Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

One of the things that AMD said ahead of the launch is that their bonding method is effectively the same thing that is done to wring gauge blocks. The effect is described in this video:

https://youtu.be/qE7dYhpI_bI

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if this can manage the extremes of the operating specs that regular monolithic silicon can. It’s pretty much just cohesive forces keeping everything together.

I’m sure it’ll be fine in spec, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the cache pops clean off or peels when someone tries an LNO2 overclock from the temperature differential and the aspect ratio of wide and flat silicon bodies resting on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The LPDDR5 on the Steam Deck with a low power RDNA2 iGPU is already pretty great for 800p, so it’s only going to get better.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah probably 5950X or 5800X3D. It’s very workload dependent. I’m looking forward to getting a 5800X3D for generative design/simulation work with CAD.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dude the Wii U came out one year before Haswell, of course it’s having trouble emulating that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been Very Annoyed ™️ by the Google hardware experience for the last 3 years but a Zen Chrome tablet tickles some very nerdy neurons.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Unbelievable in TYOOL 2022 that Linux has better USB performance than Windows. Could this finally be the year???

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What are you talking about? 5000 series was a pretty big improvement over the 3000 series.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zen+ was just a refresh of Zen 1, your narrative is way off. Zen 3 has less in common with 2 than + compared to 1.

If you’re just disappointed that each market segment has the same amount of cores as the previous 5 iterations, just say that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ok then just say that next time instead of making a bunch of poo poo up whole cloth lmao

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh my B didn’t check the chain. Sorry friend poster.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I hope Qualcomm and Microsoft do since it not only benefits future customers buying Windows ARM machines, but also for those running Windows 11 ARM on ASi, like you said.

I played around with a number of engineering apps I use under Windows 11 ARM emulation using my M1 Max; I had an issue with a few, but by and large the apps worked well and it was still pretty snappy.

What software have you tried? I’ve been curious about SOLIDWORKS, but I haven’t found anyone who’s actually tried to use it outside a few old Reddit posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Canned Sunshine posted:

I've used CFD software (Ansys, Simflow) with varying levels of success, and then a few AutoDesk products (Revit, AutoCAD) that worked depending on the version, strangely enough (2022, 2024 worked for me, while 2023 had issues). I've used a few others too (WaterGems, Flow2D, HEC-RAS) without any real problems.

I installed and ran Solidworks briefly using a prior model, but haven't really used it at all. It ran after I made a few adjustments I had seen online, but it did feel a bit slow at times with the model I used.

Neat, thanks!

banging fists on table
NVIDIA CPU THREAD, NVIDIA CPU THREAD