Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Grain of salt, but going up a node for a console revision is interesting:

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1390244523712794630

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Oh I read it as the consoles being 5nm now and going up to 6.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah that's just me not having had my coffee yet and wishing for some minor Slim revision to fix their dumb coil whine and fan noise issues.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Nah, I just haven't tried buying one yet because of the litany of weird hardware issues. The controllers also seem to need some rework.

Coil whine is one of the worst sounds in the world after I first heard it on my GPU during stress tests. And it's one of those things that reviews struggle to cover.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Time to rip some threads?

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/1395392492690984969

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I think the main difference is the viscosity or thickness of the paste. Noctua's is very easy to spread, but people don't have as much ease of use with certain other prominent pastes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO posted:

The 5900x I have is running at 90C on heavy load and I'm starting to thing I maybe did something wrong when I installed a noctua d15s. My previous build was with a 4790k also with a noctua.. something and I never saw CPU temps spiking this much or going that high. Is this just normal for this gen of Ryzen CPUs or did I gently caress something up?
I would try removing the cooler and see how much of the CPU is covered. An X pattern is much easier to get right than a pea dot.

Also make sure the fans are blowing the right way, at the right speed at the right temp/idle/load, etc.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
technically it's puerto rico because of the tax breaks for cryptodorks

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
man, i don't know why i expected their 3d cache cpu's to have more cores than this, but this is not the hedge against intel's push i thought it'd be

not sure whether i'll do an am4 upgrade of my cpu if that's it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

I guess supply constraints so do the CPU that has one chiplet. 5900X or 5950X would require two chiplets to be stacked with the extra cache, and 5600X isn't premium enough. Guess it's a mind-share halo product rather than a mass seller.

Disappointing lack of info about Zen4, other than it can boost to 5GHz all core.
And having only one chiplet means no CCX latency for synthetic benchmarks I guess. As a pure gaming recommendation, it's fine, but it's just ironic for the multicore company to now stick to 8C.

I was looking forward to seeing what 3D cache might mean for interconnect performance.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

do they usually announce cpu prices at these things? does the lack of a 5800x3d price tag imply it's not gonna be pretty?
they're not going to announce prices before intel do, especially with intel being in a position where they'll probably be more competitive than in a long time

intel's event in 1h22m

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
When the 5800X3D presumably comes out, I assume it's also going to run a little cooler because they're downclocking it a bit?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

When the 5800X3D presumably comes out, I assume it's also going to run a little cooler because they're downclocking it a bit?
well this looks absolutely great in hindsight doesn't it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
best summary of the interview:

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1504220601426358279

seems pretty good to a humble ppt undervolter like myself

kliras fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 17, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
pretty cool how the l3 outperforms dram at ~24mb

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1505902850467057665

can't wait for the super nerdy 5800x3d benchmarks

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
MSI posted their AGESA roadmap for people trying to wrap their head around BIOS versions, fTPM, and all that nonsense leading up to the CPUs coming out this month.

MSI posted:

Most AMD’s newly launched Ryzen processors will be available on the market in April. Here is the MSI motherboard support list for the new processors and the 1.2.0.6c /1.2.0.7 BIOS plan.

X570/B550/A520/X470 MAX/B450 MAX series:

The current AGESA for MSI X570/B550/A520/X470 Max/B450 MAX series is 1.2.0.6c, which supports the new Ryzen 5000/4000 series processors. Will have AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS in May. AGESA 1.2.0.7 is expected to fix the fTPM stuttering issue.

Non-MAX X470/B450 series:

The latest BIOS for non-MAX X470/B450 motherboards go with AGESA 1.2.0.5, which also supports the new processors. There’ll be BIOS update to 1.2.0.6c in April. However we may skip AGESA 1.2.0.6c and go for AGESA 1.2.0.7 for an efficiency upgrade in May.

X370/B350/A320 series:

Current 1.0.0.6 BIOS does not support the new processors, except some A320 motherboards support the new processors with AGESA 1.2.0.5. New BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.6c will be updated in April. AGESA 1.2.0.6c update will start from 400 series and then 300 series. If the 1.2.0.6c schedule is close to 1.2.0.7 schedule, we may skip AGESA 1.2.0.6c and go for AGESA 1.2.0.7 for an efficiency upgrade.

The AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS release will start from 500 series, then 400 Max series, 400 non-MAX series and 300 series.

https://reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ttk746/msi_motherboard_bios_support_list_for_amd_newly/

kliras fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
was wondering why so little happened when the embargo dropped for the new lower-end ryzens, looks like they barely managed to send out samples to reviewers

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1511339029526368258

gn dropped a review earlier today

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1511221326127767554

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 5, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
just got a price drop alert i apparently still had for the 5900x at $399 if anyone's looking to do their last am4 upgrade

other cpu's like the 5950x also got a drop

gonna be fun to see the 5800X3D benchmark the 20th

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i wish more specific optimizations could have been made for the cache size if amd hadn't already announced that it would be the last of its kind for the time being, but at least there's an actual cpu to program towards in case we end up back here again

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1513768891071307778

general parity with intel except when there are huge performance uplifts:

fun times

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i really wanna see what a horribly programmed game like elden ring performs like with the 5800X3D

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cygni posted:

TechPowerUp posted an early review of the X3D:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d/

Pretty much parity with the 12700k and 12900k and splits their Microcenter pricing with its MSRP. Not sure if I would recommend it over Alder Lake for an all-new build, but a very nice final upgrade path for someone who bought a Zen+ or Zen2 many moons ago.
the other initial review also suggested some intel benefits with ddr5/faster ram; i don't envy reviewers who have to figure out each matrix configuration that might show an interesting result for each product they're reviewing

e: also worth noting that their performance/$ chart doesn't take into account the 5900x and 5950x discounts i mentioned earlier

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 12, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
5800XD embargo is up!

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1514588772809285636

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFNoKUHjcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDUIJalxis

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
110w vs 275w, jesus christ lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's pretty amazing that eight cores is just considered "gaming cpu" nowadays and higher is "workstation", really awesome how far we've come

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
benchmarks results like that are mostly for peak load. ryzen's been pretty bad at managing p-states on my end, so i had to run it very high all the time which is more expensive than intel automatically managing the clock and load of the cpu

computers turning off because the psu can't provide enough power aside, cpu coolers can only dissipate so many watts, so there will be some fun cut-off points where certain coolers might not cut the mustard. i'm not a huge heatsink benchmark person, so i don't know what the listed vs practical limits are, but the good old hyper 212 evo has a listed 150w cap for instance - even though it's a bit more complicated. time to get familiar with fan curves

then again, so much hardware is designed to wring out an extra 5% of performance to look good in benchmarks at the expense of temperature, noise, and sometimes even performance itself due to the throttling this incurs. capping performance through undervolting or some other hard cap goes a long way and should probably be the default for people who aren't engaging in fps pissing matches. 5800X3D having a harder cap on overclocking actually makes it more compelling to me rather than less but ymmv

it's going to be interesting to see what the 40-series will mean for power use and cooling needed; everyone's kinda talking about worst-case scenarios but let's wait and see

e: this chart from hub is instructive:

keep in mind this is with a 3090ti

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 14, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cygni posted:

There are some bizarre outliers and conflicting results out there in some of the reviews (what the hell is going on in the Far Cry games), but this is a pretty interesting outlier:

That’s an insane uplift over the 5800X. SimFolks take note.
read somewhere that ms flight sim is pretty bad for ryzen, guess the cache makes up for that in a pretty nuts way?

that being said, dx12 is available as a test branch, so maybe something will change later

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XB3yo74dKU

e: video didn't embed the first time for some reason

kliras fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 17, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
5800X3D now available. doesn't seem in stock locally, but you can buy directly from amd

prices i get are 516€ with 22€ in shipping

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

explosivo posted:

How much of a gaming performance upgrade am I looking at if I went from a 3900x to a 5900X3D?
here is the uplift just from 5800x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw97hj18OUE

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

5800X3D now available. doesn't seem in stock locally, but you can buy directly from amd

prices i get are 516€ with 22€ in shipping
aaand it's gone

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
5800x to 5950x only makes (some? any?) sense if you already have a computer to put the old cpu into

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm still considering a CPU upgrade, and wanted to ask if the occasional hitch in a game would be reflective of a 1% low and be improved by a stronger processor? I have a 3600X and mostly it does great, but in some games it will very occasionally have a stutter that as far as I can tell appears to be CPU-based. Otherwise this would happen when my game FPS was perfectly fine otherwise, comfortably over 60 frames and usually higher. This might be placebo, but killing a few background processes seemed to help eliminate this. The games where this would happen were usually more intensive, like BL3 or CP2077, as I recall.

