Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd say the thunderbolt thing is only a requirement for those salivating over an eGPU. It also seems pretty "easy" for apple to implement TB on chipset.
Isn't AMD's APU design really going to be the key thing, at least for laptops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Has there been any actual benchmarks or at least informed discussion on the relative performance between the Intel w/Radeon and HBM2 and EMIB vs the AMD 2400G w/ Vega?

The Intel thing seems like it's going to be way quicker with the HBM2 in there giving it mad bandwidth. Maybe we won't know until the Intel poo poo launches?

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8809g

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sure there's a point. We can compare the interconnect technology, bandwidth v cu's v frequency and cost is an interesting metric as well. There is crossover too... Do you buy a nuc, or build a probably cheaper alternative from an AMD apu?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just use my brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner to clean off my front case filter. I suppose it's possible I could damage the fan behind it, but so far so good.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think it's old news that AMD is seriously binning the 8C/16T stuff... still weird to me that the 8/16 is at a higher clock than the 6/12. I guess Intel is doing the same thing right now. I feel like historically there would be a lower core count, higher clock-speed sort of trade-off. Maybe I'm imagining it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A 2500k is so much faster :)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So, maybe HPET is forced on in my system from MSI afterburner and it is affecting my CPU performance? I'll have to look it up and check. If it is forced on, what deleterious effects could it have on my system if I restore the default setting? Phone posting, I'll have to investigate later.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Has anyone played with very high speed memory in their Ryzens? 3800 or faster mahz? Stuff like this?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ICE&PageSize=36

Haven't had much luck finding any performance comparisons or how often these speeds are achievable.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

NUMA awareness has been a thing for a long time and if the specific program does have problems due to memory latency from the architecture it will be completely within the developers ability to optimize around, as the layout will be exposed to the application.

How does this type of thing work? Is information about the architecture exposed to applications which can request low latency cores? Is the information only exposed to the OS which doles out cores per application?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of getting a cheaper Ryzen sooner and upgrading to Ryzen 2 next year selling the old one, but I think again and there's still no reason to not just get a more expensive version and sell that. Weird.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f7GxFT/asrock-fatal1ty-x470-gaming-itxac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-itxac

Is this one bad?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
More channels is more difficult to lay out on the motherboard, and by nature requires more modules, so there will certainly be a premium going forward.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Should I install AMD chipset drivers?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My board supports 3466 and my 3600 memory runs at 3466 and no higher despite throwing power at it. I can tighten up most of my primary timings, but the system refuses to even try running the TC faster than xmp. Kind of odd.

My 2600x will boost to 4.25 GHz but will instantly freeze at the suggestion that it clock any higher at all manually.

I haven't tried very hard yet, but I guess I should be happy that everything just works beyond expectations out of the box.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's great! An enthusiast can literally use the lowest end Ryzen for just about anything. If one wants to spend more, there are options!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Color me extremely skeptical. My anecdote is my 2600x on a giant air cooler immediately saw, and continues to see 4250 MHz in single and double core activity. Sits around 4000mhz well running all out, dropping roughly linearly as temperatures increase.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Join the threads up. Fanboy babies already "ruin" both threads individually.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

B-Mac posted:

The b450 MSI tomahawk seems to be the best vrm out of the b450 boards.

Seems to me that looking at a Ryzen 2, that a x470 board is going to be the wiser choice

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
are you not running your memory in xmp mode?

fake edit: noob

real edit: (reg dates)

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 11, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Literally no one has spent more than 20m of their life on one of my posts, not even an effortpost, and I'm glad about that.

I've come close, but yeah, it's a drat good thing.
:iceburn:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

apropos man posted:

One could be programmed to act as a wireless adaptor, another for a USB chipset, another for a RAID controller, etc etc.

These things currently, are the opposite of a general purpose processor. These are examples of dedicated hardware which is built for a relatively simple task and allows it to be small and fast and efficient. They are also very cheap to produce. FPGA's are expensive like a CPU, but can be programmed repeatedly to optimize certain instructions.

edit: perhaps the next step is faster communication between an APU and separate graphics hardware. I think this is possibly with AMD stuff, but not very practical.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 20, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have been meaning to do an effortpost, but you would have a decent use case for StoreMI which you can get for free. It'll put the drives together and as it's a tiered storage solution, it'll put your more commonly used junk onto the faster device.

The above is an NVME drive as indicated by it using PCI express lanes.

