Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mount the whole thing inside a mechanical keyboard case with USB-C DP alt mode out and have the hipster est laptop.

I NEED THESE THINGS LISA WHY WON'T YOU GIVE THEM TO ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Palladium posted:

Slightly OT, but when iPhone 7 was already using LPDDR4-4266 last year and yet so many people are still having so many problems running just 2 DDDR4 sticks @ 3000+ MHz on either Intel or AMD systems I guess we hit a brick wall for RAM in a socketable form.

I mean, if whoever's-in-charge-of-RAM-software only had to get like one or two SKUs figured out instead of all of them, we might be there.

Do we know the timings on iPhone RAM?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's totally possible that cost scales with IF/interposer connections. Sure there's a floor on the price, but I mean something using 8 CCXs vs maybe 1 CCX + or 4 Vega NCUs is probably going to be a little different price wise.

That's all just kind of thinking out loud, though. Low end pricing has to be something AMD have figured out of Navi is going to be fully modular like Zen, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My WAG is Navi will by default be a mid range targeted product as a single "sweet spot" (200-300mm I believe is the sweet spot for yields but that is old information) die and they'll scavenge dies or MCM packages as necessary for the low end versions. Its going to be the high end targeted version of Navi that could be really interesting.

If AMD can pull off making 2-4 GPU's on a MCM/interposer work well enough together to fake being a single die big GPU it'd be a big win I think. They'd be able to cover all the product lines with only 1 die from the foundry effectively and still keep production costs down which would be a slick hat trick to pull off. If they manage to pull it off well enough with Epyc/TR I really don't know why they wouldn't be able to with Navi.

Don't you think they might target APU GPU dies and move up from that like the Zen CCX? That was kind of imagining (although maybe that ~200sqmm neighborhood fits that, but I feel like an APU with that size GPU package would be kinda big).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

The problem Navi faces is the same one AMD has faced for years: Nvidia isn't just sitting around waiting for them to catch up.

Give it five years and they might like Intel did :v:

That's not really constructive, but maybe Nvidia will learn from Intel's mistakes/GPUs are further from diminishing returns than CPUs

FaustianQ posted:

This was my impression too, that they'd target something ~80-100mm² and scale from there, as they could then just use a single GPU die for APUs up into Datacenter products. This has the added benefit of massive yields and basically everything being manufactured as something usable, likely nothing would get tossed.

So APU's wouldn't be monolithic anymore either, they'd by MCM'ed and I'm not sure there is a particular disadvantage to this besides higher theoretical cost.

So APU Navi is 1 Zen2 CCX and 1 Navi CCX. A navi low end product is 1 to 2 Navi CCXs, midrange is 3-4 Navi CCX, high end is 4-6 CCX. Datacenter they straight up make a socket for and have something like 6-12 Navi CCX on it and allow customers to scale their workloads and provide for easy upgrades and flexibility.

Yeah, I man a TR/Epyc chip are really just big in general, but most of the cost from those are still silicon, right? The metal for the pins, package, substrate are all still relatively cheap, right? A big rear end package that's still cheap and performs really well is still a desirable thing.

If it turned out the Raven Ridge (or next generation) APUs were larger packages than usual (not likely since they still have to fit on AM4 mobos and cooling solutions) as long as they still hit price/performance/power targets the world keeps spinning.

What'd be really neat is if at some point we were able to customize CPU/GPU CCX combinations. If we got to work inside the TR4 footprint but could get some area based combination of CCXs, I'd go bananas.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am also extremely happy with my R7 1700. It is A Good Chip.

Fingers crossed Raven Ridge is also good.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R3 hits July 27th, but still no APU information. I had thought for sure R3 was going to have integrated graphics, but it looks like they're just 4C/4T SKUs.

LISAAAAAAAAAAA you're tearing me apart!

Fake edit: how have we not been doing The Room quotes for AMD? "Oh hai Mark(Papermaster)"

Now that press event season is largely over, I'm sad I've missed this opportunity.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What is it, 2020 when AMD are done with the WSA? That'll be rad.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R7 1700 is definitely still a good buy also, but I'm probably a heavier user than most with streaming/recording and 3D modeling being big uses for my computer. I never felt particularly bottlenecked in individual tasks by my Broadwell i7 (just when I started multitasking) , but YMMV as always.

I'm also not a super min/maxer either (at least not until APUs start hitting the scene and I get to :science: with them).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The platform is called "Threadripper" I expected nothing less badass.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I feel like I'm the only one who unironically loves this packaging because like the entire Zen lineup it's totally over the top.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Raven Ridge allegedly spotted today, as well.

https://videocardz.com/71232/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-with-radeon-vega-graphics-spotted

1080p30 medium (with Freesync) I'll take for sure, especially if the U indicates a low voltage SKU. Looks like almost double the Iris Pro 640 performance?

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...52-70bcb8d3bca6

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

kirtar posted:

The one problem I have with Ryzen 3 in concept is at that integrated graphics should probably be present in the entry level price range.

