Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's how patents work, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

having lots of cores is nice because you can watch all the lines in top :)
fyp
realtalk though, I bought a 3950x a couple years ago and it's loving amazing. i don't load it as much anymore these days and will probably upgrade to 5800x3d when 7800x3d kills its price, but it's still really really nice to be able to just ssh home and run something at 4.4ghz and 32 threads for work when I want to and wait a couple hours less because all the cheap 16core epycs at work top out at 2.4ghz :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

Got a weird one here. These are synthetic benchmark numbers, but they are backed up by what I see in real-world workloads:

As expected, the 5950X clocks and scores higher (by 25%) in single-thread. But then the 3950X beats it in multicore, by a smaller margin (10%).

They're using the same memory and the same mobo. Any ideas on what could account for this?

is it possible your 5950x is throttling and the freq on your bench is only max freq not avg?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lamentable dustman posted:

I had not heard of CXL before, seems cool as heck. Whole package looks like a game changer for AMD.

Truga posted:

speaking of ram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsw4G5j0IWo
good poo poo coming down the pipeline
with CXL and solid-state "ram" we might get instant-on computing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

It's stupid good for engineering simulation stuff. The reporting from back when those came out was that all the high-performance computing providers who sell time for that type of thing were all upgrading to v-cache epycs as fast as they could, because the speedup was big enough to pay for the hardware in relatively short order.
yep.

one of my hpc friends already has genoa-x on backorder, says one of his biggest customers are some biology companies that are using machine simulation to simulate their poo poo and predict ~80% speed increase from it lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't you just run the gpu on x8? if the difference between pcie3 and 4 is inside margin of error, so is x8 and x16 no?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the solution for me is always to play the shitton other good games i have and play the latest unoptimized AAA jank when I upgrade my pc 5 years later and can get them for $5 on steam and run at 160fps :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, wat hobbes said

i play DSP a lot and stellaris with friends sometimes and i'm on a 3950x right now but i'm seriously considering sidegrading to 5800x3d because a) i no longer regularly require that much cpu power and b) stellaris performance difference between 5800x and 5800x3d is over 110% lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just buy 800x3d at that point lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

tl;dr if buying the x3d is stretching your budget, it's probably not worth it

yeah, the only thing i'd add here is, if you're primarily a simulator/mapgames player, check some benches for x3d and decide if you want to skip a gpu upgrade and spend that money on an x3d instead because it's a minor boost in some but a complete goddamn gamechanger in others lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

Would going from a 5600X to a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade? I play a lot of paradox games and Factorio and similar stuff

i saw some german dude benchmark his lategame stellaris saves (just let the game run with zero input for 360 days several times on each cpu) when he upgraded from 5800x to 5800x3d and he saw a 117% game speed increase at fastest setting lmao

stellaris is somewhat of an outlier because it's a 4x and a paradox game so late game gets really stupid, but even in "normal" games like factorio people see a 50% increase

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VorpalFish posted:

The only acceptable alternative to usbc for charging small consumer electronics is magsafe, and even then only if usbc charging is also enabled.

Fight me.

no this is the correct opinion

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't remember but tbred was the super-orb generation, right? goddamn was that thing loud lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't you just tell steam to only launch games on vcache'd cores?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The 7800X3D is probably the most sensible option for gaming, but I'm genuinely interested to see if there's enough smarts in the drivers or OS to schedule games that benefit from either the extra cache or higher frequencies to the appropriate CCD on a 7950X3D. That way you get the best of both worlds.

you can do this very easily. i don't remember what the command is on windows but you can launch apps locked to certain cores easily, there's even an option to disable hyperthreading specifically for an app and poo poo like that

there's no way microsoft is going to maintain a list of games that run better on big cache or raw freq for you though, so you'll have to janitor your cores yourself :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
like i posted half a page ago, the "fix" is very simple but there's no way microsoft is going to maintain a list of apps that work well on certain kinds of cores, so unless you want to janitor that poo poo just get a 7800x3d

best case scenario is probably some script or app on github that does it for you

e: that factorio graph is insane tho lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

There are three take-aways for me, when looking at the sci/eng workloads.

a HPC friend of mine says they're getting a ton of the 1gb cache epyc racks as soon as they get their hands on them because they're just insane for certain workloads and can't believe it took so long for a manufacturer to deliver that poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Steve Nexus is right

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a lot (maybe most, even?) motherboards these days that lack a pc speaker instead beep through your on-board garbage ac97 chip, which is very funny because people definitely remember to plug their speakers in when building a pc, and also many new monitors totally don't ship with builtin speakers you're supposed to use through dp/hdmi

it's all very stupid because one of those tiny pc speakers adds probably $.03 to the BOM?

e: and the mobo mfgs will probably take the reasonable way out of this mess and start shipping bluetooth with their motherboards so you can hear the beeps on your anroid phone