Also 256? At least put 500 on the SATA device.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 22, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would certainly spend the extra 10 bucks to go to zen+. You get a more reliable memory controller and a few hundred more megahertz without manual overclocking. Unless you really need the core count for a specific application. 2600X will be better for games and any sub 8 core optimized applications.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why will implementing pcie 4 speed up IF?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Didn't we figure out that DDR4 has as much bandwidth as the old edram has? Is it latency that's the issue?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ya, we have a source on chiplet having the IO? Single CCX for 8/16 in consumer stuff is a pretty big deal. Makes anything less probably very cheap to produce. Heat to surface area is going to be pretty high on those. Wonder if the chips have higher temperature tolerance.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Didn't those ultra high frame rates have more to do with the games physics than speed?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also Quake stuff.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krailor posted:

They won't need a new socket/pinout for PCIe 4 (or 5); the layout is exactly the same as 3 (and 2 and 1). They just keep increasing the bandwidth each gen while keeping everything else the same. This way they can keep all the hardware backwards/forwards compatible.

The AM4 socket supports 24 lanes of PCIe; 4 of these lanes are reserved for the chipset (X470/B450/etc) and is what's used for all the I/O the chipsest handles (SATA,NIC,Extra PCIe lanes/etc). It's up to the board manufacturer how the other 20 lanes are used; generally they use 4 for an NVME connector and a pair of PCIex16 connectors that can do x16 or x8x8.

When an add-in-board is plugged into one of these PCIe sockets the CPU and AIB auto-negotiate the fastest PCIe link speed they can both handle. Generally they both support PCIe3 so that's what's used but if you put in an older PCIe2 only card then the link speed will auto-negotiate down to that level and everything will 'just work'.

It's no different with PCIe4; the CPUs will start supporting 4 as their highest link speed and will try to use that initially but auto-negotiate down to 3 if that's the fastest that the AIB supports.

Theoretically if the PCIe traces between an x16 slot and the CPU on a current AM4 board are overbuilt enough to handle the increased bandwidth that PCIe4 brings then that board would start supporting PCIe4 when you dropped in a new CPU and AIB that both supported it. Now there's tons of business/engineering reasons why this won't happen; but it's theoretically possible.

All this to say it's theoretically possible? It ain't happening.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Perhaps more budget oriented boards deliver 8x pci 4 lanes to graphics cards and 2x to NVME. This decreases pin counts from the CPU, and allows for more storage lanes. There's a million configurations one could imagine. I suspect aside from multi card compute, you won't need more than the bandwidth of 8x pcie4 or 16x pcie3 for years.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you are going to consider three, just put four in.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
At that price, or even $150 it seems like a real good mid range reccomendation for people. Having the Ryzen 2 option coming up is great.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That is not normal behavior, however it is not particularly harmful. Could be a uefi setting.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My ASRock fat1lity is fine... 2600x and 3466 MHz memory.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Betting on Ryzen three is a bit too speculative, imo.

I think when people get a cheaper Ryzen CPU, they are indicating they don't feel the need for the single core performance, or can't afford it now. It's also easier to cool, since it uses less wattage than a high end Intel and comes with a fan. It also may be the case that one doesn't actually need to upgrade for a few more years.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 22, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
For Maya, you probably do want the extra cores, otherwise I'd say to go with a 2600X and upgrade next year. For games and streaming a 2600X is sufficient.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

As a kid haver devoting all my spending to their toys, I consider myself in the "I'm dirt poor" segment
I'm totally fine with buying used parts, but I want AM4 and DDR4 RAM which is not very common on the used market, the 200ge would lessen the blow of a platfrom upgrade and allow me to get a better CPU later.

And the current fastest CPU I own is a Phenom II 840- a 10yr old 3.2GHz quad core. I think the 200ge might be faster?

Were you being sarcastic?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-840-vs-AMD-Athlon-200GE/m3302vsm592714

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I had no idea my CPU was that new, but I am genuinely surprised a dual core 3.2GHz could perform as fast or faster than my 3.2GHz quad core. Is the dual core faster at core intensive take like DVD ripping video encoding?

The page says </=2014, so I think they don't do any dates before that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do you get a measurable improvement in performance compared to just letting the CPU do it's own thing? I wasn't able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean as far as benchmarking performance, I was able to squeeze out slightly higher frequencies, but letting it do it's own thing was just as performant, but more cool and stable.