point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Edit I'm wrong. Both parties agreement is terminated if one is sold.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CPUs should come in crates

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

isndl posted:

What did Ryzen come in? I'm not sure 'box' accurately describes it.

I mean like a blind bag

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

If you told me in 1997 that new PCs in 2017 would boot with ANSI logo graphics by American Megatrends (and that they were still a thing and still ripping off the triforce) there is no way in hell I would have ever believed you.

Ripped off the game that came out a year after the company was formed...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

redeyes posted:

They are PWM controlled. It's quite possible to make them silent. I just can't get the control-curve to my liking. The fans themselves though, amazing fans.

PWM doesn't mean they will be quiet. PWM fans have a pwm range that they work in. A 4000 rpm fan could work from 3000-4000rpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

redeyes posted:

These work fine at like 400rpm. Just my mobo doesn't give me enough control to keep them at a low speed range.

Get an aquaero