I was thinking the same thing, although given AM4 will be a long lived platform and 4C/4T is about the norm right now for a desktop rig, I guess it has a place. You can upgrade to an R7 in a year or two on the same platform and spend the money on a nicer GPU now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

There isn't any iGP on the Zeppelin die and R3 is just that same die again. We wont see Zen with iGP until Raven Ridge, which seeing as how Bulldozer based Bristol Ridge just now showed up today, might be further away than we thought.

Threadripper having 4 dies is so fuckin' weird... the chip he was delidding was clearly an engineering sample and non retail, so maybe the retail units will have 2 dies removed in the diagonal config?

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/890593099952664576

Bristol Ridge has been out with OEMs for like a year now though, hasn't it?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

inkwell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9MdFNQCCE

lmfao. brb going to see threadripper at lollapalooza

:swoon:

Hell yeah CPU division.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if the UK preorder pricing is anything to go by, the APUs will be AMD's 50-100 dollar range for the meanwhile

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/cpu-amd/amd-a-series-socket-am4-apu-processors

Oh nice. That A12 isn't bad at 720p IIRC.

Give me Raven Ridge already! I want to see the laptops! I want to make my SFF gaming boxes!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Freesync 2 monitors on laptops is going to dramatically improve laptop gaming too, I think.

Good golly Ms. Molly, please give me a beefy APU, Freesync 2, IPS, 3:4, and an active stylus. I need it*

Inasmuch as anyone needs a laptop when they have a beefy desktop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I can't discern anything besides 4C/8T and Vega GPU architecture, but I'm glad somebody else got a little hype over it. I'm too thirsty for Raven Ridge news for that little story to be ignored.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean it makes sense that everything about Threadripper is cut down Epyc. Blank silicon in the same shape as the rest of the entire product stack is almost certainly cheaper than getting new heatspreaders for a relatively low quantity part.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I guess it means they only need to create one package, heatspreader, etc and run it through all the same production line processes.

Is the pinout the same too? I guess if a die is destined for one or the other type of chips they can just laser it to set the configuration in hardware.

IIRC it's "the same" but a big set of pins for the TR4 platform aren't there (presumably because the dies aren't there).

I mean, cutting costs where it matters and where it doesn't is important, and I think in general Threadripper is about the most efficiently one can make a HEDT platform. Hell maybe the entire Zen lineup.

Contrary to what RTG says, nobody really cares about FPS/inch anyway, so a monster package is probably fine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...no, no, I call bullshit. There is *no* goddamn way they are pricing TR _THAT_ loving low! Goddamnit, AMD, what happened to not leaving money on the table anymore!? You don't have to do that in order to make Intel hurt anymore, your product is-

*noise of disgust*

Fine. Is that the bottom end of the stack? Are we only getting three variants of TR?

Maybe they do though? Intel has flubbed SKL-X in the face of regular Ryzen, maybe Lisa just wants to keep putting more banana peels under Intel's feet and see what they do with this happening.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Measly Twerp posted:

Ugh. I'm still in the same argument on AnandTech about that Hardware Unboxed benchmark.

And here's my attempt to explain why the test is good and useful for the nth loving time:

Am I crazy? Am I committing some failing of logic? I just don't seem to be getting through to this guy.

I don't know how you handle it over there. The fact that a mod regularly sides with a poster who is "DEFINITELY NOT RACIST BUT" is nuts. Like locks threads when people call him out for it.

I had kind of hoped for a higher caliber of poster given the higher caliber of content on the website, but oh well. Maybe save yourself from the stress and leave the screaming crazies to their own devices?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Some benches popped up of an R7 2700U APU up against the i5 7260U with Iris 640 graphics:

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...us+Graphics+640

Against the A12 9800E:

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...E+CORES+4C%2B8G

And it looks like the GPU is clocked at 300MHz with 11CUs:

https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx40&os=Windows&api=gl&D=AMD+Ryzen+7+2700U+with+Radeon+Vega+Graphics&testgroup=info

I'm getting thirsty Dr. Su.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

From the Sisoft leaks earlier in the year, we know the APUs will do at least 800MHz.

That big Vega has a bunch of really weird bottlenecks (geometry and thermal limiting) gives me the inclination that it's designed for mobile or integrated solutions rather than full fat desktop ones. That's pure speculation, though and I wouldn't know how to confirm that.

Even still, I'm just hoping for laptops that'll do 1080p 60-ish at medium settings with Freesync 2 panels. Even if it takes 95W or so to do, I'm pretty cool with that, especially if it has a desktop equivalent APU so I can get my friends back on PC gaming on that cheap cheap.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/amd-threadripper-review-1950x-1920x/

quote:

AMD Threadripper 1950X review: Better than Intel in almost every way

:toot:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Considering Threadripper already got all the binned dies, what big improvement are you expecting from improved stepping? Surely any major process improvement would just go to a new SKU.

And with 2 years of socket support, if you need the IO more than anything else, you'll get those new SKUs/stepping if the base model will do for the time being.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Single cable docking solutions are very good, and that's a very good use case for TB3. Multiple drives, monitor, and peripherals all connected through one cable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

GN did these, they pushed the RX Vega 56 to 1.025v and not only did the card boost higher than stock (1520Mhz vs ~1400Mhz) but it also consumed some 55W less power than @ 1.2v + OC. RR looks to be running @ ~800-1000Mhz so I'm imagining it's going to sip power.