My Windows install is pretty barebones as it is used almost entirely for games, so no third-party antivirus or anything running in the background.

My GPU is a 2070 Super, as a point of reference.
edge cases can include such things like

- excessive usb polling from busted devices
- aforementioned amd ftpm issue
- less-than-great fan curves (eg fan/temp hysteresis) and other cooling issues
- minimum cpu usage being kind of busted on amd (try setting it high in power options and see if you notice a difference)
- god awful peripheral/rgb firmware, which is to say most of it

i'd just try to find some frame time benchmarks and compare, because all kinds of things can cause judder

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
by coincidence, i just happened to come across a bugged galahad aio. might wanna listen and see if you get the same rattling. they probably mounted in a bad way, but worth looking out for

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s probably air in the pump?
probably, but lian li has had some weird qa issues. i'm still gonna get a case from them, but it just doesn't hurt to check quickly. it might also be the mounting orientation of the waterblock with the loop not going above the pump and stuff like that

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what is more fluid than a ryzen bios

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1517499962023632897

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if there's one thing i learned about reddit, it's that it's literally the worst place for overclocking advice. i can't even begin to imagine the sacrifices that will be made in the name of bclk

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
was doing some research of amd bios and agesa ahead of getting a 5800X3D wondering what i missed out on from now updating for a long time, and man, we ryzen users have put up with this all the way up to right now lmao

Tom's Hardware posted:

AMD's Newest BIOS Code Reportedly Wreaks Havoc on Performance, Stability

By Aaron Klotz published February 18, 2022

Stay away from 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates

AMD's recently released AGESA 1.2.0.5 code for modern AMD Ryzen and Athlon CPUs has been plagued with issues. According to multiple reports, BIOS updates packing the new AGESA code have been prone to serious problems, including CPU performance losses, memory instability, overclocking bugs, and much more.

As a reminder, AGESA code is used to create a BIOS. According to complaints on Reddit, multiple Ryzen users have noted their CPU performance has dropped with the new AGESA code in benchmarks such as Geekbench 5 and Cinebench R20. Some also report higher CPU temperatures and possible WHEA 19 errors when compared to the previous AGESA 1.2.0.3c patch.

But the problems get worse -- according to DeskModder, AGESA 1.2.0.5 is prone to serious PBO and memory bugs as well. High-frequency memory kits such as DDR4 3600MHz are no longer running stably with a rated XMP profile for some users.

The news outlet also confirmed further Reddit reports about reduced CPU performance, with CPU frequency drops of up to 100MHz in single-core and multi-core workloads. Additionally, 5900X and 5950X users have complained about the 2nd CCD "collapsing" with the new AGEA update.

(...)

DeskModder notes that most of these issues have been a problem since AGESA 1.2.0.4 -- with the exception of the CPU-related performance bugs. Somehow, AGESA 1.2.0.5 inherited all the issues found in the previous version while adding bugs of its own.

Thankfully it appears some motherboard manufacturers are acting proactively. According to ComputerBase, Asus completely halted official BIOS updates to AGESA 1.2.0.5 and will be skipping it in favor of AGESA 1.2.0.6b.

However, most motherboard manufacturers, including Biostar, Gigabyte, and MSI, still have official AGESA 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates available on their respective websites.

If you are an AMD Ryzen owner, we would highly recommend staying away from both AGESA 1.2.0.4 and 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates if at all possible. For now, it appears that 1.2.0.3c is the latest stable AGESA code until AGESA 1.2.0.6b patches arrive which should hopefully fix all these problems.

and agesa 1.2.6.0b sounds like a mess as well according to reddit and official forums

1.2.0.7 it is!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
someone did an obscene number of gaming benchmarks comparing 5900X to 5800X3D. not only that, they went and tested the difference in performance with overclocked ram

memory overclocking is supposedly easier on later generations, so maybe it's worth checking out

here's the main thrust:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i get the impression from reading online experiences that asus have solid qc but abhorrent customer service. if it works, awesome, but if it doesn’t and you need to use your warranty, it’s gonna suck