Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheFluff posted:

Why have exclusives anymore when people buy the console anyway? The point of having exclusives was first to sell the console, then it was to tie people to your ecosystem, but now there's so much accumulated history they don't need to do that anymore. The product is more than sticky enough already. Also, AAA games are so horrifyingly expensive to develop now that you absolutely need the biggest addressable market possible, so from the developer's point of view agreeing to be exclusive is a worse deal than ever.

You underestimate the power of "FIRST!".

I am a sclerotic gamer that tends to buy games two, three years after they've come out, but even I fall victim to wanting to enjoy the zeitgeist of that initial shared discovery period.

poo poo, we got entire forums dedicated to extrombulating about games at length specifically for that purpose, and for anyone else who comes along to the game afterwards. (no, that's not a real word, I can't remember the word that I am thinking of, but it does end in '-ulating'.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Leaked bench hints that the next GPD device may use a R7 7840U

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We are coming up on almost 30 years of ATX now. We've needed a new ground-up motherboard spec for almost twenty of them.

I am glad for the death of PATA and the ribbon cables that embodied them. (Even if I did have a set of kickin' rad UV reactive sleeved round cables) Floppy drives are dead. 12VO will go to some length in remedying the 24-pin connector and processor 4/8 pin bullshit. I'm sure in a few years 12VHPWR teething issues will be a forgotten thing of the past. But we still don't have a standardized front panel connector, fan headers are scattered around the motherboard in the stupidest places, and yes, why do cars have a diagnostic port in ODB II, but computers don't?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 15, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CBD Corndog posted:

yeah, someone get Stebe a forums account and link him this page so he can feel vindicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

lol, I missed that video. Steve is right.

edit: AND ALL THIS loving MOTHERBOARD ARMOR. loving WHY.

Josh Lyman posted:

Bring back 7 segs

At this point, why. I dream of a diag port that I can plug a cable into, maybe on the other end is my phone with a diagnostic app with other useful utilities built into it.

Or fine, make the standardized diag port, and then you have the option of either plugging in a little circuitboard with a few MB of non-volatile memory to store logs on that you can use on any motherboard with a port, with hexcode readout and maybe a few extra buttons for quick CMOS clear. (because that's another loving thing that motherboard manufacturers have been doing, skipping out on including jumpers for CMOS reset, and then placing the jumper for that underneath the GPUs. Thank god I have an altoids tin FULL of the little fuckers, salvaged from dead hard drives and older motherboards so they have the extra little plastic tab to make them easier to yank. I have picked up the trick of wiring the case's reset button into two-pin CMOS clear jumpers to make my life easier while I'm diagnosing a problem, BUT EVEN CASE MANUFACTUERS ARE SKIPPING OUT ON THE RESET BUTTONS THESE DAYS so I have a reset switch on some leads that I salvaged out of a case specifically for this purpose.)

Or, you can plug in a cable that goes to an app on your phone that logs, reads the error codes, a detailed description of what it means, possible remediation steps, and a more advanced "Unbrick My BIOS" functionality. Just being able to evacuate logs onto an internet-connected device so you can send it to someone else that might be able to help you? <chefkiss>

I don't loving know.

All I know is that a boot code on its own is sometimes is no more informative than a blink or beep code.

God I loving hate ATX so much.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 16, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was it ASUS or ASRock that shipped with stupidly sticky substance that shredded itself when you sought to strip the sticker off the RAM slots?

edit: Agh, alliterative associations inadequately apprehended afore allusions by aught hombre.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 22, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Backblaze provides reliability reports for the drives they use: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2022/

maybe seagate were secretly trying to bring down Huawei from inside with their lovely spinning rust

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
All these great motherboards bringing back great memories.

And my dumb rear end was stuck with Soyo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
time to buy new one and return the new one under the guise of whichever one cost more.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I have no idea, but I would be utterly unsurprising to learn that Intel has some kind of patent.

Thermals. Intel and AMD have a patent share agreement that stem from x86-64 licensing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

New Zealand can eat me posted:

In AMD's defense re: ProcHOT not working... with an AIO working properly it's pretty hard to get something like a 7950X up to 95C before it hits the PPT limit (142W?), they need to hire someone whose sole purpose is to do very wrong, absurd things on purpose and destroy unholy amounts of hardware.

...1usmus, Buildzoid, Kingpin, at least one of those guys is looking for a job.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

New Zealand can eat me posted:

It's criminal that buildzoid has to pay for any of his hardware. He's such a treasure trove

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The idea here is that all of the other limitations were working and this is the first generation where they hit those before they hit the thermal ones.

If that's directed at me, It was an agreement and a short list of names that would love to break bioses over their knees, repeatedly, and get paid for it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PCWorld podcast, talking about exploding chips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyclSNALSU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

My interpretation: Moore's Law isn't dead, but it's in the hospital in the ICU on life support. The way that the semiconductor industry navigates the next few process nodes will determine whether or not it actually dies, or if it gets discharged from the hospital to go back into hospice care at home.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
GN followup to exploding X3D chips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNi3YNJXbY

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Final GN video on ASUS dropped, it's a *spicy* one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKzKbqxa0A

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

runaway dog posted:

eh I have the opposite experience, when I built my 4790k system I got my fingernail hooked on the pins of the mobo and bent like 10 pins which I then bent back with like a pen or a pocket knife, was freaking out but it ended up working fine, I even oc'd the cpu a lot.