Did we confirm that it's going weird CU shutoffs with that, so clocks aren't necessarily representative of total performance?

I still very badly want Raven Ridge to be good, but I'm not sure it'll be "console replacement" material in mobile form factors, even with a Freesync 2 panel. Hopefully it will be, but Vega keeps making me sad.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

One of the leaked Raven Ridge APUs looked to be roughly an Xbox One graphics config (704 shaders at 800mhz for Raven Ridge vs 768 at 853mhz in Xbone, but an older shader design), but i think that was a desktop part.

15in Macbook Pro's use a 15w CPU + ~30w GPU (thats roughly the same number of shaders even) and has fairly bad thermal throttling, so 45w is probably the outer edge of the window if you want to get into reasonable sized laptops. 45w is normally the TDP of intel's biggest mobile-specific CPUs too.

Still great for SFF stuff, hopefully the ****HQ or ****HK equivalent models for mobile will be 80-90% of the desktop models combined with Freesync 2 panels.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Daily use for a few months. Update your BIOS, and I think everything except some virtualization stuff is sorted. Even that is on the vendor's end, not AMD IIRC.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SoftNum posted:

I just got done setting up Passthrough on my Ryzen 1700X system and there were no issues. It runs great now, both systems have been stable for a couple days, and (along with passing through an SSD just for windows) I get near native performance out of the system on the benchmarks I've run.

I had enlightenment crash on me a few times, but I switched to i3 and it's been stable, so I think that's e's fault.

I also have yet to run into the stack-crash cache error some people talk about.

Oooh gaming benches looking good or productivity ones?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alternate architecture chat is making me think about x86 emulation running on ARM that got Intel all in a tizzy earlier this year.

Would be cool to have AMD and Qualcomm competing with Intel. But also rip in peace AMD for selling Adreno.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

AMD would have stayed afloat on licensing for Adreno alone, and PowerVR would likely never gotten any contracts with Apple.

Was that another genius Ruiz decision?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's some chatter over on the AnandTech forums about primitives binning tuned for Raven Ridge and not Vega.

I'm so curious about these APUs. I can't wait to get weird with them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I came as quick as I could. 💦

Just some of the stuff that's cropping up around the net is the bench reports clocks at boot, so expecting much higher results based on clocks is probably misguided.

That said, hopefully some of my suspicions about Vega (designed for mobile hence weird bottlenecks) hold true, and that we'll be able to get an enterprise grade laptop with 1080p30+ performance, Freesync 2, and have a number pad.

And really goosing the voltage in a SFF case might be my favorite :science: for a little while, especially since dGPUs are so drat pricey these days.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh poo poo you're one of "those people"

Just get a USB numpad for those rare occasions you actually need it and don't poo poo up your keyboard with that crap

I mean, on a 15" it doesn't require much space and that's kinda my preferred form factor. The numpad is so good for 3D modeling and that's kinda "the thing" I need my computer to do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A coalition forms! There are at least TWO people in this niche!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

It's possible - likely, even - that I'm a dipshit who does stupid wrong stuff but if I have to apply thermal compound to a CPU with pins I do it when it's clamped in the socket.

It is literally inconceivable to me, a fellow frittata, that anyone would apply thermal compound to a CPU that is not firmly in its home.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Guy who works at ASUS on BIOS's says the following at Overlock http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/28240#post_26391661

Which will probably be the main difference (besides maybe thunderbolt and USB-C) between X370/B350/A320 and X470/B450/A420, the 400 series will have all this baked in once on the shelves, while if you already have a 300 series you'll need to update the BIOS. I assume if 300 series boards continue to be sold they'll get updates to support the later chips as well.

More like Ayyyy420

Sorry.

In other news, we have marketing materials for an R5 laptop from HP:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05652570.pdf

It's an Ultrabook type thing, so I'm not expecting much graphics wise, but it's nice to see RR progress.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

More like Ayyyy420

Sorry.

In other news, we have marketing materials for an R5 laptop from HP:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05652570.pdf

It's an Ultrabook type thing, so I'm not expecting much graphics wise, but it's nice to see RR progress.

Holy poo poo I beat WCCFTech to a story:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-raven-ridge-apu-with-radeon-vega-m-gpu-spotted/

Also I think the 16GB SKUs will probably be dual channel. Doesn't help with 2400MHz, but in the mass market Envy line (instead of enterprise ones like the Elitebooks) I'm not totally surprised.

Hopefully there will be SKUs where graphics performance is a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We got Raven Ridge perf leaks:

In short: An MX150 competitor.

Kind of disappointing, really.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Raven-Ridge-Performance-Leaks-APU-GeForce-MX150-Performance

Kind of a weird way to spell “amazing”. The MX 150 has a 25W TDP all on its own, a chip keeping all that in a 35W envelope rules pretty darn hard. Hopefully the higher-watt mobile SKUs will be able to handle medium 900p/1080p@30FPS. This one is awfully close.