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i leave my pc on 24/7 because it's 2023 and idle chips sip barely any power, the difference between a full blown desktop at idle with the monitor off and a NAS is maybe a dozen watts
plus, the fans all turn off, what with all the giant heatsinks designed to dissipate a gorillion watts, so unless it's doing something heavy or gaming, it's silent, too

instead, my pc is the only "real" computer that's in the apartment and i skip all the NAS/htpc/whatever else other people run in addition to their pc, and run that poo poo on the pc instead. it's got more than enough power for the desktop experience to not get bogged down by whatever else is happening on the network, what with the 16 cores

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A modern computer

great post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i do have some old noctua case fans that run at 200rpm because positive pressure, but they will just shut off if i set them below 15%

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Abit was good but EPoX was one of the interesting standouts from that time to me. Couldn't believe at the time they had to leave the market along with others like Iwill.

epox was my first mobo with the boot code display
unfortunately they got hit really really bad by the bad capacitor batches lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

WTF is "AMD Link"?

literally just steam link but red, afaik

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
with higher contrast you'll also want higher resolution. it's a vicious cycle :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have a M32Q and i only hope it lasts long enough for microled to filter down to consumer screens :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
assuming very late game stellaris, game runs about a day per second, so probably?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
honestly, with a desktop pc raw cpu freq can actually manifest in a visible change in games, with smoother framerates and whatnot, and those hardly load more than a couple threads so as long as you can keep that from throttling you're fine

for most other workloads i don't really care if i'm hitting 4.8 or 4.4 ghz allcore. it's a 10% difference and i don't care if i'm waiting 30 or 33 minutes for <task> to finish. obviously for poo poo that takes days to finish 10% is again a big difference but then you're probably in threadripper or even server rack territory and those are completely different beasts anyway :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
sometimes i wonder if i should sell my 3950x and go for a cheaper and much faster in games 5800x3d now that i don't use all that cpu power regularly, but a couple times a year something really dumb happens that makes me glad i still have all the goddamn threads

usually it's work related poo poo, but i'm playing stationeers with friends since a patch landed last week, and it's really nice to be able to run both the dedicated server and the game on my computer and still have the game perform normally

i was worried because internet is littered with people complaining how vpses aren't beefy enough so as soon as you turn on ventilation in a big base everyone starts desyncing unless you go for a monstrously expensive one with many cores/ram, and how it's impossible to run the dedicated server and the game on the same machine and have a playable framerate, but i'm here just cruising along at 60-80% cpu usage and 90fps lmao

thanks amd

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you say this every time it's mentioned? Or am I remembering incorrectly. In any case, no one gives a gently caress.

i do

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love how we're just pretending ram usage is the issue with electron now

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
personally i don't like how electron apps universally perform like the lovely web 2.0 apps they are, but hey, if you like waiting half a second for your apps to respond to basic input, more power to you :shobon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's not even limited to electron anymore, but it was lovely web apps that normalized that bullshit, and it's electron that moved it to the desktop app experience, and microsoft is now bravely following suit with actual native apps performing like absolute poo poo, seemingly without a loving care in the world that computers 3 billion times faster than those that existed in the 90s are slower for the end user

it's even more jarring on macos or linuxes where immediacy is still present to some degree and then you install a discord/slack/etc and suddenly everything feels like you're computing through molasses

but sure, electron apps are just fine because you have too much ram now i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

there's some olympic-grade hyperbole happening itt right now. i promise you that the computers of the 90s were orders of magnitude more sluggish than what we have now.

the SSD revolution was goddamn amazing and it arrived at a perfect time when moore was getting slaughtered already anyway, but that was a best-case-scenario one time event, and most of the boost that came with it has since been squandered, with windows 11 on a modern box at times appearing to behave as bad or worse than a win98 shitbox, *despite* the SSD difference

but hey, we have 5 second boot times now! good thing too, because S3 sleep no longer works. better shut down your laptop every time you stop using it for 10 minutes, lmao

:commissar: the entire OS industry and start over imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's super easy to just have process groups run on a single chiplet though, and if you spent $1000 or whatever on your cpu, surely you know how to do that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you still have access too all the threads, though? you just can't run the cache sensitive threads on the low-cache cores, and since that post was talking about games, there's no game that needs both the cache and 16 threads to run well so far

i mean poo poo, i'm still on a 3950x which has l3 cache only shared by 2 cores and it runs 8 thread games fine because even with going through the interconnect the cache is still tons faster than accessing ram

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is it still better in gaming if you tell games that profit from the extra cache to only launch on x3d cores and games that profit from raw clock speed to run on faster non-x3d cores?

actually interested if anyone did that kind of benchmark, though obviously budget wise it's probably never worth it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Are there any games where a plain 7800X or 7950X beats an X3D?

i'm sure there's one, somewhere, where it gets a couple extra frames from the higher clockspeed? probably something old that fits just fine in the smaller cache like counterstrike :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is AMD really going to be shipping product where only the left-most digit is moved up from a 7 to an 8, but all the rest of the digits (meaning the actual technical specifications) are the same?

i think this partly comes down to OEM pressure
laptops are like loving cars now, you need a new year model every.. year, numbers *must* go up

except useful numbers like size of disk or ram, cpu perf, resolution, etc. those can stay too low just fine for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also online games where there's 500 people running around

having the basic character data for all those 500 people stored neatly in cache can make a gigantic difference