Then on my 8700k I got a bunch of thermal paste on the the bottom of the cpu all over the pads and I cleaned it with some iso and swabs but it was never truly clean again but I never had problems with that one either same story with the ocing and in that instance i was glad the chip wasnt pga. all a bit anecdotal though, I also own razer products that havent self destructed, life is chaos.

agree about the bit about using the epyc sled design its really slick

Bending the pins up is less-bad than crushing them down into the socket, at least you can be assured that the pins aren't doing the "you didn't bend the pins back up enough and now they're not contacting but you have no way to telling" thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wonder, just a little bit, if we might not be better off going back to planar transistors. Increase the area of a chip to make cooling it a little easier, but no, gotta pack as many chiplets into a wafer as possible

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kliras posted:

anyone taken street fighter 6 for a spin? the thing's doing the weirdest things to my cpu, it's probably some weird optimization or the drm - or both

I am almost certain there is a tiny memory leak, was seeing some slowdown after playing world tour for about six hours.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol hell yeah. This is gonna cause so much malding.

I don't know *why*. By now, anyone with half a brain knows that AM5 had those new platform teething issues, and if they wanted Starfield that bad, they'd just buy it outright.

I can't imagine a free copy of Starfield being a worthwhile compulsion to move off literally anything else to AM5.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The worst of it should have already been shaken out by Intel by this point, then it's just specific architecture peculiarities.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kliras posted:

ok i'll bite: how the hell does the mobile cpu naming scheme work? i see they're at least using a 7000 system that might actually correspond to the desktop generation this time around

They literally gave out decoder rings when 7000 series was announced for this purpose.

Note that this does not preclude them doing wack-rear end poo poo like releasing Zen 3/3+ products in 2023 and them hoping that you see the "7" and forget that it doesn't work like Intel and fail to realize that it's not Zen 4: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-7535u

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

It's not just less cache. I saw a neat article about it, a whole lot of what makes them compact is just removal of "extra" space. Some of that means that the compact cores have to run at lower frequencies, due to signal interference between components that are now closer together, and also power density.

But another part is actually wasted space, because the first run of the design is more modular and "blocky" with all the various sub-components. Makes the design and fab prototyping a lot faster when you chop stuff up into highly partitioned modules.

So I don't know if there will ever be an AMD CPU that uses both normal and compact at the same time. It seems likely that the C version will always be a later follow-up to the standard core, analogous to the old tick-tock cycle. The reason they can squish it down is because they've got complete understanding of how the base model worked.

Wendell from Level 1 seems to think that they *can* package a Zen chiplet and a ZenC chiplet together and completely sidestep all the problems that Intel has with P/E switching, and that they should largely present themselves as homogenous to the OS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquzak69LOI

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Dammit! My 7800X4D didn't qualify because it was Amazon Warehouse, if only I had checked the thread sooner

:negative:

i got some bad news for you, hombre, you might have gotten a chinese knockoff

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD Phoenix2 CPU die shot featuring Zen4/Zen4c architectures has emerged

https://twitter.com/BusAlexey/status/1700534630481310003

....Does it feel like they kind of just.... obsoleted Mendocino with their own product?

Like, 7520U is 4c/8t, Radeon 610M, and 15W. This.... can pretty much slot into that same niche, but better all around.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 11, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, THIS looks like it might be the next Steam Deck killer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6WtTUf-30

Take one Framework mainboard, build into an enclosure with controllers, and you've got a steam deck you can upgrade or hand-me-down hardware into.

A ROG Ally is already $700, and the AMD 7840U Framework mainboard is also $700... but upgradable and replacable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
3200 was the number you were aiming for, and the memory controller on my 1000-series degraded over time. Only ever used the XMP profile.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

If AMD ever makes an APU die with 3D vcache on it, 100% of them be going in mobile gaming handhelds like the Ally. They see desktop APUs as the value products.

Mmmmm.... disagree. Figure them to show up in Instinct MI APUs first, and then get binned down to the consumer market for something like Steam Deck 2.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Grey fingertips are a sign of diligent work.

or aluminum oxide

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I, for one, am totally down with this miraculous resurgence of Oculink.

https://liliputing.com/minisforums-mini-pc-with-a-70w-ryzen-7-7840hs-chip-and-63-gbps-oculink-port-now-available-for-479-and-up/

Kinda makes me regret buying the Minisforum B550.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

feeding 70 Watts to a 7840HS should show us how the upcoming desktop APUs will perform

i am not expecting too much out of it, realistically speaking, the limiting factor for a mini PC without dedicated GPU these days is what the igpu can handle, and iirc, that's still a 780M in the 8000 series.

Which, I mean, I guess it's fine, but at the same time, I was kind of hoping for igpu improvements to keep pace with their dgpu silicon, or what's the point.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Assuming they could lift their head out of the pile of cocaine they're swimming in face-first long enough to notice.