Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Took the plunge and got the 1600X. This will be my triumphant return to PC gaming. I tried to do the console thing for a while, but I can not play any FPS with a controller for the life of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Those of you that bought ryzen, how long did it take you guys to get your AM4 upgrade bracket? I'll finally be getting the last of my components today, but thermaltake is giving me the run around. I'm impatient damnit. :argh:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

A month for the corsair bracket, but they should have stock now.

Yipes, that's quite a while. The problem for me is that I have no idea whether thermaltake has shipped the bracket or even if it's in stock or what. I can't log into their website, even though I'm using the username they gave me. Customer service is as clueless as I am, they say their servers have been down, but that was 3 days ago. Now they don't even answer the phone.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

If the thermaltake AIO is made by asetek, the corsair or nzxt adaptors may fit. Corsair will ship the bracket free without proof of purchase, NZXT requires proof of purchase. I got the bracket before the AIO, just waiting on a sale now :shobon:

It's the Nic C5 air cooler. I got it because it looked like the only one that had the bracket in stock. Oh well, I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

e: I probably should have gone with the 1600 that comes with the stock cooler, but I don't have a lot of overclocking experience so I thought the 1600x would be a better choice.

e2: Just checked the website this morning and now it says the item is out of stock. Poop.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Okay, I'm a noob at overclocking, but I've OC'd my 1600X to 3.9GHz @ 1.43V and I'm getting some conflicting results as far as temps go. HWMonitor reports that I'm idling at 53-60C which I thought was a little high. When stress testing in prime95 it jumps to 90C+ it even jumped as high as 97C before I freaked out and stopped the test. I dropped the voltage and clock speed several times all the way down to 1.38V but I could never get it to idle lower than 55 and temps hung around 88-91 under load.

I read through this thread and thought maybe I should check the thermal paste like some of you recommended, but I noticed that the BIOS was reading 31-33C at idle which is about 20 degrees cooler than what HWMonitor reports. After a google search some people recommended using Ryzen Master and it's reporting the same 31-33C temps at idle. Im running prime95 right now and it's staying pretty stable at 73C.

I'm guessing this is just a problem with HWMonitor? My motherboard is Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ryzen has a 20 degree delta built into it for something. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a result of that (hwmonitor being ignorant)

Okay, that's good. I just wanted to make sure. I almost died of a heart attack when it hit 97 degrees lol.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Drakhoran posted:

More specifically, Ryzen processors that ends with an X reports temperatures that are 20 degrees hotter than they actually are. It presumably has something to do with the eXtended Frequency Range thingy they have, but I don't think AMD has given any details.

Level1 techs made a video where they theorized about it if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoE1s0pqjv0

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

NerdsMcGee posted:

I had a stick of my Skylake-used Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8GB kit die, so I'm in the market for new RAM again...I was only able to get these to 2666 on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. Should I be looking to stay with Corsair or should I be shopping around for something else? I have ~150 budgeted for RAM, and don't mind "only" 16GB.

What BIOS version are you using? I have the same motherboard with version F6 and was able to get my G.Skill Flare X up to 3200MHz using XMP no problem. I wasn't able to do it with F5.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2017