Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Drakhoran posted:

Kind of. AMD announce five different chipsets for AM4 of which two, the X300 and the A200, where for SFF PCs. So far I believe we've only seen boards based on X370 and B350.
They're not-actually-chipset chipsets, the implementation of which I figure AMD is apparently having a problem with :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

AMD will always have lovely chipsets and building them into the processor won't change that.
FM2 chipsets were actually really, really good. The processors themselves, though :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ECC has the problem where, most of the time it's used properly, but there are people who don't need it at all getting it (like people keeping 25tb of :filez: getting antsy over a single bitflip on lovely movie #875) and then there are mission-critical enterpise PCs that don't use ECC :cb:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 5, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Ryzen HEDT and server ES stuff leaking:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-engineering-samples-update

Looking pretty pretty good.
I can't decide who I like more, nvidia's marketing department or AMD's marketing department

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yeah. Some of the concepts in its design were reputedly evolved from the old P6 but the actual design itself is something else entirely.

Pentium M (Yonah, Banias, Merom?, others too mostly mobile oriented) was more closely related to the P6 than Sandybridge, but even then it was a very much a different architecture vs the original P6 from the mid 90's.
Zen is practically the same thing in regards to its relation to the previous architectures, it's funny how things seem to repeat themselves.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sneaky Kettle posted:

I am wary of this Fatal1ty branding. Wasn't it the case that these things had supposedly optimized, actually terrible network adapters?
that can be ignored by using the generic atheros drivers most installations now default to

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

intel gigabit ethernet is a good NIC and pretty cheap and it's on a lot of AM3 and FM2 boards, even

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

when is the wraith max going to show up

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Scarecow posted:

Maybe the rumors of amd getting crazy high yeilds is true then
they might be getting Samsung fabbed chips right about now :peanut:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

If this is true, zen is even more disruptive then we thought and amd might be profitable one day.

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/870621722051063808

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/870597420958326788
Thanks Jim

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the PCBs are going to be pretty dang thick for that many pins, if you can still find an image of LGA3647 laid horizontally you'd have an idea of how thicc of a pcb that sort of thing needs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

similar problems happened with sandy bridge and didn't really even get fixed until ivy bridge. especially with the P67 :shepicide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what? My old P67-based system was rock-stable (was rev. 3 tho).
early firmware for sandy bridge was really, really bad and had numerous microcode issues

they were fixed pretty quickly (2 months) at least

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

"Intel(R) HD Graphics Gen9; 694C:C0 (1720SP 47C 1GHz, 528kB L2, 10.4GB 800MHz)"

That can't be right, 1720 SPs doesn't divide evenly into the 64SP CU/NCUs that GCN is built from.
likely a type error, 1728 SPs would mean 27 CUs, which must mean it's a MCM design with an intel chip and a rtg gpu

or it could be the GPU on-die along with the intel CPU, in which case :psyduck: on how that will work

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 9, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you do anything more strenuous to a PC other than "play stupid video games and browse web pages" the ryzen 7 will be better in anything that doesn't absolutely demand every cycle of thread #1

there are considerations other than "getting the most FPS in benchwarmermark" to be made

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Klyith posted:

when guys have been posting a bunch of prices in euros and hungarian ft it's also good to forget assumptions like these. between regional price differences and VAT exaggerating the spread between two prices, it's entirely possible that a 7700k *does* cost more than a ryzen + new mobo for him.
That is indeed correct. It costs exactly that much in fact, so in that case it's a tossup whether you want 4c8t with higher single thread or 8c16t with 74-84% of the performance single thread. You also have to get a 30EUR cooler for the 7700k.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 11, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's a hell of a showing for 90% finished architecture, though. i can see why they wanted to release it early, other than that stockholders etc etc

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I don't think they had a lot of other options, since their resources and budget are much more limited. Things seem to be going better now though and they're getting server customers and that's the money train they need to catch like last decade.

AMD has been operating on "chicken head cut off" mode since 2009, they're just surgically putting it back on now that Zen is out

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"okay we might be ready to release this by june maybe july" "uh....corporate says we're releasing march"

:supaburn:

It explains how unprepared the board partners were, too

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the lower 16 core SKUs look like discount runt bins for cheap workstations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

R7 1700+ working with DDR4 3000 out of the box, not mine, but a friends. Vengeance LPX.

