Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
8ghz rams when, geil???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's absolutely criminal that ecc isn't mandatory in 2018 yet under all specs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

My local microcenter went from 8 1920x+taichi in stock to 0 on saturday between 10am and noon at $913 for the combo.

looks like amd marketing finally got the loving hint eh?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can't make Intel ME jokes anymore :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
open source all the hardware and software

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

Intel hitjob?
close
https://twitter.com/cynicalsecurity/status/973599549745979392

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The exploits either exist or they don't

please read the loving thread

https://twitter.com/cynicalsecurity/status/973596410896683008

the "exploits" are "just run this as admin"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, slightly better than haswell I think

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I love that they have a streamer benchmark page and that it confirms everything I assumed about streaming on ryzen (i.e. it works great)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad we're back in the "overclock your rams" age :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
intra-ccx

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there isn't going to be a brand new gpu arch from nvidia or amd ever again, stop dreaming lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Have they figured a way to avoid cooking the bottom die, because that's always been the biggest issue with stacking dies.

:same:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, am going to be super glad when overclocking is dead, because buying a chip that can do 37ghz but running it at 35 just feels like leaving money on the table for no reason, but on the other hand I don't want to spend 6 hours figuring out what freq it'll top out at so if the chipmaker does that bit for me that's better as far as I'm concerned.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The most hilarious thing about bulldozer is that apparently it aged better than sandy bridge? Weren't there benchmarks recently showing that in brand new games, i7-2600k is just slightly ahead of bulldozers? I might be misremembering.

It's only about 7 years too late in getting there, but I found it funny. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
uh yeah. it was probably that, sorry

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that picture owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm dying holy poo poo

this is the best

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
still better than xenon

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same, but hopefully this kicks 16 cores another notch down in price :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i scrolled down to comments and now i'm just loving mad :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wcccccftech: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Flagship 32 Core, 64 Thread 4.00 GHz CPU Detailed and Benchmarked - Overclocks Up To 4.12 GHz Across All Cores on High-End Corsair AIO Liquid Cooler
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-32-core-64-thread-cpu-specs-performance-overclock-leak/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1.21 jiggawatts.

which is somehow still less than intel's thing that needs a chiller lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:five:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The cursor thing was present on windows over many manufacturers/drivers (even since before the duopoly) for me. I've never seen it on any other OS though. :shrug:

If nvidia and intel make a workaround for some bullshit microsoft hosed up that's really nice of them, but ultimately it's still microsoft's fault, and good on MS for finally fixing their poo poo I guess?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This time they already threw it, and it has "lol" written on the side.

it's this and it owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1080Tis are starting to hit ebay at 400.

Gonna upgrade my 980ti with a 200bux 1080ti at the end of the year hopefully :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
4K content keys actually took a little while to get leaked, I was getting a bit impressed :v:

Of course, now that ring -2 on unpatched intel cpus is exploitable, you can probably just find and dump any current and future keys, lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Publishers of games that can be beaten offline keep adding more and more copy protection, but it’s also gotten to the point where you see legitimate owners bitching about the overhead. It rendered Assassin’s Creed Origins unplayable on less than 8 threads.

I'm going to argue people should keep stealing games that do this until they take a hint or stop making them. I've been arguing it since the early 00s when copyprotection literally broke people's hardware on a few occasions lol.

Then again the only high budget games I've played in the last ~10 years are also online ones I can play with friends, and those don't need DRM since you log into their servers to play in the first place like you said.

Also I don't think talking about jailbreaks gets you banned on SA.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I hope I can talk my boss into buying a 2990 for the renderbox we really need at work, that's absolutely hilarious value.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it's going to be very lovely for a lot of workloads because of the bad ram channel situation, but for encoding poo poo it's just about perfect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Almost everything ever is memory latency sensitive. :confused:

Unless your use case is running cinebench, you'll see a noticeable hit going from 2x2950 to 1x2990.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the rumors of 6/8-core CCXes for Zen 2 are true, a two-die Threadripper based on that would be more interesting probably.

Yeah definitely, but I need that machine 6 months ago, so... :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

Direct benchmark side-by-side:

All numbers in the wild right now should be taken with a huge spoon of salt, because microsoft is loving something up. Yes, it's phoronix, but numbers are numbers and their windows numbers seem to be roughly on par with anandtech's: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows

Microsoft *really* needs to get its poo poo in order here, jesus christ.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have it on pretty good authority that epyc2 is going to be 8x8 cores and also a +1 something else. Is there anything that +1 thing could be besides a gpu?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drakhoran posted:

According to everyone's favorite scotsman, Rome will have eight 7nm chiplets with cores tied together with a 14nm uncore chip.

This is interesting, thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a problem isolated to AMD either, i've had tons of lovely problems with nvidia gpus too, because they report device IDs modified by OEMs. And then you have to disable driver signing or run ancient drivers that don't support poo poo, yay.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

I have it on pretty good authority that epyc2 is going to be 8x8 cores and also a +1 something else. Is there anything that +1 thing could be besides a gpu?

:smug: