Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Got my 1600 to 3.9GHz @1.45v but have decided 3.8GHz@1.35v is a better outcome in regards to heat/perf.

On a MSI B350m Arctic Mortar, Mem is G.Skill TridentZ 16D

Managed to get RAM to 3200 with poo poo clocks but it was performing worse in stuff like cinebench so went for 2933 with lower clocks

Case shot, got a fan hub and some sleeved cables hopefully coming in tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

I'm going to guess they're nT results?

Correct

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SourKraut posted:

Why is the i7-4770K performing worse in Cinebench at 4.4 vs 3.5?

Not sure if those are mine or online results, but my old CPU was a 4770k, did cinebench at 4, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

mayodreams posted:

After much debate, I ended up building a 7700k box and. I wasn't happy with temps even with. H100i v2 until I delidded and replaced the TIM.

I can say that temps on the R5 1600 are pretty drat good, temps maxed at around 63.3 at 3.8@1.35v during prime95 torture. On a h80i v2.

The limitation of the chips is definitely not thermals

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

gwrtheyrn posted:

It is for mine :downs:

What's your loop like? Are you seeing the temps rise in the loop to the same degree? I just don't know how you can be hitting 75o at 1.275v or whatever it was.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

gwrtheyrn posted:

I have pump 240 CPU 140 GPU res. The temps are basically the same as what I was getting with the nh-u12s so it's probably just a lovely chip. The GPU runs super cool so at least that is working

Also that was prime95 with avx on small FFTs or something

Yeah sounds odd, literally the first time I've heard of temps like that? I'd be getting it replaced, surely telling them under water it's hitting those temps would be grounds for a replacement.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If you remove the block, how's the thermal paste being distributed around on the top of the CPU? Is the base of the CPU block good and flat?

If he's got custom WC loops I assume he knows how to put thermal paste on. Better to be safe I suppose.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If I can get my finances organized I'm really thinking it's time I built a new main desktop, and the R5 1600X is looking like what I will probably want to build around. Will probably go for an X370 mobo in part just because I want the extra SATA ports. Aside from money being a concern, I really kind of want the motherboards to have a chance to be developed a little longer, too. I really don't like getting first-generation anything.

If worried about cash and you're going to OC get the 1600 non x

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Oh jesus christ

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I'm going to reseat my cooler over the weekend (AM4 bracket on sideways), I just did a rather large blob straight down the middle so will see how much coverage that got.

Actually I think there was a hard chunk of compound on the end that is probably on there, might be helping with temps? :D

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....You mean the hard bit of compound that's the first thing to come out of the tube when you open it up after having not used it in a long-rear end time? Yeah, that's probably causing half your problems alone, if it was particularly dry and crusty.

Correct, but I'm maxing at 63.3 degrees at 1.35v

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My bad, I got you mixed up with gwrtheyrn.

Haha, yeah I figured. Was going to do some work on this tonight but a bit cbf. Will recable and do all that poo poo tomorrow, then try get my ram working at 3200 with non poo poo timings, push for 4ghz and try some more benching :D

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Spent the last few hours cleaning up and benching.

FYI my CPU coverage for thermals wasn't too bad, re-did it anyway.

Managed to get the CPU to 3.9 for cine and topped out at 1308, got 1279 at 3.8:

Pushed it to 3.95@1.5v for some 3dMark runs, managed to get top spot for 1600/1080

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12409552

And case pic:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Updated to the MSI A3 bios for my mortar arctic, ram is stable at 3200 now at the purchased timings and my 3.8GHz OC is stable at 0.0125v less. Good stuff.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

MrBadidea posted:

My old buildserver finally started to choke a few weeks ago, so I bit the bullet and replaced it before it died entirely. I gotta throw some more memory at it, and actually sort out the memory clocks (the current stuff absolutely refuses to post above 2133), but it's absolutely smoking what I'd have been able to afford for the same budget from Intel.

I finally got down to getting some actual comparison numbers yesterday using UE4 lighting builds. Something something non-scientific, single runs, same map, same quality settings. Default settings uses 6 threads for the Intel machine and 14 for the Ryzen. The 1700X machine was paging hard for most of it too, so I have no doubt another 16Gb would make this comparison even more ridiculous.

Actual compile times for the engine got similarly destroyed; from ~90 minutes down to an average of ~20 for a fully clean build :aaaaa:

Impressions so far are pretty good. I've not had a chance to sit down and game on it yet to get a feel for it, but for sure it destroys heavy workloads at a fraction of the price. The only thing letting it down so far has been bios related; it'll occasionally start up and not detect any disks until it gets rebooted again, and it's strangely reluctant to run the memory any faster than 2133.

What mobo are you running? Maybe a beta bios/updated bios if you haven't might help.

For mem mine wouldn't go past 2933 and then a couple bios versions ago it started working at 3200 16/18/18/36.

Also I've found setting the Mem in Ryzen Master was more stable for me and also for upping the SoC (Went to 1.05v for mine, MSI calls the SOC -> NorthBridge).

B350M Mortar Arctic, GSkill TridentZ 3200 C16.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Turdsdown Tom posted:

whatup peeps, just built a new rig with a 1700X and an MSI B350 Tomahawk (thanks for the cool bundle, microcenter)

of course, like everyone else memory has been an issue. the RAM I got ended up not being on the MSI's QVL and only seems to work at 2133 even though they're 2400 rated sticks. even after enabling XMP and switching it to 2400, which it reports successfully in the BIOS, checking things in CPU-Z returns that the RAM is still running at 2133. honestly, I'm not even worried right now, I'm sure I'm just loving up and forgetting some settings or something. made sure I flashed the latest BIOS as soon as I booted it for the first time, too. overall though, really liking the 1700X so far

My MSI board was doing weird poo poo with the xmp profiles where I still had to manually put in the voltage for the RAM, try setting it to 1.35v and try again, if still no joy up the SoC to 1.05. If that still doesn't work you can push the SoC to 1.1 (on my MSI board it calls the SoC "NB" voltage which is terrifying and weird), you could also add more voltage to the RAM but I'm not 100% sure what is safe for 24/7 usage on DDR4.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SoC will only help mem stability right? It won't help with CPU?

My 1600 is a bit of a pig and I doubt I could get to 4GHz but I haven't pushed the SoC past 1.05

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It can help with both. Exactly how much? Dunno, probably varies per chip. Going by the video it doesn't seem an issue to set it to 1.1v though.

Might give it a crack over the w/e. Highest stable I got for cinebench was 3.9 but at stupid volts.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

PerrineClostermann posted:

I look at my laptop with an Intel CPU and AMD GPU and laugh every time :smug:

I think the opposite is pretty common in new builds of the last few months. R5 w/ a 1060/1070 is a pretty good rig.

I upgraded my 1080 to a ti and chucked a Kraken G12 on it the other week. The R5 1600 isn't going anywhere though... maybe it will once threadripper gets here.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wasnt bitcoin mining the cause of 480 sellouts as well?
Yep

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

No word on Vega, what a let down. Still time I guess

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

No Vega stuff until end of July.

RIP AMD shares.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

redeyes posted:

Word around the campfire is Ryzen is still unstable.. even after the latest round of BIOS and memory updates. Not good.

Really? Mines been stable since release and my ram has run at advertised speed since a bios release on the 26th of April...

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Got my 1600 to 4GHz tonight for some benchmarks, waiting patiently for threadripper... if it makes it to 5GHz I would probably jizz all over my mobo. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12889394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

wargames posted:

Slower rams effect intel way less then amd.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of the x299 reviews comparing with Ryzen stuff running at woeful memory speeds... guess they are trying to keep intel happy.

I know just the jump from 2933 to 3200mhz on my 1600 in cinebench made a noticeable difference. Going from this 2133 to 3200 would be rather drastic I feel.