The Spire cooler it came with is insufficient with the high ambient (for the UK, anyway, of 32degC) for any clocking prolly, it's hitting 75deg at 3.5Ghz all cores.
you still have to put in requests for am4 mounting kits on virtually every aftermarket cooler, literally nobody was prepared for ryzen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and this here is why cloud providers are excited about epyc

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Unreal. FineWine™ in action. No, but really, is that kind of optimisation in a shipping product really heard of? That's incredible.
sounds like a product released 3 months more before most serious errata has been cataloged

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why the hell isnt threadripper a terrible name for smt?
that's what i was hoping for it to be used for but they used it for something better

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

I really think they should just be re-using the old names that people remember well. Athlon. Opteron. But what do I know.

not til the runt bins for ryzen mobile show up

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I'm now wondering if it'd be possible to MCM two Raven Ridge dies for the TR4 platform. 8C/16T, 1408SP iGPU, 150W, Quad memory.
Put that poo poo in mini-STX (and 7mm motherboard thickness) and we're in business

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

with how the CCX works I'm not sure we're going to see anything but multiples of 4 in practice

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Also apparently the 7401P 24C/48T will come in @ 1075$, only somewhat more expensive than the 1950X. If Epyc and TR4 share a compatible socket then I can only wonder how Intel will get sales on X299 at all.
if they do make them pin compatible and there's actually no difference in pin assignments, I'd wager that threadripper might work on epyc boards (with only 4 DRAM channels/64 PCIE lanes instead of 8/128) but not vice versa

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

DRAM/Flash is also completely price fixed (still), so theres that.
DRAM yes, flash really is in sick demand though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Scarecow posted:

If such a product exists wouldnt the extra 32mb be more like a l4 then extra l3 given it will be on the other 'die'?
1500x has access to the full 16mb cache despite only having 4 active cores so probably

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Intel will just bring out AVX-1024 to stay one step ahead.

Never mind that the chip will have to clock down to 800MHz to avoid spontaneous combustion.
SKL-X has to go down to to 1.3ghz for AVX-512, and AVX-256 downclocks to 65-70% on Broadwell so Intel's advantage there goes from theoretically double to just 30-40% more.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Bristol Ridge has been out with OEMs for like a year now though, hasn't it?
if the UK preorder pricing is anything to go by, the APUs will be AMD's 50-100 dollar range for the meanwhile

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/cpu-amd/amd-a-series-socket-am4-apu-processors

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I imagine using only one socket makes it simpler for the board designers and the unfortunate people who have to design trace paths for this poo poo.

Plus it's a great way to use completely wasted dies that aren't even good for Ryzen 3s.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isndl posted:

Unfortunate? You know Asrock engineers live for this poo poo, they would have gone insane years ago otherwise. :v:
They're in an entire different league, what with the micro-stx project that isn't going to work with about 86% of MXM cards because there was no standard for that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Whoa, back up a sec here. Is this with just straight system RAM? All Iris Pro parts have eRAM built in-die, right?
Only specific SKUs these days. There are Iris Pro parts that don't have any edram

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD is notably better at binning TDP in this product sector and since Kabini they often overestimate when it comes to low wattage parts (the 25w on AM1 is actually never reached unless you overclock for example)

Considering you can get 8 cores to run 35w power draw at 3.0ghz on an 8 core Ryzen, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a 25w 4c8t Raven Ridge, which would definitely chop the legs off of the upcoming 28w quad core Coffee Lake.

e: and with how a CCX works we might actually see 3 core parts, which haven't been seen since the Athlon II days...

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

God, I'd love to work at asrock :allears: Pity they are Taiwan or wherever
Taiwan is genuinely appealing in comparison to a lot of places that consider themselves "first world" these days

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:captainpop:

50-100 plus 150 for the motherboard ain't bad for 4 channels and 44-48 more pcie lanes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Measly Twerp posted:

There are people on the AnandTech forums who think it's superior to Threadripper. They cite poor single threaded performance mainly.
A category rapidly losing its relevance because it's beyond the point of diminishing returns outside of special snowflake cases and lovely adobe software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

does it cook the socket like a 7900x does